Selling my TJ to a private party - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Selling my TJ to a private party

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
jameskjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Selling my TJ to a private party

Hello all this is something I never wanted to do but I have a growing family on the way so I need to sale my TJ. But the good news is I still have the wife's JK and I want to get a jeep commander or an older Jeep cherokee for the extra space. But I have never sold a Jeep to a private party before whats the process? I have my Jeep title once they pay me do I just sign it over to them or do I go with them to the DMV and make sure they get new tags for the jeep? I do not want to get ripped off. I have heard of people buying cars and never updating the tags so the seller is stuck paying the taxes on it when they no longer have the car. I was thinking about creating a craigslist ad or putting it up on autotrader. What forms of payment should I take or not take? I just want to cover my basics. Thanks for any help.

1.25 JKS BL
2.5 OME HD Sup Lift 1 inch JKS MML 32" BFG MUDDS
MT Classic 2 15x8
jameskjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
ncb

Edmunds.com has lots of info for selling a car private party. File a release of liability form at the DMV after it's sold.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've found autotrader to be basically useless. When I sold my TJ 6 weeks ago, the free Craigslist ad generated 10X the responses as the autotrader ad that I had to pay $25 for. At this point Autotrader is a dealer board (like the real estate sites that list all of the homes for sale via real estate agents/brokers). As mentioned earlier, edmunds.com has some good info, most important a "boiler plate" letter of sale (be sure that it stipulates that the sale is "As Is" or very carefully outlines any additional agreements/conditions). It should also contain info for signing over the title to the new owner.

WARNING: DO NOT TAKE PERSONAL CHECKS (unless you can go to the bank and cash it before the buyer takes the keys). You need to even be wary of "cashiers" checks. I sold mine for $7,000 and insisted on cash or payment that would be verified by the bank before I'd turn the keys over.

Suggestion: if you put your phone number on craigslist, do something to make it unrecognizable by software/computers (e.g., if your phone number is 123-456-7890 put it in your ad as something like One Two Three-456-7890). Doing so avoids a bunch of crap calls to your phone. In addition, include verbiage along the lines of "I do not need help selling my Jeep, so do not call to ask" or you'll get 20 offers to "help" you sell your Jeep.

#1 scam on craigslist: "I'm an oceanographer, I want to buy your jeep for my significant other. I'll arrange for a transportation company to pick it up". they will then want you to pay the transportation company up front ($500-$1,000). That money is basically a gift to the scammer.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
ozmanyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskjeep View Post
Hello all this is something I never wanted to do but I have a growing family on the way so I need to sale my TJ. But the good news is I still have the wife's JK and I want to get a jeep commander or an older Jeep cherokee for the extra space. But I have never sold a Jeep to a private party before whats the process? I have my Jeep title once they pay me do I just sign it over to them or do I go with them to the DMV and make sure they get new tags for the jeep? I do not want to get ripped off. I have heard of people buying cars and never updating the tags so the seller is stuck paying the taxes on it when they no longer have the car. I was thinking about creating a craigslist ad or putting it up on autotrader. What forms of payment should I take or not take? I just want to cover my basics. Thanks for any help.

You can sign over the title but keep your plates. Then, once you turn in your plates to DMV, they'll update the system and give you a "receipt". At that point, you're off the hook. But depending on the timing, you can still get a property tax bill that is up to the point you turn your tags in.

As far as payment, cash or certified bank check should be fine.

Oz
ozmanyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The process is different for every state. Make sure the seller pays you cash or with a cashiers check. Go to the buyers bank and verify that the cashiers check is indeed legitimate prior to signing over the title.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Also, does your title include a perforated flap at the bottom which you sign off on once sold, or on your state license website, you submit the info for transfer of ownership or release of interest for the vehicle. Takes like 5 minutes

if in NC- here you go

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/transfer/

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In Alabama, the plates stay with the person, not the vehicle. Bought 2 and sold 2 cars last year, so I know the hassle of selling or buying private party, but still worth it on both ends as you get a better deal. On both of the sales, they gave me a deposit. Until I got the bank check I didn't sign over the title. We also have to have a bill of sale, and the date of the BOS must match the date you sign over the title. Had a little issue there, as the guy I bought my Jeep from wrote the BOS up for the wrong date, and he had to do another one before I could title it and get a tag in my name. But once you sign it over and take your plates off of it, you can take the BOS and your tag receipt with you to get the tag put on your new vehicle. Or you can get a refund for the unused portion. One of the old ones was in mine and my wife's name, and she put her truck in her name for the title, and since we hadn't sold the 2 cars yet she just got a new tag. Once we sold one, she took it down and got a refund issued for the old tag. It was just a prorated thing. The tag had been on there about 7 months, so we got the prorated amount for 5 months back on the fees.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
jameskjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all the info. I do live in NC. 1 more question. I bought my jeep when I just got out of college so my Mothers name is also on the title. I know when I sign it over I need her signature and mine but do I have to get it notarized twice once for her signature and once for mine. She lives about 3 and a half hours away from me so it will be a little harder to sign it at the same time.
1.25 JKS BL
MT Classic 2 15x8
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskjeep View Post
Thanks guys for all the info. I do live in NC. 1 more question. I bought my jeep when I just got out of college so my Mothers name is also on the title. I know when I sight it over I need her signature and mine but do I have to get it notarized twice once for her signature and once for mine. She lives about 3 and a half hours away from me so it will be a little harder to sign it at the same time.
Yeah, it can be notarized twice. There was some form I had to get filled out here because my Mom signed over a truck to me after college. She lives 3 hours away, and there was some issue with the signature. I think she signed it over to me and my wife, and used our nicknames instead of full names. It was notarized for her sig and notarized again for mine.

But that may just be for errors, depending on NC rules. Ours don't require a notary on the title or BOS.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
jameskjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can I just get her to sign it and notarize it now and then I sign and notarize it or does it have to be notarized the same day of sale?
1.25 JKS BL
MT Classic 2 15x8
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

She can sign release of interest now.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Adam013085

I would go by what guys in your state say. Different states are going to have different policies. I live in IL and do not need a BOL to sell a vehicle, however I get one to save my butt. Also in IL you don't need to get the title or BOL notarized but some surrounding states do. Easiest way is to call your states DMV and ask these questions rather than asking the forum. Im not saying what anyone is saying is wrong but just to be on the safe side
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cash. Very difficult to get ripped off when dealing in cash. If they have the funds to buy your Jeep, then they can withdraw the money as cash from thier bank. It isn't like a couple grand takes up a suitcase or anything...
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dunno how other states work, but typically you are required to notify the DMV within 10 days of a vehicle purchase or sale. Basically once you sell the vehicle, and the title is signed over into their name, it is now your responsibility to notify the DMV that you no longer own the vehicle. They will still retain all of the vehicle info, but you are no longer liable for it. As soon as the new owners get to the DMV to transfer the vehicle into their name, the registration information will be updated into their name.

Or at least that's how it works here in California. You will have to contact your DMV to find out for certain. A simple phone call works. Or you may find the info here:

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/transfer/

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't be in a hurry to take any checks or bank checks, or other paper not green (cash).
The first sign its a bad deal in the making is when they start pressing you for a quick deal with checks. Better to have your jeep and no cash than no jeep and no cash.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.