Sell it whole or part it out? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Sell it whole or part it out?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

View Poll Results: How would i benefit the most?
Sell Jeep for Pars 2 50.00%
Sell Jeep AS IS with damage known 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowers_Dylan View Post
I recently bought a 98 Wrangler Tj from a guy in Bridgewater and got screwed. It has 44k miles on it, 3 inch lift kit, giant tires, 2 inch steel brush guards on the front and back and a whole separate spare tire holder that was custom made to fit a farm vehicle jack because the vehicle is so high off the ground. Its a beautiful vehicle but has many problems that were unnoticed. In short, the vehicle is dangerous and therefor i want to get rid of it after i had it for only two weeks. The lemon law should apply but since i bought it from an individual, i need proof that he knew in order to get my money back. I got a flat a few days after getting the jeep and had to order two new tires. When i brought it in to have the new tires put on we discovered that the front axel was actually shifted 1/2 inch to the left because the bracket that held the axel to the frame was broken previously and was re-welded back crooked. In addition to the axle being out of whack, the allignment was off which meant extreme uneven tire wear. Also the transmission mount broke and the transmission is now resting on the skid plate. When we lifted the jeep up, we discovered that one of the rear brackets that connected the rear axle to the frame was completely rusted through and had become detached from the frame all together which was not evident until the jeep was on a lift.

My question is this: The jeep is dangerous to drive as is but i need it gone and need money in return. Would i get more money selling it for parts such as the engine, transmission, body, all the insides, tires, wheels, etc? or would i get more money selling the whole package with the knowledge that it needs alot of work?

Another side question, i mentioned the front right axle bracket being broken and welded crooked causing the axle to be out of whack; would this mean that the rear left is being put under the same stress as the front right?

let me know what you think and thanks to all whom help

You mean to tell me these are your only problems? Dude if you only knew half the junk most of us with older Jeeps have wrong with them your head would be spinning.

44K is very low. You're better off fixing the broken parts and being happy.

Parting out is going to yield you the most money as long as you aren't asking top dollar for each part but chances are you will and it's going to sit for years while slowly being picked to death.

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #17
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't sound too bad, there's a Jeeps only shop in middleboro called Bay State Off Road, guys name is Bob hes' a real straight shooter give him a call. I would keep the jeep, fix it and drive it. It really sounds pretty normal for a 13 year old jeep thats been offroaded a lot. Also do you know that all of these things are really wrong, or has a mechanic told you this was all wrong and the vehicle would explode of you drove it. Because I have been working on jeeps for years. I'll try to go in order: The flat well just bad luck. Most front axles on lifted jeeps without adjustable track bars are shifted to one side, mines over about an eighth of an inch and causing no problems, you could almost say its normal. The extreme tire wear could be from a lot of things including worn or broken suspension components. The transmission mount is on top of the skid plate so I guess you could say it rests on the skid plate all the time. It is possible it has worn out but it is easily and cheaply replaced. The control arm mount no longer being attached to the frame is the only issue here that would bother me. This is the one thing that could be a safety issue driving the vehicle and must be repaired. I have tried to explain things in a straight forward manner because it is my hope that it will be helpful. As I said I want to give a clear picture of what I believe are the issues in case your mechanic is trying to tell you the vehicle needs like five thousand dollars in repairs. I would guess all of the things I have listed above could be fixed in a weekend with maybe five hundred dollars. The hardest one if the control arm which would probably need some welding skills. I would say fix it and enjoy it or sell it and disclose the problems.
Hope that helps,
Brian
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #18
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed keep it and fix it, the things you are talking about can be fixed no reason to part it out, one thing you should have known buying Jeep is if you want to off road with it, or the PO did, you are going to have to replace things, parts where out over time. Now if the motor was blown, the transmission was shot, the t-case was split a part, and the axles were toast it would be a different story, you at most have 1K worth of repairs, but probably a lot less.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Shouldn't be too much more to fix it. Sounds like you just have some rust and suspension issues. You can easily get some new heavy duty brackets fairly cheap to replace the broken ones. Just cut off the bad ones, prep, and weld on the new ones in place. As far as the tranny mount, those go bad and they're only $70 IIRC. As far as the tires... well tires are wear and tear items and ya should've looked at em before buying the Jeep along with everything else

All the repairs may seem intimidating at first, but don't get discouraged! All the things you've mentioned are an easy fix and you should be able to get done for less than 1K especially if you do some or all the work yourself. Good luck!
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #20
LMoscar45
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
From the description you gave of the current condition of the vehicle it doesn't qualify under Lemon Law, that's more for flooded vehicles and major stuff like that. Not for general maintenance type stuff.
This is off topic but I had to reply since it is not true at all. The lemon law most certainly applies to what you might consider as "general maintenance type of stuff" . There need be no catastrophic failure, or flood history or anything like that. I've seen vehicles bought back for a mysterious electrical whine, etc, just 3 attempts at repairing one specific problem. have you ever seen a dealer advertising low priced factory buybacks? In upstate NY Fucillo is a big seller of factory buybacks, and has commercials on focusing on the great deals on buy backs. These are lemon law applicable vehicles the factory bought back from the customer after the mandatory 3 attempts of repair. A friend of mine's customer had his 2008 Cadillac bought back under the lemon law after his stereo system could not be repaired after numerous attempts at fixing. It left a faint audible whine but otherwise operated perfectly. Not a exactly a major incident but otherwise uncorrectable at the time and the vehicle was under full warranty. In the case of a new vehicle, these are bought back, eventually fixed then resold as a buyback-most likely perfectly fine by that point.

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with this guy's situation as his problems look like they originate from modification and use.

Last edited by LMoscar45; 07-24-2010 at 09:53 AM..
LMoscar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #21
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Non tech, moved.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
You minus well spend a little extra money and have something, to lose money and have nothing.
Was that intentional or do you think that's what people are saying when they say "might as well"? I'm not the grammar police but that one made me laugh.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed , help please , jeep parts , sales

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.