Sell it whole or part it out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Sell it whole or part it out?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

View Poll Results: How would i benefit the most?
Sell Jeep for Pars 2 50.00%
Sell Jeep AS IS with damage known 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Bowers_Dylan

Sell it whole or part it out?

I recently bought a 98 Wrangler Tj from a guy in Bridgewater and got screwed. It has 44k miles on it, 3 inch lift kit, giant tires, 2 inch steel brush guards on the front and back and a whole separate spare tire holder that was custom made to fit a farm vehicle jack because the vehicle is so high off the ground. Its a beautiful vehicle but has many problems that were unnoticed. In short, the vehicle is dangerous and therefor i want to get rid of it after i had it for only two weeks. The lemon law should apply but since i bought it from an individual, i need proof that he knew in order to get my money back. I got a flat a few days after getting the jeep and had to order two new tires. When i brought it in to have the new tires put on we discovered that the front axel was actually shifted 1/2 inch to the left because the bracket that held the axel to the frame was broken previously and was re-welded back crooked. In addition to the axle being out of whack, the allignment was off which meant extreme uneven tire wear. Also the transmission mount broke and the transmission is now resting on the skid plate. When we lifted the jeep up, we discovered that one of the rear brackets that connected the rear axle to the frame was completely rusted through and had become detached from the frame all together which was not evident until the jeep was on a lift.

My question is this: The jeep is dangerous to drive as is but i need it gone and need money in return. Would i get more money selling it for parts such as the engine, transmission, body, all the insides, tires, wheels, etc? or would i get more money selling the whole package with the knowledge that it needs alot of work?

Another side question, i mentioned the front right axle bracket being broken and welded crooked causing the axle to be out of whack; would this mean that the rear left is being put under the same stress as the front right?

let me know what you think and thanks to all whom help

Bowers_Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would keep it. You'll probably lose more money trying to sell it then it would cost to fix it. Can probably be fixed for around 1k or less (depends on how you go about repairing it). Unless the tires are totally bald, they are drivable.

You minus well spend a little extra money and have something, to lose money and have nothing.

OOORRR, sell it for how much you paid for it and see of another unknowing sap will buy it. I also watch Jude Judy, you bought a USED car and AS IS (unless stated otherwise in the add) so you're screwed. The seller KNEW the Jeep had problems so I really doubt he would have said otherwise in the add because you wouldn't have bought it. Simple trip to the mechanic could have saved you a LOT of time and money.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
LMoscar45
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You'll need to do a little better than "giant tires and 3 inch lift" in your description to get any significant help. When hitting the trails hard with a cheap lift kit and factory control arms (I'm guessing), bad things can happen. Its very easy to deform track bar bracket mounts, control arm mounts, etc. When you mean the front axle is out of alignment, I'm guessing this lift kit of yours might not have the adjustable track bar that would be required to place the axle back in the proper position, as lift kits effectively shorten your wheelbase and offset the axles if track bars aren't used.

I'd check your track bars first (aside from the crooked bracket which can easily be replaced) , take it to a shop that knows how to do a front end alignment on a solid front axle vehicle (7 years in the car business and I can tell you the auto service industry is filled with the underinformed).

Companies like ballistic and poly performance can ship out high quality replacement bracket kits no prob, and any good welder and burn em on for a couple hundred.

As far as the lemon law goes, you willfully bought a modified vehicle, and it sounds like some previous experience and due diligence might have caught those problems prior to purchase but I'm no lawyer. Good luck.
LMoscar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowers_Dylan View Post
I recently bought a 98 Wrangler Tj from a guy in Bridgewater and got screwed. It has 44k miles on it, 3 inch lift kit, giant tires, 2 inch steel brush guards on the front and back and a whole separate spare tire holder that was custom made to fit a farm vehicle jack because the vehicle is so high off the ground. Its a beautiful vehicle but has many problems that were unnoticed. In short, the vehicle is dangerous and therefor i want to get rid of it after i had it for only two weeks. The lemon law should apply but since i bought it from an individual, i need proof that he knew in order to get my money back. I got a flat a few days after getting the jeep and had to order two new tires. When i brought it in to have the new tires put on we discovered that the front axel was actually shifted 1/2 inch to the left because the bracket that held the axel to the frame was broken previously and was re-welded back crooked. In addition to the axle being out of whack, the allignment was off which meant extreme uneven tire wear. Also the transmission mount broke and the transmission is now resting on the skid plate. When we lifted the jeep up, we discovered that one of the rear brackets that connected the rear axle to the frame was completely rusted through and had become detached from the frame all together which was not evident until the jeep was on a lift.

My question is this: The jeep is dangerous to drive as is but i need it gone and need money in return. Would i get more money selling it for parts such as the engine, transmission, body, all the insides, tires, wheels, etc? or would i get more money selling the whole package with the knowledge that it needs alot of work?

Another side question, i mentioned the front right axle bracket being broken and welded crooked causing the axle to be out of whack; would this mean that the rear left is being put under the same stress as the front right?

let me know what you think and thanks to all whom help
I think you should either man up and fix the crap you bought because it was "pretty"

OR;
sell it, buy a Prius and a subscription to a shrink.
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I think you should either man up and fix the crap you bought because it was "pretty"

OR;
sell it, buy a Prius and a subscription to a shrink.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

or, if you part it out, I'll drive up and take half of it.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this can be an easy fix. dont be so intimidated. just start doing your hw and youll know that welding brackets and stuff really isnt a big deal. just take this opportunity to buy a welder and learn some new skills. upgrade cheapo parts with quality rokmen, currie, or make your own and it will be all good
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

i say fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just put an adjustable track bar and get that bracket rewelded, seems cheaper than seeling and buying another
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree to fix it. Give it a new life.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From the description you gave of the current condition of the vehicle it doesn't qualify under Lemon Law, that's more for flooded vehicles and major stuff like that. Not for general maintenance type stuff.

What you have on your hands is a jeep with a few easy to fix gremlins.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
CONNOR_99TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

you can sell me some parts for cheap !!
CONNOR_99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you test drive the Jeep at all before buying it? Or look under it to inspect for rust or anything?
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
kuebelwagen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How about some photos?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2004 Rubicon
1995 Cherokee
kuebelwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
lostsheep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think a lot of us, me included, go through a similiar phase with our jeeps. I did not know anything about TJ's when I bought mine and I overlooked a lot of what the previous owner had done wrong. I now have most of it done right and I absolutely love my TJ, I wouldn't trade it for anything except another jeep.

Hang in there, keep it, and fix it; it can't be that bad.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed , help please , jeep parts , sales

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.