sell tires or run em down? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > sell tires or run em down?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
imeg4fun23
2011 JK Wrangler 

sell tires or run em down?

What's up all? I just bought an '07 Wrangler, JK 2 DR Sahara and I've always been a huge wrangler guy and had one previously and loved it.

I wanted to ask for advice on the following topic..

I definitely plan on lifting the jeep and adding 33-35 in. tires but was wondering if i should run down the stock wheels I have now or take em off, try and sell them, and go ahead and do the lift asap.

Any idea if I could get decent money for the existing tires/rims?

bought the jeep recently with 30k miles and tires look good and the factory rims are definitely bigger/nicer than they used to be!

advice welcomed!

imeg4fun23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What size are the wheels? 16" or 17"?

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The only answer here has everything to do with the size of your wallet. Can you afford to properly lift it and buy 35s? If so, hell yeah, sell the stockers. The bigger questions is how much money do you expect to make from them?
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would buy new wheels to get the proper backspacing. I sat on my stock wheels and 30" tires after my lift for too long. They were taking up space in the garage and my wife "commented" to me that I needed to get rid of them, so I put an ad on Craigslist and I was amazed at how many people wanted them. I ended up selling them for $50 more then I was asking.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
imeg4fun23
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am almost positive they are 17s and in good condition. Not sure how much thread is left on the tires tho. Wallet size is not too much of an issue but I was trying to do the fiscally responsible thing but am continually jealous every time I see another lifted jeep! I have no expectations for how much to get if I do sell the stockers.. What can I hope for ballpark range? Likewise, what kind of ball park am I looking at for new tires, rims, and suspension for 33-35 in tires and lift ( thinking a 3 in lift, nothing crazy big ) ?? I am assuming this can get as pricey as I want depending on what kind of tires/ rims are chosen but again, any insight and advice is welcomed as I am very new to this arena.
imeg4fun23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeg4fun23 View Post
I am almost positive they are 17s and in good condition. Not sure how much thread is left on the tires tho. Wallet size is not too much of an issue but I was trying to do the fiscally responsible thing but am continually jealous every time I see another lifted jeep! I have no expectations for how much to get if I do sell the stockers.. What can I hope for ballpark range? Likewise, what kind of ball park am I looking at for new tires, rims, and suspension for 33-35 in tires and lift ( thinking a 3 in lift, nothing crazy big ) ?? I am assuming this can get as pricey as I want depending on what kind of tires/ rims are chosen but again, any insight and advice is welcomed as I am very new to this arena.
I'd say step 1 in staying fiscally responsible would be: DO NOT buy a Jeep. I kid, I kid.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Since you have the money and want to lift your Jeep and mod it now then whatís your problem. Just do it and donít worry about how much you can sell the left over parts for. You can decide on that afterwards, same difference.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.