Scan tool for non-mechanic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Scan tool for non-mechanic?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
joeranger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Scan tool for non-mechanic?

I am very mechanical but have never really worked on cars other than routine maintenance. I would like to pick up a cheep scan tool to start becoming more self sufficient or at least a more educated owner. I have a 2008 4D sahara. Two questions;

The costs range from $30 to 300, what is the entry level tool for a non-mechanic.

Has anybody had a scan tool "pay for itself" by saving you money at the dealer/shop?

joeranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Halfway decent tools seem to start around $100, and yes they can pay for themselves the first time you use it to avoid a trip to the dealer. The best ones (more expensive) somply use a long cable to plug into a laptop computer. They tend to give a lot more info and cost a lot more $$$.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

It isn't as elaborate as some of the readers people have here but I got a obdpro serial reader from a fellow jeeper, bought a brand new palm V with all it's accessories from eBay for a grand total of 15 bucks, got this free obd reading palm software and put it on, got a male to make serial adaptor and a null modem serial cable thing and now I can read error codes and a brief description if it has info, reset the engine light, see what the oxygen sensors are showing, directly see the mph, rpms, timing, engine temp and a whole bunch of other stuff directly from the computer.
And if you are someone that cares about speed it can time how fast it can go from 0-60.
Google USB/bluetooth/serial (whatever works for you) obd2 scanners
image-1152593222.jpg  
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ That's pretty cool.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Even the basic code reader tool is useful because the check engine light tells you nothing. There are websites that cam give you additional help.

http://www.obd-codes.com/

Even if you take it to the dealer, you are in a better position if you know what is happening.

An Android app

http://www.nwjeepn.com/torque.html
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
BandGauto
2004 WJ 

I have an Innova 3160 hand held scan tool. It will do all OBDII plus ABS codes and freeze frame data. Domestic Asian and European Import, cars, Light trucks and SUVs. Lots of other nice features too. They list for about $400 but you can find them brand new in the box on Ebay for about $200 and free updates from Innova.
I use my scan tool when I go to dealer car auctions. It will also let you know if a check engine light has recently been reset.
BandGauto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.