Sahara 1990 yj 4.2 Is the 4.2L reliable and whats difference with it Bein a Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Sahara 1990 yj 4.2 Is the 4.2L reliable and whats difference with it Bein a Sahara

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
bcameron1974

Sahara 1990 yj 4.2 Is the 4.2L reliable and whats difference with it Bein a Sahara

I just got this 4.2l 1990 Sahara..recently i had a 94 yj 2.5 fi...Does the 1990 being a Sahara have a different Suspension or anything different compared to base model..besides a.c....also This is my first 4.2 ive drove 4.0 in cherrokees in past...Is the 4.2 very reliable..the one I bought has 182k miles but is super clean and runs perfect...This was a unmolested .rust free jeep...

bcameron1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think it is just a different trim package, seats and what not.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
bcameron1974

also this has a 1 inch body lift and big shackles...im wanting bigger tires ...whats cheapest way to get 33s on it...i cant install the suspension..would a 3 inch work or would i need a 4 inch...i would prefer a all around suspension good offroad but mainly as daily driver...and cheap on the wallet..
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcameron1974 View Post
I just got this 4.2l 1990 Sahara..recently i had a 94 yj 2.5 fi...Does the 1990 being a Sahara have a different Suspension or anything different compared to base model..besides a.c....also This is my first 4.2 ive drove 4.0 in cherrokees in past...Is the 4.2 very reliable..the one I bought has 182k miles but is super clean and runs perfect...This was a unmolested .rust free jeep...
those straight six motors wether its a 4.2 carb or a 4.0l, you cant kill them if it was well maintained. they seem to run forever
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
bcameron1974

ok Great!! On my last yj i had the 2.5 i put flow masters on it..Do any of you ever put a nice exhaust on a 4.2 and what would you reccomend for a nice deep throaty sound...the 2.5 sounded ok but im hoping the 4.2 sounds deeper..
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im not sure what would sound nice. ive heard the flowmaster 40 series and 50 series sound good on a 4.0 liter but not sure a bout the 4.2
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
bcameron1974

ok..im goin assume it will sound good...im hoping i can get a suspension lift installed for around 600 is that feasable.. 4 inch
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what brand? if its not rough country check that out, there decent lifts for cheaper. you will find alot of people run rough country
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.2 is a good motor if well cared for.
Yes, it sounds fabulous with a Flowmaster 40 series.
Yes, a Rough Country 4" lift kit can be had for less than $600.
Yes, you will need 4" springs to clear 33's.

I would recommend staying away from lift shackels larger than 1".
I have them and an considering going to 5/8" boomerangs when I get my springs.
They do strange things to the steering geometry.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.