Sad day for me - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Sad day for me

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 12-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
pdm66
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cam Synchro

pdm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm66 View Post
cam Synchro
not on a 95. A cam Synchro basically tells the Jeep's computer what position the cam shaft is at. I think they started using them in 00 when they went to Coil Pack ignition.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
A camshaft? I hope so.
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Jet300
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafbowhntr View Post
Cam syncro failed last night on my way home causing my motor to lock up.I did not even have time to pull over as soon as the syncro failed it was to late already lost oil pressure.My poor Jeep only had 93,000 on it so now I am gone to see what Chrysler says .
Why would a sensor failing / breaking / snapping, etc. cause the motor to loose oil pressure and lock up? I mean an engine wont lock up immediately upon loss of oil pressure? I can see immediate stalling due to the PCM not geyting its inputs to fire injectors and spark ....

I'm looking to learn here .. the only thing I ever heard of breaking and immediately killing a motor is when a timing belt snaps on an interference type engine ... Even then all it really does it mash up the valves in the head ...

Confused here ...
Jet300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet300 View Post
Why would a sensor failing / breaking / snapping, etc. cause the motor to loose oil pressure and lock up? I mean an engine wont lock up immediately upon loss of oil pressure? I can see immediate stalling due to the PCM not geyting its inputs to fire injectors and spark ....

I'm looking to learn here .. the only thing I ever heard of breaking and immediately killing a motor is when a timing belt snaps on an interference type engine ... Even then all it really does it mash up the valves in the head ...

Confused here ...
A cam synchronizer replaces where once was a distributor, it is driven by the camshaft.

the oil pump is driven off the same shaft that the cam synchronizer uses, which is driven off a gear on the camshaft. The drive gear on the cam synchro is what is prone to failling on late model TJs, not the sensor itself, so when the gear goes, so does the oil pump (and gear on the camshaft as well), boom, bye bye engine.

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I felt the engine miss and it was to late,so I had a freind of mine tow it home looked at this morning shaft was broke on it ,and yes I am thinking of stroker if Chrysler doesn't want to do anything about it
The gear was broke or the shaft was broke? This is a common (too common) problem with 05-06.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...d-read-963235/

You are out of warranty with your mileage and there is no "recall" for the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly). The dealer was only marginally helpful with me and I was still under warranty when mine failed. Fortunately for me the OPDA began to squeak like a bad belt. When I pulled it there was binding in the shaft and substantial wear on the gear teeth.

Good luck to you.
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cam syncro failed last night on my way home causing my motor to lock up.I did not even have time to pull over as soon as the syncro failed it was to late already lost oil pressure.My poor Jeep only had 93,000 on it so now I am gone to see what Chrysler says .
Need to file a complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Unread 12-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Jet300
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
A cam synchronizer replaces where once was a distributor, it is driven by the camshaft.

the oil pump is driven off the same shaft that the cam synchronizer uses, which is driven off a gear on the camshaft. The drive gear on the cam synchro is what is prone to failling on late model TJs, not the sensor itself, so when the gear goes, so does the oil pump (and gear on the camshaft as well), boom, bye bye engine.

OK cool. THAT makes sense. I appreciate the explanation.
Jet300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #24
LABoarder

sorry to hear that
LABoarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet300 View Post
OK cool. THAT makes sense. I appreciate the explanation.
that is pretty much what mine looks like sorry I cant upload pics right now
mafbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wish my jeep was sitting in a nice warm garage right now where I could work on it,18 degrees is a little bit to could to work on any thing outside
Unread 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #27
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wish my jeep was sitting in a nice warm garage right now where I could work on it,18 degrees is a little bit to could to work on any thing outside
Please take pics of the damaged OPDA. We need some pics of what a failed unit internally looks like.
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #28
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

finally uploaded pics of cam snychro
cam-sensor001.jpg   cam-sensor002.jpg  
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #29
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

so that pretty much explains why I had catastrophic engine failure
Unread 12-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #30
Davemac85
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would use this as a perfect excuse for a 4bt swap ... thats me tho' good luck on the dealership!! hopefully you get everything taken care of
Davemac85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.