Rusting Stainless Bumper and Side Bars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Rusting Stainless Bumper and Side Bars?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
funBobby
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rusting Stainless Bumper and Side Bars?

Last year I added stainless side bars (Rampage) and stainless front/rear tubular bumpers (Rugged Ridge) to my 06 TJ.

I'm finding small rust speks throughout all the pieces, especially around the welds on the tubular front bumper.

How is this possible? I bought the pieces new from Quadtratec. Chrome wasn't even an option. I'm not confusing chrome for stainless.

How is it possible that my stainless equipment is rusting, and what can I do (if anything) to polish away or stop the rust?

funBobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

There are different grades of stainless. I used to know about stainless when I was a commercial tuna fisherman. Itís been so long now that I forgot. Obviously they used the cheap grade.
Unread 08-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

stainless is stainLESS. Almost all grades of "Stainless" steel can/will rust/oxidize.

The best way to stop it is to buff it out and clear coat it or wax it religiously.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
ncb

You can some what grade stainless steel by using a magnet. It's a low grade of SS if it holds a magnet well. I think 300 seriess stainless wont hold a magnet.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
JerseyDoug
Can I go home now?
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are different grades of stainless. Inexpensive ss flatware can rust. My SS Rolex watch doesn't rust, even after exposure to salt water.
JerseyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A lot falls under the category of 'stainless'

The non magnetic stainless (high nickel content) is the most corrosion resistant 304 etc used in halfway decent flatware, 316 etc (often used in better watches etc) is about the best for general use. You can recognize nickel bearing (austentitic) SST because it is non magnatic.

Unfortunately it does not weld easily, and is hard to fabricate. There are martensitic stainless which can be very hard (used for sst knives) and it is magnetic.

There is also ferritic sst, which is easier to fabricate and weld, less corrosion resistant.

But there other issues, which I suspect at the base of your problem. Welding can seriously damage the corrosion reisitance of SST, and must be done with special precautions. Boat builders know this, but perhaps shortcuts were taken here.

Additionally carbon steel in close extended contact with sst (such as using a carbon steel bolt) will actually start the SST corroding as the carbon particles migrate across the boundary.

Your best bet at this time is to throroughly clean all rust spots off, and be cautious about steel to sst contact.

If the welds do rust, I'd see about what the mfgr will do for you.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rampage , rugged ridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.