Roll Bar Pads - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Roll Bar Pads

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Reply
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Paragonchris
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 31
Roll Bar Pads

Anyone tried dying them or know a good place to buy an new set?

Chris

Paragonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
bmpregler
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 158
Search on this forum and there are several threads. I think the most successful method is painting them with fabric paint. I tried dyeing the ones on my old jeep and it didn't work.


Good Luck
bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Paragonchris
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpregler View Post
Search on this forum and there are several threads. I think the most successful method is painting them with fabric paint. I tried dyeing the ones on my old jeep and it didn't work.


Good Luck
Thanks for the advice

Chris
Paragonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
gunshw301
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,355
Yep tried rit dye on mine. Didn't really "stick" to the fabric, waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
usefulidiot
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utah
Posts: 11
Fabric spray worked great on super faded TJ pads. That was about 3yrs ago still looks good. Drive with no top all summer. Picked up the spray at Autozone
usefulidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
uncleroman
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kemah, texas
Posts: 378
duplicolor dash and vinyl or something like that works perfect. i painted my dash with it it still looks perfect after a year
uncleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 5,129
Like said above, paint not dye.

My TJ pads had faded to a purple, I tired dying twice, once using double the amount of dye, just didn't penetrate the fibers.

Mine have been spray painted now for 3 years and still look good. I just used the cheapest ($2/can/Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart)) flat black spray I could find. Didn't need to be fancy paint.

Fabric soaks up the paint and no flaking or rubbing off. Flat black because you don't want fabric to be shiny.
__________________
jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Dragonwitch
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor, NY
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Like said above, paint not dye.

My TJ pads had faded to a purple, I tired dying twice, once using double the amount of dye, just didn't penetrate the fibers.

Mine have been spray painted now for 3 years and still look good. I just used the cheapest ($2/can/Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart)) flat black spray I could find. Didn't need to be fancy paint.

Fabric soaks up the paint and no flaking or rubbing off. Flat black because you don't want fabric to be shiny.
I have a silly question......why don't you want the fabric to be shiny?
__________________
try everything at least once before you form an opinion
Dragonwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Paragonchris
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 31
Awesome, I will try the paint this weekend. Good cheap fix, that seems to be rare in the jeep world
Paragonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwitch View Post
I have a silly question......why don't you want the fabric to be shiny?
Well, I'm not sure it is possible to get a consistence shiny painted finish on coarse fabric without making it "crusty". But, I never tried.

More-so though, flat was a personal choice for me.
__________________
jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
uncleroman
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kemah, texas
Posts: 378
i used glossy, they just looked new, not shiney
uncleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Well, I'm not sure it is possible to get a consistence shiny painted finish on coarse fabric without making it "crusty". But, I never tried.

More-so though, flat was a personal choice for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleroman View Post
i used glossy, they just looked new, not shiney
That was my point !
__________________
jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Dragonwitch
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor, NY
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
That was my point !
lol...ok...mine are still pretty much black with a nasty coating of dust on them...they needed a good cleaning and I used some of that "convertible Top" cleaner/conditioner on them....turned out nice.
__________________
try everything at least once before you form an opinion
Dragonwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.