Road paint all over Jeep - how to remove? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Road paint all over Jeep - how to remove?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #16
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Really if worse comes to worst take your flares off spray the sem bumper stripper on there let it sit a few minutes then pressure wash it off I assure you this will take the paint off you're flares and not hurt them. You will have to work at the body with some slow reducer. I say slow cuz it takes forever to evaporate so it gives you plenty of time to clean sections of paint off. I wish I could come help you do this I've done plenty of cars this way it has yet to fail me. Wd40 and goof off are a joke to getting that amount of road paint off. If you can't get it take it to a bodyshop let them do it

1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Yesterday driving I got to a section of the highway they were painting. A pilot car led us through, but the truck in front of me got too far over and got into wet paint and I was following him and so I did as well. Yes, totally my fault. I feel dumb as it is, so please no ridicule. The entire drivers side of my Jeep got hosed with white road paint. I stopped at a gas station and was able to get most of it off the paint (there's still white paint on the bottom edge of the door and in the hinges) but for the life of me I can't get it off the plastic of the door handle or the fenders. Any ideas for removing the paint?
OP Did you ever get the paint off?
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I doubt it. THey spent a lot of time and effort formulating that stuff so it doesn't come off. replace or repaint are the only real options.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
EagleRiverDee
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just checking back in. I have not gotten the paint off. I tried hosing it in WD-40 and letting it soak for hours and then pressure washing it and that didn't help. This paint is on really good. It's been suggested to be that vaseline might soften it up if coated on and left on for a day, I might try that. I did not contact the painting crew (I think it was a State crew) because despite the fact that they didn't have the wet paint marked I still feel like it was my own stupidity and I should be responsible for it. I may try that "Sem bumper stripper" recommended- I've never heard of it so I'll have to find a source.

Thanks everyone.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Just checking back in. I have not gotten the paint off. I tried hosing it in WD-40 and letting it soak for hours and then pressure washing it and that didn't help. This paint is on really good. It's been suggested to be that vaseline might soften it up if coated on and left on for a day, I might try that. I did not contact the painting crew (I think it was a State crew) because despite the fact that they didn't have the wet paint marked I still feel like it was my own stupidity and I should be responsible for it. I may try that "Sem bumper stripper" recommended- I've never heard of it so I'll have to find a source.

Thanks everyone.
Use the sem stripper on the flares only. Get done slow clear reducer to get the paint off the paint on the Jeep. I assure you this will work I do this for a living. It still takes time but it will come off most surfaces. To find this stuff find a local automotive paint/bodyshop supplier even oreillys should be able to get it for you
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #21
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

go have a look at this stuff ...

http://www.liftoffinc.com/index.php
338WinMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #22
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I took yellow road paint off of a blue Corolla with lacquer thinner, it was not my car and was not my lacquer thinner so I applied liberally then waxed the area. No damage to the paint when I was done, and she has not come back complaining about paint falling off of her car.

It was only on the painted surface of the car and little splatters. Your flairs are probably trash, or you could always just paint over the paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.