Ride without spare tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Ride without spare tire

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
REPPO
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ride without spare tire

Who rides without the spare on the back? Anyone got pics? Pros/cons...besides the obvious no spare tire.

REPPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pros:

Lighter
Looks better IMO
Technically better visibility
Less weight o the tailgate

Cons:

No spare tire

Up to you whether you want to risk it or not. I do.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

I always have a spare tire when I am taking long trips. Only time i ride without a spare is when I am just staying with in 10 miles of my house. The one thing i will never understand is why people will upgrade to larger tires except for the spare. I wonder what it would be like driving with a 35 on one side of the axle and then a stock 29 on the other side.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbasham View Post
I always have a spare tire when I am taking long trips. Only time i ride without a spare is when I am just staying with in 10 miles of my house. The one thing i will never understand is why people will upgrade to larger tires except for the spare. I wonder what it would be like driving with a 35 on one side of the axle and then a stock 29 on the other side.
looks like you got a Pimp Limp!

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'll never ride without a spare. Ever. One piece of junk in the road, or pot hole you didn't see until it was too late, and you're done. Stuck in the middle of nowhere, or worse - ghetto land, with no way to get home.

I too don't understand upgrading without upgrading the spare. I was recently out on a trip where a guy with a "p**ile extension" Ford F-250 had a stock spare and blew a bead less than 10 minutes into the trip. We had to tow his sorry a** back to the barn so they could fix his tire while 90% of us went on. Dumb***!!!!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
REPPO
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking just for daily driving around town. not out of town. and AAA?
REPPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't removed the spare, however I've never needed to use it...yet. I do, however, keep a plug set, with appropriate tools, to fix the flat, on the spot. I've even done it without needing to remove the wheel. A great thing to have.
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #8
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I'll never ride without a spare. Ever. One piece of junk in the road, or pot hole you didn't see until it was too late, and you're done. Stuck in the middle of nowhere, or worse - ghetto land, with no way to get home.

I too don't understand upgrading without upgrading the spare. I was recently out on a trip where a guy with a "p**ile extension" Ford F-250 had a stock spare and blew a bead less than 10 minutes into the trip. We had to tow his sorry a** back to the barn so they could fix his tire while 90% of us went on. Dumb***!!!!
Couldn't agree more.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Currently I run the stock BFG as a spare running 35s. I've debated ditching the spare altogether. I've seen oversize spares rip off the carriers from rocks, break off in prerunning scenarios, get guys hung up on obstacles, and bend stock tailgate sheet metal way more times than I've seen beads or sidewalls rip. I do live in FL tho so the terrain is mostly sugar sand and mud. Actually mounting and running a stock spare with oversized tires will look ridic but the same as running a donut on a car. Doable in a pinch, I certainly won't engage my lockers. I also carry a plug kit and needed it once from a nail in the tread, not sidewall. I am considering mounting one of my 35s that is close to wearing out as a spare but that means big $$ for some type of carrier or use valuable space to carry inside. I guess it's down to priorities for me and this just isn't one.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
ncb

Seems like the electronic drivetrain systems would freak out running a smaller spare tire.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Good point. I wouldn't run far like that. Just limp a few miles to a tire shop if need be.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
mello

Smaller can cause trac control and abs to be confused and probably will. On a vehicle with auto 4wd it can cause 4x4 to kick in going down road. Also diff carriers will not like one tire going more revolutions than the other.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Seems like the electronic drivetrain systems would freak out running a smaller spare tire.
and spider wear even could break a spider.

A spare is like a winch or a fire extinguisher a weapon. The one time you do need it and do not. Your stuck, your Jeep burns to ground, you are dead.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I run 33X`12.5 on the jeep but have a 33x9.5 BFG MT spare on the stock tire. It has been there about 12 years now. It is covered so it shouldn’t rot. I choose this tire because it was very light (almost paper thin sidewall) compared to other similar size tires.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
bfaas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I keep my spare in the back (backseat removed). A 33 fits nicely between the wheel wells.
bfaas is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.