Removing tire carrier spindle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Removing tire carrier spindle

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
gdl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Removing tire carrier spindle

I recently installed this rear bumper / tire carrier combo, mainly because I was being cheap.

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jeep...pn=S%2fB76651D

After running it for a few months I decided I don't like the tire carrier, the latch rattles and squeaks, and the tire is mounted so high that it blocks rear vision.

So I just bought one of these:

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jeep...pn=BST61960-01

The issue I have now is the spindle for the original tire carrier is going to be in the way for mounting the new carrier. I have two options: 1. replace the bumper with one that doesn't have the spindle. 2. remove the spindle from the bumper I have. I'm leaning toward keeping the bumper and just removing the spindle. I'm thinking just grab the reciprocating saw and go at it but I thought I'd seek a little advice first. Am I going to have any trouble cutting the spindle with a saw? Is there a better way to remove it?

gdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will be fine using a sazall. Or a angle grinder would also work

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Depends somewhat on how hard the metal is on the spindle. Be sure to put oil on the saw blade as you cut it. that will help keep an edge and from cooking the blade.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
gdl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. I was planning to keep the blade lubricated, my concern was really that the spindle may have been made of some hardened steel that would be impossible to cut. I didn't want to start cutting, only to find out that I couldn't finish it, then the spindle would be compromised so I couldn't pull the bumper off and sell it if need be. I'll give it a shot soon and report back on how it goes.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
gdl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After-action update: For anyone who may search for this in the future, the reciprocating saw works fine, it just takes awhile. I used lots of WD-40 for lubrication, used five blades and took about 20 minutes. All five blades still have life left in them, I just used them all because I had that many and I figured it'd go quicker if I used them all.

Loving the new tire carrier, major improvement over the cheapo bumper mount model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.