Removable door storage idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Removable door storage idea

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

View Poll Results: When you take your doors off, what do you do with them?
Leave them at home 82 82.83%
Throw them in the back/strap them somewhere 11 11.11%
The doors come off? 0 0%
My jeep has no doors.... 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
schatenjager
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Removable door storage idea

Living in Chicago, there are a lot of mornings where it's too cold to take the top down and the doors off but by mid-afternoon it's pretty hot. I have tried taking the doors off and putting them in back but i also have kids and can't run around without the back seat and the doors just don't fit so good with the seat in place. I noticed though that I can open the doors all the way until they hit the fenders.

Has anyone seen or made a strap or attachment method for somehow securing the doors when they're "fully open" like that without restricting the wheels? At full open and flush with the fenders, they are close enough to the doors that the tires would hit them if I turned the wheel all the way to one direction or the other but I was thinking that doing a Suicide door (so the door opened the opposite direction) or building a bracket that held the doors out from the body enough to not restrict the wheel travel might work? For a suicide door setup, the hinges would need to be relocated to the rear of the doors though. The advantage of this though is that the rear wheels would need to turn side to side and thus wouldn't need the same clearance as the fronts.

Any thoughts?

Unread 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
ImportEater
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this would work, but it couldnt hurt to test it out. Also, maybe think of a way to mount them on the side back roll bars. One on each side or something. I usually just bundle up and rough it.

BTW, I live right off Lake Erie in N.E. Ohio, the snow belt
ImportEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
schatenjager
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, i'm in the bundle up and rough it camp. My first car was a 76 El Camino that didn't have any of the heater components installed and I just got used to carrying a blanket throughout the winter...but the kids do love to complain about cold, wind, water, snow, etc.
Unread 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
JRD917
1987 YJ Wrangler 

or better yet just get you the soft half doors and then in the spring and fall you can use them and in the winter you can put the your hard doors back on.

The reason is the half soft doors will keep enough heat in in the morning you wont suffer too bad and then when its warm out you can take them off and they will fit in the very back behind the back seat. I just take the tops off my doors and put them in first then take the lower half and put them in and you still have your back seat and no doors works really good and i still have my doors with me if it starts to rain or what not
Unread 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportEater View Post
I usually just bundle up and rough it.
same here. I know if its going to be real nice that afternoon I just take a hoody in the morning if its cold

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
TnTRacing28
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would think that trying to secure the doors in the fully open position would draw lots of attetion from the local police force....just a thought
War doesn't decide who's Right? Only who's Left!
TnTRacing28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have done it next to a cop. I was in highschool at lunch and was in a hurry and left with my doors on. When we were heading back to school from the burger place there were three cops eating there and they watched as i took my half doors off and then the bottoms and drive off, all i got was a wave. For the most part though i just keep a hoody or two in my jeep at all times for these times, almost all the time in the summer my stuff is off and i just wrap up and turn the heater up when needed
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
YJdad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTRacing28 View Post
I would think that trying to secure the doors in the fully open position would draw lots of attention from the local police force....just a thought
not to mention unsafe...

98' ZJ GCL - Stock V8

75% of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Jeep!
YJdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTRacing28 View Post
I would think that trying to secure the doors in the fully open position would draw lots of attetion from the local police force....just a thought
if you were to secure them fully open they would rub the tires on turns or at least mine do
www.kifourwheelers.com << Louisville Ky. based 4x4 club
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
schatenjager
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, that was one of my worries. That's why I suggested a possible suicide door tack. I don't know if the "short" side of the doors would have enough meat to hold the doors up though. The soft doors seem like the best option...at least those are more portable.
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
MetZenDS
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't bother suiciding the doors... too much work. Find a way to hang/mount/build a carrier that attaches to your spare tire mount.
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
SECorBust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My first thought is no to the above question. I have half doors so maybe if there were some hinges and strikers afixed to the family roll bar so that the jeep wears the half doors on the sides.
SECorBust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #13
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i'd say on top of it looking retarded and being dangerous, just grow a pair and leave them off. Crank the heater in the morning

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD917 View Post
or better yet just get you the soft half doors and then in the spring and fall you can use them and in the winter you can put the your hard doors back on.
Yep, with half doors and the heat cranked up you should be fine. I am on cold mornings with half doors, bikini top, and a flannel jacket.

There's also a hitch mounted door carrier out there, looks kinda like a bike carrier. But it seems to me it was pretty expensive and it looks ghey.

Last edited by timatoe; 05-30-2008 at 02:45 AM..
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #15
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

during the school year i keep the doors on so no one steals my books or anything. with a little dancing they both fit in the back with the tailgate and window shut. I have a hard top so i dont know if you could do this with a soft top.
daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms
NJscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.