Rear Main Seal/Oil pan Gasket replacement price - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Rear Main Seal/Oil pan Gasket replacement price

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #31
Crunchakah
2003 TJ Wrangler 

$75 bucks or less. simple work! find a shop with some good ole boys. they get you hooked up

97series 15x10/ ARB Snorkel / Flowmaster 40 Series
Warn RC Front/Rear Bumper w/tire carrier /grille guard
XRC8 Winch/ KC Daylighters /IPF h4 lights
Crunchakah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #32
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchakah View Post
$75 bucks or less. simple work! find a shop with some good ole boys. they get you hooked up
ive heard of too many good ole boys F***ing up everything they touch. Good ole boys are the worst kind, they get in over there heads and cant justify doing it right for the price they are charging.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalerno View Post
I know guys who have sprayed brake cleaner up there towards the seal and got it to stop leaking. changed oil and stuff later and still no more leak. (although they did not have as much crud as the above photo has)
This is true, if it reaches the seal it will/can expand rubber.
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was leaking when I bought the Jeep. Icleaned the area with simole green and found 1 bolt completely gone and 2-3 on each side about to fall out. I tightened the loose ones and replaced the missing one and she's dry as could be 2 months later.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #35
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a rear main seal but I'm not sure if this is the right one. I have a TJ 2002 4.0. Could someone take a look and see if this is the correct one? Thanks. Crankshaft Rear Main Seal Kit by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware
dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #36
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeith View Post
I just ordered a rear main seal but I'm not sure if this is the right one. I have a TJ 2002 4.0. Could someone take a look and see if this is the correct one? Thanks. Crankshaft Rear Main Seal Kit by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware
Here is the Felpro oil pan gasket part number. It's a one piece gasket.

According to RockAuto Auto Parts your 2002 4.0L takes a FEL-PRO Part # BS40183 rear main seal (2 piece set)

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #37
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a rear main and oil pan gasket leak. Both were replaced by the dealer about 5 months ago. The engine only has 40,000 miles on it and the new gaskets only have about 4,000 miles on them. Any ideas.? I did just change to synthetic, but the rear main was leaking before the change.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #38
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
I have a rear main and oil pan gasket leak. Both were replaced by the dealer about 5 months ago. The engine only has 40,000 miles on it and the new gaskets only have about 4,000 miles on them. Any ideas.? I did just change to synthetic, but the rear main was leaking before the change.
Take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty. A rear main should last longer than that.
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #39
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ramdon question who makes better gaskets for this Fel-Pro or Victor Reinz? Or is it all the same?
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Tjosh97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #40
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjosh97 View Post
Ramdon question who makes better gaskets for this Fel-Pro or Victor Reinz? Or is it all the same?
Fel-Pro hands down, IMO. The Victor Reinz gaskets are pretty much "standard issue" at NAPA stores, and I have never cared for them. On the other hand, I've never been disappointed with a Fel-Pro gasket, unless I "effed up" the install myself.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #41
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What RTV do you guys recommend to hold front and rear of the oil pan, would ultra copper hi-temp be good?

I see they used the Red but I just wonder if the copper is a little better?

1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID

Last edited by Tjosh97; 03-29-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #42
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max I went with Fel-Pro!
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #43
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just went with grey RTV, no leaks. It doesn't have to be high temp or super duper strength stuff. There is little pressure going on there. It's really just a back up.
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #44
97wran

I know this is kinda old but does anyone know of a write up for the RMS and oil pan gasket on a 97 with a 2.5L
I4? Thanks
97wran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #45
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97wran View Post
I know this is kinda old but does anyone know of a write up for the RMS and oil pan gasket on a 97 with a 2.5L
I4? Thanks
The transmission must be removed on the 4 cylinder. It has a 1 piece rear main seal.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.