Rear Main Seal/Oil pan Gasket replacement price - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Rear Main Seal/Oil pan Gasket replacement price

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
NJHCx4xLIFE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Main Seal/Oil pan Gasket replacement price

I need to replace my rear main seal and oil pan gasket and I'm fairly confident in my abilities but this isn't something I've ever done or an really comfortable doing.

I got a quote from the dealership I purchased the jeep from saying 700 for the rear main and another 400 for the oil pan but "we might be able to cut you a deal on the oil pan because it might need to be removed to replace the other seal". That is a load of crap since they need to pull the pan anyway.

I got another quote from a very honest dealership near me where I purchased my last jeep and they quoted $410 out the door for both seals. Seems like a pretty good deal and I actually trust these guys. Is this a decent price or should I shop around more?

NJHCx4xLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHCx4xLIFE View Post
I got a quote from the dealership I purchased the jeep from saying 700 for the rear main and another 400 for the oil pan but "we might be able to cut you a deal on the oil pan because it might need to be removed to replace the other seal". That is a load of crap since they need to pull the pan anyway.
Removing/reinstalling the oil pan is 95% of the job. Replacing the $15 rear main seal doesn't take an additional 20 minutes for someone who knows what they are doing.

Charging for the oil pan separately is an absolute crock. It is an essential part of the RMS job.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
NJHCx4xLIFE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Removing/reinstalling the oil pan is 95% of the job. Replacing the $15 rear main seal doesn't take an additional 20 minutes for someone who knows what they are doing.

Charging for the oil pan separately is an absolute crock. It is an essential part of the RMS job.

Thats what I thought. Does $410 for both sound reasonable?
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I can't answer your question about a reasonable price for the job, but...

Did the '04s like yours come with the 7/70 powertrain warranty like the '03s, or had DC dropped it for '04?

If it was still in effect, are you under 70k miles, because the rear main seal should be covered under that.
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
NJHCx4xLIFE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
Sorry, I can't answer your question about a reasonable price for the job, but...

Did the '04s like yours come with the 7/70 powertrain warranty like the '03s, or had DC dropped it for '04?

If it was still in effect, are you under 70k miles, because the rear main seal should be covered under that.
I have that warranty and they fixed the seal under warranty on my 2000. This jeep has 76,000 miles so I'm stuck paying for it.
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHCx4xLIFE View Post
Does $410 for both sound reasonable?
That's definitely not unreasonable. It's a good half-day job without complications. Counting oil, materials would run around $40-50, depending on which oil pan gasket was installed.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
JakeAW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was quoted 400 for the same job at a reputable place. I haven't done it yet, but it's a PITA, and I need my valve cover gasket replaced, just waiting for some $$.
JakeAW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
Squeeky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Around 400 is reasonable, but you can do it yourself for less then 100, thats the rear main, the oil pan gasket, the rtv and the 6 quarts of oil and any tools you may not have.

I did my rear main a few weekends ago. It took about 15 hours total but that just because I took a lot of breaks and the exhaust alone took about 5 hours to get off, the bolts were really rusted in. Air tools would have helped a ton!

Here's a great link to replacing the rear main.
http://www.jeephobby.com/repairs/rea...armainseal.php

My auto racing team (neat website lots of pictures)

Stu-offroad, A wealth of information on TJ's!

4x4xplor

Motor Oil Myths and Facts (Not sponsored by Amsoil)
Squeeky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
NJHCx4xLIFE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is another link to a good write up I found.

http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

I just don't feel comfortable tackling this one. Suspension work and things like that don't bother me but this job does. I'd rather spend the extra money and have it be the dealership's problem if a bolt on the exhaust breaks or something. If it leaks again later down the road (which I'm sure it will at some point) I might give it a try.
Unread 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's not rocket science,,,,but it is an agrivating, messy, time consuming job.
I did my RM and oil pan about a month ago, and it took about 6 hours. But in that 6 hours
I fabbed a 1/4" steel plate for the bottom of my (new) oil pan.
As stated above,,,,AIR TOOLS make it much easier.
And $ 400 is definetely a fair price.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
tandbwms
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Site name changed to www.mijeeplife.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky View Post
Around 400 is reasonable, but you can do it yourself for less then 100, thats the rear main, the oil pan gasket, the rtv and the 6 quarts of oil and any tools you may not have.

I did my rear main a few weekends ago. It took about 15 hours total but that just because I took a lot of breaks and the exhaust alone took about 5 hours to get off, the bolts were really rusted in. Air tools would have helped a ton!

Here's a great link to replacing the rear main.
http://www.jeephobby.com/repairs/rea...armainseal.php
Hi all, just wanted to mention that the jeephobby website is no longer available. I recently lost the domain during when it expired and someone else picked it up for the purpose of selling it back to me. Nice huh. Anyways, the new site is www.mijeeplife.com - the links is still available as:

http://www.mijeeplife.com/repairs/re...armainseal.php[/QUOTE]

I hope this article helped someone out.
Thanks,
Dale
BFG 33x12.5R-15 Radial All Terrain KO
tandbwms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i paid $500 for fixing mine. included rear main seal, the transmission one, oil pan, etc.

using original parts and including the Oil.

2005 WK Limited 4.7L - 4x4 (QT-II)
2" RC Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME Rear Shocks, Saguaro Shackle Mounts, Mopar OEM Hitch
alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

if you really want to track $$'s, wait and do it when you need an oil change, then you have not spent $ for oil.
Unread 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it's a no brainer if you have a torque wrench. The DailyDriven write up is a good one. If your going to pay, 400 isn't bad.
Unread 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
NotmyJK

Just an FYI for folks with a 2000 TJ on the rear main seal. My 2000 Tj was a late build and some of the parts required are from a 2001. The rear main for the 2000 I6 is a double lip seal and cost $16. The 2001 is a single lip seal that cost $31. I pulled the oil pan off and spun the old seal out only to realize that the new one would not work. Of course all the parts stores were closed by then!
2008 JK unlimited (wifes)
2001 Boxster (wifes)
1995 Ford F350 dually flatbed (wifes)
NotmyJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.