Rambo1965's Water Injection Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Rambo1965's Water Injection Thread

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #31
prosneek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to be honest. That doesn't mean that i am ignorant. Y'all used a couple of big word in there and got very technical and scientific with this. Not being an engineer or having the in depth experience as some of you, i didn't understand some of what was said. But what can it really hurt to try this? I used to drag race and we had "cold buckets". They were a box designed to hold ice and your fuel line would run through it before going to the carb. This would cool the gas and help with combustion. If that worked, then why not this? Isn't it basically the same idea just in a different way? Cooling the air/fuel mixture? They have nitrous purge lines to vent off the hot nitrous.

prosneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #32
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosneek View Post
I am going to be honest. That doesn't mean that i am ignorant. Y'all used a couple of big word in there and got very technical and scientific with this. Not being an engineer or having the in depth experience as some of you, i didn't understand some of what was said. But what can it really hurt to try this? I used to drag race and we had "cold buckets". They were a box designed to hold ice and your fuel line would run through it before going to the carb. This would cool the gas and help with combustion. If that worked, then why not this? Isn't it basically the same idea just in a different way? Cooling the air/fuel mixture? They have nitrous purge lines to vent off the hot nitrous.
Not the same thing.

Running the fuel thru a cooler makes the fuel slightly denser. Denser fuel means a little extra fuel gets into the cylinders.

Mixing water with the air gets you that much less fuel into the cylinders. It's like cutting Scotch with water.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #33
0SillyWilly0
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I've got an extra $25 lying around. If this works then it pays for its self in fuel savings. I'm going to see if I can get to Lowes this week and get this going on my 91 yj with the 4.0.

Ill post up my results.
0SillyWilly0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

Wow, Just wow.
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #35
zmcmil2121
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So my thought is you need vapor for the system to work correctly right? Well why not hook it directly to the exhaust instead of the open air? The heat from the exhaust should force the water into a sort of boil, and wouldn't that make the system more effective? Does it ascend with better atomization or does it just remain the same?

And on the atomization note, would it be better if the water was atomized more? You could use an injector bought off of craigslist for $30 or so bucks, or even a new one from the store. Would that be better for the mpg?
zmcmil2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #36
0SillyWilly0
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just got back from the hardware store with all the stuff to get this going (minus the glass jar)

I've also found an answer for zmcmil its not specifically for a Jeep but the concept is the same.
http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
Its generally for turbo charged or super charged vehicles but stock vehicles still see the benefits as you see with rambo
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #37
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

But in a turbo car, you INJECT the liquid water directly into the intake stream at high pressure. You don't hope it evaporates as you create a vacuum leak to pull air through it.

In racing situations, a proper water injection setup will go through a gallon of water in less than a couple hours; not a cup a week.
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcmil2121 View Post
So my thought is you need vapor for the system to work correctly right? Well why not hook it directly to the exhaust instead of the open air? The heat from the exhaust should force the water into a sort of boil, and wouldn't that make the system more effective? Does it ascend with better atomization or does it just remain the same?

And on the atomization note, would it be better if the water was atomized more? You could use an injector bought off of craigslist for $30 or so bucks, or even a new one from the store. Would that be better for the mpg?
Wow, you might be on to something. Maybe you can take it a step further, and just run the exhaust pipe right back into the carb. 100% recirculation for the best mileage.
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #39
projectsahara11
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is a cool idea. I might have to try it and see if it helps out at all. If it doesn't then no harm done.... Hopefully but if it breaks something then I can upgrade to something better.
projectsahara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #40
0SillyWilly0
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've gone through one tank so far (enjoying the extra power. Its quite noticable)

So far I went from 14 mpg to 16 (that was not caring about gas) this tank I'm going to not gas it everywhere...

Pree water driving nice I could push 15.5 I'm looking forward to seeing it now. Will update in a week or so.

By the way, this was on my 1991 yj with the fule injected 4.0
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #41
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was going to stay out of this, but can't. It's early on a Saturday and I'm bored.

Since you cannot supersaturate the air, you're getting no more water vapor in the air than you are on a day that the humidity is high. It's simple science. Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air, and you can't get above a certain threshold. By reasoning of this post, on a humid day (hot, because warm air holds more moisture) you should get better mileage than on a dry day.

Bet if you just took off the water canister thing and left the open tube there sucking air, you'll gain the same results. I'd test, but I don't have an archaic 4.0.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #42
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

An engine with EFI is always going to run at stoichiometric once the motor goes into closed loop operation. If there is a vacuum leak, then the O2 sensor sees a lean condition and richens the mixture accordingly. So while a vacuum leak might increase the engine rpm it will not 'lean out' the mixture. well maybe for a few milliseconds LOL.
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #43
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so i've got a 95 yj with the 4.0 engine. i was hoping to test this out and see if i can raise my 12 mpg freeway by juuuust a little but when i looked at my intake i saw no unused vacuum ports. should i put a splitter on one of the existing and give this a shot?
yoyoyo109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #44
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyo109 View Post
so i've got a 95 yj with the 4.0 engine. i was hoping to test this out and see if i can raise my 12 mpg freeway by juuuust a little but when i looked at my intake i saw no unused vacuum ports. should i put a splitter on one of the existing and give this a shot?
No.

As in no, you shouldn't give this a shot. Water injection has some benefits; water vapor injection does not. Fortunately, this isn't really either; it's nothing more than a complicated method of creating an intentional vacuum leak. You can do the same thing by taking a thumbtack to one of your vacuum hoses.

Good luck!

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
increase , injection , mpg , vapor , water

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.