Question about keys for Tuffy Storage systems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Question about keys for Tuffy Storage systems.

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
therealrico
2013 JK Wrangler 

Question about keys for Tuffy Storage systems.

I am going to order the following things from Tuffy-

Drivers Side Door Conceal Carry
Passenger Side Door Conceal Carry
Laptop Security Lockbox

What I was curious about was do they come with a key and lock system already in place? Can you make them so they use your current Wrangler key, by going to a locksmith or something?

And at first I thought you could buy a universal lock, but upon reading it more realized it was just a push button for the center console. So can someone with more knowledge explain to me how I could get this to work so at the very least I would only have one key for all three storage lockers, or will I need 3 keys?

therealrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They come with their own lock which can be swapped out. (It's sort of a glorified drawer lock, but configured so that the lock releases the sturdy latching mechanism, so an attacker can't get in by attacking the lock)

It's questionable as to whether a lock could be made to match the Jeep key. I believe, however, that you can get all the Tuffy stuff keyed alike when you order.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
therealrico
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I believe, however, that you can get all the Tuffy stuff keyed alike when you order.
So would it matter whom I ordered it from regarding getting it keyed alike. For example would I have to order from Tuffy to get them keyed together? Or can any retailer offer the same thing?
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ask the vendor, they might be able to accommodate you (the keys are identified by a number). If they can't, order from Tuffy. It's worth the extra trouble.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Call them and they can have them all keyed alike for you. It costs a little extra but totally worth it.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
therealrico
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Ask the vendor, they might be able to accommodate you (the keys are identified by a number). If they can't, order from Tuffy. It's worth the extra trouble.
Yeah I plan to, actually called them today but unsurprisingly they are closed on Sunday. Thus why I started this thread out of impatience, figured a few people have experience with them might know.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
therealrico
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Call them and they can have them all keyed alike for you. It costs a little extra but totally worth it.
Will do but what you are saying is it has to be done through Tuffy? I couldn't do it through Quadratec for example?
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealrico View Post
Will do but what you are saying is it has to be done through Tuffy? I couldn't do it through Quadratec for example?
I don't know if Quadratec can supply it or not. The are able to supply extra/replacement keys.

The locks can easily be swapped out, the question is do they have the loose locks in stock?

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would just get ahold of Tuffy and order new locks. Quadratec just sells them.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
therealrico
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj
. Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
by the way, how's that XT881freeze ray gun working out. Been on the fence about buying one but I've heard their reliability isn't great especially for that price!
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealrico View Post
by the way, how's that XT881freeze ray gun working out. Been on the fence about buying one but I've heard their reliability isn't great especially for that price!
LOL it gets the job done.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I dealt with Tuffy to get everything keyed alike I had to jump through some hoops. They will demand a faxed copy of your drivers license before even taking a order. Do you trust your license info with them? I suggest going to your local lock smith first.
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The gentleman I chatted with at tuffy was very helpful at accommodating my needs. My order was originally for a glove box keyed to match my "old style" fender boxes. I was informed I needed a new set of locks because the old ones weren't available anymore and he was gonna throw in the rekeying for free. I was psyched but as they were out of the glove boxes at the time I allotted my money elsewhere because it burns a hole in my pocket.

Give them a call and see what you can do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.