Problem - Soft Top opens on the sides - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Problem - Soft Top opens on the sides

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
sesteva

Problem - Soft Top opens on the sides

Hi all,
My name is Santiago. Im a happy Jeep newbie. I had my Jeep for a year now. It is a 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2013. I live in Fort Worth TX.
Hard top was already set when I got the Jeep. It took me quite a lot of effort to uninstall the hard and assemble and install the soft top. I did not know the hard top would be that heavy. Is it because of the motor on the back?
So Ive been using the soft top for the last 6 months and now winter and snow storm really hit us last week. It is rather cold and now an issue that I had for a while is becoming a real problem.
Whenever Im driving above 20 mph, I start to feel a cold breeze on my neck. As I look on the side mirrors, I can see how the soft top starts to flap where it meets vertically with the doors. If you would be observing the jeep from the front, you would see Dumbo wide open ears taking all the wind on the sides. That part of the top is supposed to be trapped by the door but it is not.
Have you encountered the same problem? Can you think of any possible solution?

Thank you. Santiago

sesteva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

On TJ wranglers, we have door surrounds that the side panel windows clip into.
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have and did you use the door surrounds ?
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
ncb

Sounds like you're not inserting the L shaped part of the window into the door surround.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

By quick calculation I assume you bought it new,( irrelevant as it is under warranty if your roof is broken)- The salesperson is suppose to show you how to assemble/raise and lower the softtop.
You have 2 options: Go back to your salesman (dealership) and ask the salesperson to show you what you are doing wrong (not the service department as they will usually have to charge for the time)
or
You can also look at the owners manual- it is illustrated there. starting page 191 (removal)--> .
Go over the installation section to make sure you did it properly- there are a couple of different options.
pay carefull attention to page 230 step 6- are you inserting it correctly? (as per your description)

here is a copy (you need adobe pdf viewer)(free)
http://www.autodealertools.com/quick...3/Wrangler.pdf
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
By quick calculation I assume you bought it new,( irrelevant as it is under warranty if your roof is broken)- The salesperson is suppose to show you how to assemble/raise and lower the softtop.
You have 2 options: Go back to your salesman (dealership) and ask the salesperson to show you what you are doing wrong (not the service department as they will usually have to charge for the time)
or
You can also look at the owners manual- it is illustrated there. starting page 191 (removal)--> .
Go over the installation section to make sure you did it properly- there are a couple of different options.
pay carefull attention to page 230 step 6- are you inserting it correctly? (as per your description)

here is a copy (you need adobe pdf viewer)(free)
http://www.autodealertools.com/quick...3/Wrangler.pdf
In addition to looking at manuals, aren't there some good videos (perhaps even some made by Jeep) on Youtube?
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
sesteva

Thank you all for the advice. Im actually inserting the L part into the door surround. But there is nothing that would hold it in there. When I close the door it does not necessarily trap it all the way and it eventually goes loose when I reach certain speed. I ll try to take a picture today.
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

The way you are describing is that you are using the door to hold it in, which won't work. The L shape gets turned back towards the rear of your Jeep and forms a U more than an L. If you truly inserting the plastic clip into the door surround then the pressure of the window will hold it in place.

I always connect the zipper and zip about a half an inch. Then insert the plastic clip into the door surround so the whole thing will slide in easily without the added pressure of the fully zipped window. Once the L is in the surround and more of a U shape, I then zip the whole thing in. Be careful tho because while zipping the window it can pull out of the door surround so you have to be slow and methodical while doing it. Maybe that is your problem?

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
sesteva

Mm..Interesting. I dont have any plastic clip. That explains a lot.
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesteva View Post
Mm..Interesting. I dont have any plastic clip. That explains a lot.
sounds like you are missing the door surrounds

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Being a TJ owner and not having any firsthand JK knowledge, i can't really help.

But on a TJ, once the plastic ribs of the side panel windows are fitted into the door surrounds and tub flange, along with the zippers and Velcro, it's pretty impossible to get what you are describing.
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.