Post any nightmares you have had trying to sell a vehicle. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Post any nightmares you have had trying to sell a vehicle.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Post any nightmares you have had trying to sell a vehicle.

My nightmare occurred last year. I posted my CJ7 online and a potential buyer came to test drive the car. Instead of driving it like a normal person he slammed the gas pedal to the floor . My Cj7 has a 360 V8 with a little over 300 horse. The CJ almost did a wheelie. We almost ended up in my next door neighbors yard. I couldn't believe what this idiot did. I threw the Jeep into neutral and threw the idiot out of my vehicle. We could have gotten killed or killed an innocent child playing in the alley. What possess this idiot to do something like that is beyond me. Now when I have a vehicle for sale I do all the driving.

What nightmares have you experienced buying or selling a car?

Evian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Most nightmare stories I hear from friends come from selling bikes. Some people are just ****s.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Last time I went full throttle in a vehicle I was looking to buy, I was keeping up with traffic. I now own that vehicle. Soon though... soon I will light fire to the streets with the fire breathing V8! And then get pulled over for speeding.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't exactly call it a nightmare, but since I'm only 20 I guess it could count.

Last year, before I bought my TJ, I had a VW GTI. Well, my parents owned it and gave it to me. Well when I decided I wanted a jeep I asked my parents if I could sell it and have the money so I can pay for my own jeep. The difference between what it was worth, and what they owed on it was about $4,000.

Anyways, they said I could, but I have to shop around to get the most money for the GTI. I went back to the dealership we got it from and they were offering me $13,000 for it. It's worth $16,000 on trade. Went to two other VW dealerships, offered me the same thing. Went to TOYOTA, they offered me $15,000. Then finally went to Carmax and they gave me $16,000 for it.

So I guess it's not a "nightmare", but it is stupid how the VW dealership was wanting to give me less for my VW than Toyota...

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
My nightmare occurred last year. I posted my CJ7 online and a potential buyer came to test drive the car. Instead of driving it like a normal person he slammed the gas pedal to the floor . My Cj7 has a 360 V8 with a little over 300 horse. The CJ almost did a wheelie. We almost ended up in my next door neighbors yard. I couldn't believe what this idiot did. I threw the Jeep into neutral and threw the idiot out of my vehicle. We could have gotten killed or killed an innocent child playing in the alley. What possess this idiot to do something like that is beyond me. Now when I have a vehicle for sale I do all the driving.

What nightmares have you experienced buying or selling a car?
I was selling a convertible one someone did the same thing to me. I hate when potential buyers come to test drive it then drive it like they stole it. redlining the engine. I will no longer allow a buyer to test drive a vehicle just so they can take a joy ride. I simple inform them my insurance will not cover a collision if you are driving.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think if it's a "performance" car you shouldn't be surprised if someone comes to test drive it and flogs it.

Two reasons: One is they want to see your reaction. If you freak out you probably babied the thing. If the seller says "Is that all you've got?" chances are that vehicle was whipped every day of its life. The second is that a real performance car is designed to be driven "hard" - lots of RPM, hard corners, hard braking. I'd want to see if what I was buying could do that.

When shopping for a used KK for my dad I specifically turned abruptly, braked sharply, forced some hard shifts. I basically drove like my mom for a few minutes. In doing that, I wanted an idea of how loose everything was getting - three of them clunked and groaned doing that, the last one was tight and quiet so that was part of the purchase decision. They were all on car lots though and that's a totally different set of rules. Would I take someone's baby out and do that? Not likely.

All that said, flooring a V8 Jeep in the driveway probably isn't wise - ever.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
I think if it's a "performance" car you shouldn't be surprised if someone comes to test drive it and flogs it.

Two reasons: One is they want to see your reaction. If you freak out you probably babied the thing. If the seller says "Is that all you've got?" chances are that vehicle was whipped every day of its life. The second is that a real performance car is designed to be driven "hard" - lots of RPM, hard corners, hard braking. I'd want to see if what I was buying could do that.

When shopping for a used KK for my dad I specifically turned abruptly, braked sharply, forced some hard shifts. I basically drove like my mom for a few minutes. In doing that, I wanted an idea of how loose everything was getting - three of them clunked and groaned doing that, the last one was tight and quiet so that was part of the purchase decision. They were all on car lots though and that's a totally different set of rules. Would I take someone's baby out and do that? Not likely.

All that said, flooring a V8 Jeep in the driveway probably isn't wise - ever.
so you are saying if you had say a 700hp car you would expect the buyer to go WOT? you are good with that. he breaks it you are fine with that right.
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's a fairly extreme example. I don't own a 700 hp car and really can't imagine selling one through Craigslist or Autotrader if I did.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Was selling this lawmower engine powered bike I had, came from PepBoys I think. Just a toy to fool around on a farm or dirt lot or whatever. Some guy insisted on meeting me at my house, and he insisted on having MY number and me being open to contact.

Of course I was in school at the time and left me about 15 calls and messages, half of which were after I texted him that I can't talk on the phone.

He shows up later that day in a Taxi cab

I asks him where he was planning on putting the bike, he just ignored that. Kept asking where the registration was, where the title is, how long has it been of registration, where the license plate and turn signals were, so on and so forth. Me having this dumbfounded look upon my face as I was pretty clear that it was NOT a road legal bike, and it did not come with a title out of the box kept telling him that it's not made for the road, it's an off highway vehicle.

He handed me his ID as he wanted to go for a test drive. I figured, sure, why not. Not like it's fast anyways, has enough power to get up to about 25mph at WOT, and that's it. He comes back 2 minutes later and says he'll take it. Hands me the cash, grabs his ID, duct tapes a gas can to the rear fender, and rides off. Supposedly he intended to ride it to and from work, and lived some 35 miles from me.

I have no idea, to this day, if that bike is still in one piece, or if he got in a horrible car accident. Worst transaction I have ever had, guy was ignorant about everything

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not so much a nightmare for myself, but I was selling an old RX-7 that had plenty of issues and the body was rough. A bunch of boozed up college guys showed up at night to take a look a it. I was straight about it's issues as I was actually selling it as a parts car as it wasn't reliable (had a vapor locking issue for one). They didn't know a thing about rotary engines. They handed me $400 and drove it away. I bet it was a shock the next morning when the sun came up.

P.S. It was this silver, no primer gray POS one:

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my worst nightmare was with a boat. just a 15' with a 30hp mercury, 1,500.00. one guy pointed out every small flaw, told me it was a piece of junk but he would take it for 500.00. I told him I didn't realize it was in such bad shape and I'd feel bad selling it to him so thanks for coming by, see ya. he gets mad and we almost get into a fist fight. then an old couple comes by and tells me I had a lot of nerve asking 3,500.00 for it. told them they made a mistake, its 1,500.00. he points to an add in the boat trader and it was for a different boat. then the guy says well, its still a piece of junk and storms off. the next day I sold it to a guy who gave me the asking price.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Piker73
2013 JK Wrangler 

One time I was going to buy this CJ7from a dude. I went to test drive it and romped on the gas. I almost did a wheelie! It was awesome. Almost ended up in the neighbors yard... you should have seen his face!
Piker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bet he threw you out of the jeep.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My dad had a 2006 Yamaha R1. He bought it off of craigslist never road it and sold it 6 months later for what he bought it for. It was a super clean bike, only had 6000 miles on it and had never been dropped. He gets a call from a guy who is interested, gives his back story about how he has been riding since he was 12 and always wanted a bigger bike. He comes out to test drive it, I notice he kind of pops the clutch getting it out of our drive way (small hill) and is wobbly until he gets up to speed. I point this out to my dad and he said, probably just not used to the bike. Guy says he will take it, and asks if we could give him a ride from our credit union the next day after we sign the title over. My dad meets him the next day signs the papers and then gives him a ride to our house. The guy changes into full leather riding gear and rides off, again he pops the clutch and is wobbly. About an hour later we go to the store to see the bike being duct tapped back together in a guys driveway before even leaving the neighborhood. I guess he was riding to slow around the turn leaving the neighborhood almost dropped it and then punched the gas to save it not having any experience with a 1000cc bike that did not go over well. He tore the fairing and a foot peg off and scrapped up the entire side of the bike, then left the lights on while duct tapping it back together and killed the battery. He then had to ride an hour and a half home with only one foot peg.

We threw in an extra helmet in the deal for his girl friend, he was going to come back to get it. We never did hear from him, I don't know if this is because he was to embarrassed or if because he had no girl friend after basically totaling a $6000 motorcycle a block from where he bought it with no insurance.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker73 View Post
One time I was going to buy this CJ7from a dude. I went to test drive it and romped on the gas. I almost did a wheelie! It was awesome. Almost ended up in the neighbors yard... you should have seen his face!
Funny dude!
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.