pentastar thoughts ??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > pentastar thoughts ???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
Jim M
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
As mentioned it is in the same place as the 11' models. Its small and about a couple inches from the shift handle.
I did post what pics i could take, JK vs. JK, But the ones i wanted to take i wasn't allowed. There were "tag out" tags on certain parts. I was not allowed to open the hood or get detail which kinda made me mad. The dealer was allowed one tag for service to check fluids etc, But other than that i could only drive it and fill it with fuel and fill out a bunch of surveys. I ran 87 octane no ethanol too with no ping etc...
What exactly did you drive? Are you sure it was a 2012? I asked about the O/D button and you said it was in the same place as the 2011 model. I now have my 2012, and there is no O/D at all.

Was this part of a blind survey? I'm curious now about what it is you drove. 3.6 with the old trans?

Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #32
jeepingib

I test drove a 2 door Rubicon with the 4.10 gears and a six speed the other day. I have to say that I am very impressed. The salesman was really cool. He came out and chatted me up a bit, after he realized I knew more about Jeeps than he did, he let me have my go at it. We pulled it out of the back lot where they hid the new 12's in order to try and sell the 11's and then he got called in to the showroom. He tossed me the keys and said "Giver Hell!" You don't have to tell me twice. Maybe he thought that I'd be gentle because I had my boy with me. I didn't romp the piss out of it, but managed to spin the tires as I merged onto the highway out of the parking lot. It held sixth without slowing on hills that the 3.8 can't. It really acted like a bigger engine. Now I just need to wait to see that new orange in person.
jeepingib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #33
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
What exactly did you drive? Are you sure it was a 2012? I asked about the O/D button and you said it was in the same place as the 2011 model. I now have my 2012, and there is no O/D at all.

Was this part of a blind survey? I'm curious now about what it is you drove. 3.6 with the old trans?

That is odd. The route they gave me took me to and from, A to B/B back to A. I can say under the hood when they were checking the fluids before the next person was to take over, The plastic cover didn't say jeep at all, Just pentastar 3.6L VVT, No other markings.
Blind survey maybe, But i had done one of them before with the charger and v6 vs. v8.
But I'm positive it was a 12' and i know i hit that button in the same spot as the one i drove down. The 11' had all the 70th anniversary badges all over and the 12' didn't, Same interior but no stampings etc just a plain jane JK except it had more items to play with on the steering wheel.

I'm curious now and going to find out. By chance can you take a pic of your center console by the shifter? I cant see how they could remove it for towing etc as mentioned before. If i was a "water placebo" tester and was told wrong sorry to all, But i will find out what the deal is at least on my part.
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #34
Jim M
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry it took so long. I kinda forgot about this thread. I'm still interested in what you drove. Seems kinda cool and somewhat Area 51 like.

Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #35
coach-mike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I put a Sprint booster on my FJ Cruiser and it removed the throttle lag 100% They cost $300 but well worth the cost. I also added a Supercharger so now it really moves. I have a black 2012 on order and can't wait to MOD IT!!

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/?g...FcYUKgoddDgB9g

Unread 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #36
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think i got the clone/water placebo. That center console looks nothing like what i drove both times on the 11'. It had 1 and 2 IIRC, But i know it was wider than whats shown and had more gear options.
It would explain the same mpg and DBW lag. That and the vin# on the dash was removed, But no surprise to me. Sorry for all the misleading info, I was told it was a 12', Joke's on me.
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I would strongly advise against getting a Pentastar for a while and if you have any stock in Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, you might want to sell before the cat that's being held gets out of the bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown View Post
Why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterboy2121 View Post
the pentastar has been out in the grand cherokee for almost a full year and i have not seen a single one come into our shop here at the dodge store (for engine work) but hey thats just a fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
A whole year....
Sorry for the delay, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't reveal what I heard until now. This is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge, but I think it worth sharing. From two Chrysler techs and a Mopar/Chrysler engineer I have heard that "there is a problem" with the Pentastar. Many of the those that went into the public market are now coming back having lost the #2 cylinder. There is little regularity to the failure; some suck a valve, some throw a rod, and in others the cylinder just fries, but it's always #2, and nobody can say why. They are working very hard to figure it out and, I would imagine, have pulled most available engineering resources to resolve the issue(s). As many (millions?) of new vehicles are set to be recipients of this "innovative" new power-plant, this could be a devastating blow to the auto group, and, as you can imagine, they have been doing everything imaginable to keep this information under wraps. Again, this is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge. To protect my sources I will not, under any circumstance, reveal who they are, nor any other potentially identifying information, so don't ask. Take this for what it is; heresy from an anonymous internet troll, perhaps, but I have nothing to gain by posting this, so consider yourselves warned.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't reveal what I heard until now. This is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge, but I think it worth sharing. From two Chrysler techs and a Mopar/Chrysler engineer I have heard that "there is a problem" with the Pentastar. Many of the those that went into the public market are now coming back having lost the #2 cylinder. There is little regularity to the failure; some suck a valve, some throw a rod, and in others the cylinder just fries, but it's always #2, and nobody can say why. They are working very hard to figure it out and, I would imagine, have pulled most available engineering resources to resolve the issue(s). As many (millions?) of new vehicles are set to be recipients of this "innovative" new power-plant, this could be a devastating blow to the auto group, and, as you can imagine, they have been doing everything imaginable to keep this information under wraps. Again, this is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge. To protect my sources I will not, under any circumstance, reveal who they are, nor any other potentially identifying information, so don't ask. Take this for what it is; heresy from an anonymous internet troll, perhaps, but I have nothing to gain by posting this, so consider yourselves warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #39
hunterboy2121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ha ha ha why does your FJ say TuRD lol . . . thats cool i want a supercharger for my TJ
hunterboy2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #40
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Damn, that's going to be a ***** when the word gets out.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #41
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown View Post
Damn, that's going to be a ***** when the word gets out.
It may well be a localized issue that looks bigger because of statistical clustering. Since the pentastar is the main engine for the entire larger product line, as well as some premium Fiat products, it would be almost impossible to hide it from the net... look how the Hyundai steering problem and the Mustang transmission problem were outed.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #42
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Never get the first version of any major vehicle changes.
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #43
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I seen some of the 2012's at dealership and I was excited about the changes until the comment about the #2 cylinder issue arising. I agree about not buy first versions of changes. The new rubicon is $40000!!!! That's crazy. With those prices I don't see me letting go of my tj for a good while. I watched both of the motortrend videos for the 2012 wranglers and they look pretty good.
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #44
hunterboy2121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

okay i just drove a 2012 and there is for sure a big differance in power i loved it
hunterboy2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #45
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2011 GC with the pentastar and love it. I bought the complete lifetime warranty with it so if it blows the #2 cylinder they can just keep fixing it... even 25 years from now What the heck... I'll always have a jeep that runs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.