Painting a Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Painting a Jeep

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Cobra21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Painting a Jeep

Okay my Jeep has a nice chalky white shine to it. Bought it a few months ago and planning on stripping it down and re painting it during the summer. I have decaled pin-striping on the hood and near the fender flares. Anybody know how to get that off? I'm gong to repaint it a simple white so should I try and do it on my own? or should I just hand it off to a paint shop? Also want to save a few bucks

img_0608-1-.jpg  
Cobra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

depends on what you want it to look like.

IF you have auto&body work/ painting skills, the tools, a place you can paint it, the time to have it down.( your profile says you are 15??) Do it your self? some how I do not think at 15 you have had time to build those skills. But a Jeep is a great way to learn ,easier than many other things to paint.

Or have a shop do it, but that may not be cheep.
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Cobra21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did my whole interior with monstaliner. But I get what your saying. Don't really want so shell out a thousand bucks for a simple white paint job.
Cobra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It starts with the prep work, which you can learn to do and then have an auto body shop do the paint. But many shops won't guarantee the paint, with good reason. In the end, you get what you pay for. Body work is a good skill to pickup, but it's dirty, and tough, manual labor.

Being 15, you'll probably have many cars in your life, and although the first one you think you'll keep it forever, you'll probably move on to something else. (I as well once wanted to repaint my first car, but I'm glad that I didn't as it was later sold for parts!) Just think it over and get your dad's advice.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From the picture you posted, the paint doesn't look all that bad. If the paint is just faded, a good clay bar, buff and wax might do wonders. You can do it yourself, however you'll spend a few hundred bucks on materials, or you can take it to a nice detail shop, pay a little more, but have it look awesome.
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
gunut
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think she looks fine the way she is........mirrors might be more of a priority
gunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
From the picture you posted, the paint doesn't look all that bad. If the paint is just faded, a good clay bar, buff and wax might do wonders...
^^^ this. You can do wonders by cleaning and polishing. Your sweat equity will be much more rewarding.

HOSS

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
^^^ this. You can do wonders by cleaning and polishing. Your sweat equity will be much more rewarding.

HOSS
I second this also.

My Jeep was chalky white and some good polish made it shine again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.