Paint protection ?? WAX, POLISH, etc????? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Paint protection ?? WAX, POLISH, etc?????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #16
JEEPAlchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
How much of a PITA is the Zaino to apply?? I read the info on their website and it looks like I'd need the whole weekend to get it done. Something has to be easier
The first time, if you do it right, is a good days work [...a decent workout actually]. Possibly some sore muscles the next day. This would include stripping off what you have on now with a good washing with Dawn, followed by the clay bar. After re-washing with the Zaino carwash use the Z-6 [spray gloss-enhancer], Z-2 [the "wax"/add ZFX additive], Z-6, Z-2, Z6. It's time consuming that first time. Top it off with the tire gloss [which is also an amazing product] and the Raggtopp [not a Zaino product] if you have a soft-top and it's better than when you got it off the showroom floor! I guess it can be intimidating, especially when you haven't already experienced the results. But after seeing the awesome results it seems worth it. It's also much easier everytime after the first time. Good investment in time and money, trust me...

===========================
JEEPAlchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2004, 10:25 PM   #17
Kraw

Zaino is easy.

as stated above. In addition, I do the clay at the same time as the wash, speeds things up. I think the first time will take about 2 or 3 hrs on a Jeep since there's very little metal. On my truck, it was closer to 4 hrs!

after that, it's easy to use. Easy enough to use after every wash. You don't have to work it into the paint. Just rub it on lightly in back forth (not circular) motion. No buffing or anything
Unread 08-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #18
btolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
I tried Meguire's NXT wax on my Harleys and was very impressed. It has a money back guarantee.
I have been using Meguiar's RV and Boat Wax for the last couple of years but switched to Meguiar's NXT about 4 months ago.

Gives a good shine and easy to apply and polish off. I also use Meguiar's Car Wash and wash it by hand. We have a lot of minerals in the water here so I wipe it dry every time.

So far I am happy with it.

A car wash with high pressure and hot water will strip the wax off so I stay away from them.

Bill Tolle
04 Sahara
04 Liberty
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #19
Activ8Potential

No kidding! I sure hope it's "nothing short of amazing" after getting a degree to learn how to apply it.
Activ8Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #20
lawdawg

Jezz JeepAlchemy, what were you doing, looking for threads you could bump to advertise for Zaino?

Zaino is a cult thing. Kind of like Jerry Jeff Walker and that other idiot that can't sing that all college kids (especially those at Texas A&M) think that they discovered as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Zaino is a polymer wax that is no better or worse than other polymer waxes like Meguiar's Gold Class or Number 26 paint sealer. Generally speaking, when people speak of a paint "sealer", they are talking about polymer waxes which supposedly "bond" with clearcoat paints better than carnuba waxes. But I can guarantee you that there is no chemical bond between polymer waxes and your paint, any "bond" would only be a physical bond.

Polymers are supposed to last longer on clearcoat paints, hence the term "bond". However, that's only if you apply them and let them cure prorperly. Polymers must be applied very thinly and evenly to cure properly. This is almost impossible to achieve by hand--you need an orbital buffer. High heat and humidity makes the curing process even more finicky. Carnubas are easier to use because they are more forgiving in their curing process.

The only obvious difference between polymers and carnubas is the look. Polymers give a highly reflective shine that looks good on metallic paints and light colors. Carnubas give a deep, wet look that is desireable on dark paints. I actually prefer it on all paints except white.

After typing this, I decided I need to adjust my analogy between Zaino and Jerry Jeff. There is nothing wrong with Zaino, it's just no better than a dozen other waxes out there. On the other hand Jerry Jeff sucks.
33 x 12.50 Xterrains
15 x 10 Weld Mountain Crushers
Warn front and rear bumper with tire carrier
Toys by Troy Rock Steps
Bushwhacker 6" Pocket Flares
Eight Ball shift knob (adds at least 10 hp)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #21
shagnasty

I use duragloss, it goes on like a lotion and comes off with very little effort. I have used Zaino and it is good stuff, just a little hassle to have to order it. Duragloss is available at most Carquest stores and may be available online also. Just try some different stuff, find what you like. But absolutely Zaino is my favorite.
2004 TJ Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 4" Full-Traction short arm lift. Trail ready front bumper, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, Amsoil air filter, 33x12.50 M/T Baja Claw RAdials, 15x8 American Racing 625's. AA SYE, "Woody" shaft.
shagnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 08:06 AM   #22
sbninja
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I washed, my jeep yesterday. it's a 2004 wrangler sport, Black

I tried maguires cleaner wax, (didn't like it)

Then I tried the spray can of Eagle one fast wax(didn't like it either)

I then looked over to where I keep my motorcycle stuff, and saw a can of S100 Detail+Wax. I think, this is the stuff I will use from on my cars from now on! Just spray it on a clean towel, and apply! What a deep shine!
sbninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 08:34 AM   #23
Optik45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Man oh man, Every wax listed in this tread I know nothing about. I havent heard anyone mention anything that Ive used for years. Such as Mother's and Turtle wax. Is there anything wrong with these classic wax products or am I just still living in the past.
1" MORE MML
33x12.5" BFG MTs on Tech-1 Rock Crawlers
KC 130W Long Range Slimlites mounted on Windshield.
JKS Quick Disconnects
and a lot of other trinkets

My Jeep
Optik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #24
limecolbyjack

polymer wax is great, but what wrong with silicone in the other products?? -chris

i used the weathershield yesterday and went on easy and easy to wipe off. slick and beady i thike it. -chris
limecolbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #25
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I give another vote for zaino. I just recently put a few coats on my Regal. It's black and looks better than when it was new. You can literally spray it with water and it is dry within 2-3 seconds. Nothing will stick to it.

Worth every penny.

$.02
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #26
Jasonoff

I was an avid zaino user until 4 months ago. If you're willing to step it up a few knotches with some harder work I'd recommend Kalsse.
TJ took it's place...
[color=white]White Jeep Club Member #706[/color]
Jasonoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #27
BNovak

one word.....

GARAGE!

ya, I know,I'm going to h3ll for that one, but oh well, the ride down will be fun!
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #28
Aus-Rick
2013 WK 

'Opticoat' Paint Protection ?

Hey folks - I just bought my (black) 2013 Grand Cherokee here in Australia - and decided against the dealers $1000 paint protection package - but have been looking at other options (apart from waxing etc).

I see there is an 'Opticoat' product available here (basically a clear ceramic coating applied by some authorised (non-Jeep) service agents) - which their site says :

http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/pro...rotection.html

" The Optimum Ceramic Clear Coating (Opti-Coat Pro) is all about protection. But what sets it apart from numerous other products on the market making similar claims?

The first significant difference is the chemistry. Dr David Ghodoussi, an Organic Chemist and founder of Optimum Polymer Technologies explains it best.

"Opti-Coat is a pre-polymer that cross links and forms a continuous film on the surfaces it is applied to, similar to a single component isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish. Opti-Coat also reacts with the substrate that it is applied to so it will not delaminate"

"As far as the durability, it is similar to urethane clear coats. It will not wash away or break down, however, you can polish it over time ! The hardness starts at 6-7 but will increase over time to 9H as it is exposed to heat. Opti-Coat has better chemical resistance, scratch & mar resistance, and release properties than any automotive coating in use."

Has anyone used it on their GC ?
Aus-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moving this 9-year old resurrected-from-the-dead non-tech thread to the Wrangler General Discussion forum.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Moving this 9-year old resurrected-from-the-dead non-tech thread to the Wrangler General Discussion forum.
what i thought it should have went to the "street jeep". Its more mall rated

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.