Oversized tire carrier question/tailgate latches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Oversized tire carrier question/tailgate latches

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oversized tire carrier question/tailgate latches

2002 TJ 4.0L

33" Goodyear Duratrec
Black Steel Wheel

Looking into oversized tire carriers since I am upgrading to 33s on the Jeep. I'd really rather not pay almost a grand for a tire carrier though so I was wondering if there is any solution to carrying a 33. I found this through some research

http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1213

However I have heard that tailgate latches will begin to bend or something like that overtime if you don't have a rear bumper style tire carrier so I'm curious if this will be okay for a 33. I don't wheel very often and when I do it's nothing to extreme.

Ryan

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen a few people bolt an L shaped bracket to the bumper for the tire to rest on. Also extend the rubber bumpers behind the tire out against it so i does not wobble.
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exogate look it up.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Knowwhere2jeep.com

Go to specials. Crown rear bumper and tire carrier for $350

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys, I will do some research and see what I come up with

Ryan

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't feel like you have to buy a carrier for 33s. Plenty of people run them on stock carrier without damaging the gate/hinges.
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
steelslinger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 31X10.5R15 on my gate with an oversized carrier. I had to adjust my gate up to close right. My friends behind me say it looks like its going to fall off when trail riding but it's working ok
steelslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Short and simplified version:

I took a steel plate and mounted the spare tire carrier to the plate, then mounted the plate to the tailgate so the spare tire carrier was now 2.25" higher. It raised the 33" spare tire up enough to clear the rear bumper, and kept it close to the tailgate. I put spacers on the rubber tire bumpers so they continued to make contact with the tire (so the tire doesn't wiggle). That was about four years ago; so far so good.
sparetiremount003.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Exogate:

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

From what I've read (and since it was designed by jscherb) the exogate should be a very sturdy and high-quality product. But it's what; $300-something dollars? If it moved the tire over enough to the passenger side and came with a way to put a 5 gallon Jerry can on the driver's side it might be worth it to me (even if I had to flush-mount my tail lights).

Instead, I've been happy with my steel plate adapter (in post #8 above). Here are some more pictures of the plate:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...5/#post7912841

So far I've had no issues with it.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
From what I've read (and since it was designed by jscherb) the exogate should be a very sturdy and high-quality product. But it's what; $300-something dollars? If it moved the tire over enough to the passenger side and came with a way to put a 5 gallon Jerry can on the driver's side it might be worth it to me (even if I had to flush-mount my tail lights).

Instead, I've been happy with my steel plate adapter (in post #8 above). Here are some more pictures of the plate:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...5/#post7912841

So far I've had no issues with it.
The differential between plain bumpers and those with a tire swing is often $300 or more. I had one and it rattled and clunked constantly. It was also heavier than Hades. It also was not low profile and it was a PITA to open and close and then I still had to open and close the gate to get access to my gear.

It is not for everybody, neither are clunky tire swings on massive bumpers.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.