other 4x4 users - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > other 4x4 users

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
flopp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

other 4x4 users

why is it that when a person gets in their 4x4 truck in the winter they think they are invincable it gives 4x4s bad reps. I have seen countless 4x4 trucks spin out in front of me and crash like the other night when some dummy in a new chevy tahoe (I think it was a tahoe not a chevy man) was speeding during a snow storm and passed me only to spin out into my lane and off the side of the road. I stopped to help and notice his whole family in the car (2 kids younger and his wife) then he had the nerve to be rude to me saying if i was going the speed limit ( I was 5 under for good reason) he wouldn't have spun his truck what nerve and right after I helped him. I know I am only 19 and been driving in this crap for 3 years but is that how all 4x4 users act in the snow and why do they think they are invinsable sorry if It seems like I am ranting but this is bugging the crap out of me

flopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Driving in 4x4 makes me feel invincible - knowing that, I drive in 2wd as much as possible and, only when I am really hurting for traction will I pull that magic lever and engage my front drive-shaft ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You are young,,,but drive like an experienced man. Kudos to you.
Sensible and safe will almost always end without incident.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
flopp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thank you but i just know when its time to do stupid stuff and when others could be hurt by my actions and i dont let those mix anyhow is this normal behavior for people with 4x4s
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

people who dont offroad like to think that 4x4 means you can do anything at any speed at any time, where as we know what happens and what it take to get stuck, or take a wrong line. i can honestly say most of the vehicles i see in ditches are 4x4 or AWD
Unread 12-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
people who dont offroad like to think that 4x4 means you can do anything at any speed at any time, where as we know what happens and what it take to get stuck, or take a wrong line. i can honestly say most of the vehicles i see in ditches are 4x4 or AWD
X2 ^^^

That's the difference between a owner and a enthusiast. Don't become a part of the "Hey....it's got 4WD!" crowd...lol

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopp View Post
... then he had the nerve to be rude to me saying if i was going the speed limit ( I was 5 under for good reason) he wouldn't have spun his truck what nerve and right after I helped him.
Turn to the wife and say, "Ma'am, you must be a saint to put up with this Philistine; I'm sure he was very pleasant when you were dating..."
Tip your hat to the gent and wish him a merry Christmas.

Don't let it bother you, kid. You did the right thing in every respect.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopp View Post
I stopped to help and notice his whole family in the car (2 kids younger and his wife) then he had the nerve to be rude to me saying if i was going the speed limit ( I was 5 under for good reason) he wouldn't have spun his truck what nerve and right after I helped him.
You walked away from the truck and drove off after that part, right?
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think the harder it snows, the lower some 4x4 owners IQ's drop.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
flopp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
You walked away from the truck and drove off after that part, right?
no he drove off and was speeding again i assume because i never seen him again i had to put my tow strap away
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i grew up driving a 2wd truck in the wv winters and even went off road with it with nothing but a 2 ton come-a-long to get me out when stuck ,i didn't get a 4x4 untill sometime in the 90's,
i see these stupid drives all the time that do not know how to drive , for some reason 4x4 gives some people a false sense of security, i love it when they get stuck and say, i don't understand why i got stuck i've got 4wheel drive , these people need to learn how to drive first
you need to be careful when pulling someone out if there is any damage they may want to blame you .make sure that they under stand that you are not responsable for any damage if they don't like that tell them to call a tow truck and pay for the recovery
Unread 12-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with you the winter brings out the worst drivers. Where I live its mostly the people with AWD that are idiots on the road. People in their ford escapes think they are gods.

Rubibluejay put it best, an owner and enthusiast are completely different drivers.
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #13
tractorfix
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep is great in the snow. I have 4 brand new 235 Tiger Paw Ice & Snow on it. The only real downside I have found in snow driving is that it is too light in the front. I only have the 4 cyl. I had a close call yesterday. I wasn't going too fast . It caught a rut and jumped left right at a guy going the other way. Got both our attention.

I'm putting a 8500lb winch and a some KC's on a bar on the front of it. That should add about 100lbs to the front. I'm hoping for a marked difference.
Unread 12-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
rammanriley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I cant tell you how many people ive seen in that same perdicament(sp?). Im only 19 also and i have two 4x4's (see sig). My fav recovery was last winter when a kid in an explorer spun out infront of my ram down a side street and went into the ditch. I pulled up and had him hook it up to his vehicle. then i told him to put it in 4x4 and he looked at me and said " oh I thought it was automatic because it was an explorer?" Btw it was a early 90's Ex. Needless to say it was only 2wd so i just ended up draging him out of the ditch.
rammanriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammanriley View Post
then i told him to put it in 4x4 and he looked at me and said " oh I thought it was automatic because it was an explorer?"
Oh jeez... some people just make me wonder.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.