One last chance - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > One last chance

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
It was a bit of a morbid joke.

Thing is, I can't bring myself to buy a "normal" commuter car.
I've never owned anything that I would consider mainstream

Taurus SHO 5 speed
Jaguar XJ6
Chevy Chevelle
1986 GMC 1500
Lifted Wrangler <- probably the most "normal" of the group.
blah blah blah.

I get too much enjoyment out of actually driving.
The Audi S4 has literally everything that I want in a vehicle.
AWD, manual trans, luxury, 340hp 4.2L V8 etc, the downside of course is fuel and maintenance costs.

I'm both in love and a bit intimidated by this setup on the 4.2L though:
<3
And that picture was probably taken at the dealership after breaking down and sometime before giving the owner a $5000 bill for some trinket buried beneath a mountain of "German engineering".

I agree that Jeeps aren't that reliable, but if that's what you're after you shouldn't be buying a German car.

Unread 05-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post

And that picture was probably taken at the dealership after breaking down and sometime before giving the owner a $5000 bill for some trinket buried beneath a mountain of "German engineering".

I agree that Jeeps aren't that reliable, but if that's what you're after you shouldn't be buying a German car.
Jeeps are very reliable if taken care of bit if routine maintenance isn't done nothong will stay reliable especially when they are beat on like we do

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm half-way through the ultimatum for the Jeep.
$100 in parts to last 6 months.

I'm happy to say I'm at the end of the 3rd month without having invested a single dollar into the rig and it has held up OK.

Today, I just got a P0301 misfire in cylinder 1 code.
Here we go again...

$100 left to spend.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm already eyeballing Audi's as a more reliably option than the Jeep hoping that the Jeep gets the hint.
Many, many years ago I bought one of the first Audi models to hit these shores. That sucker would rust on a cloudy day. I doubt you'll even see any of those in auto meets because none have survived.

While Wrangers have some reliability issues, the are probably the most fixable current vehicle on the road (especially before JK). Everything is accessible, everything is replaceable.

A former Audi owner claimed the minimum price for visiting a dealer was about $1500.

For a fun car that's not hard to live with, I've had good results with Subarus.

But at the end of the day, there is no reason a Jeep can't be a long term daily driver. My 89 YJ is my primary vehicle, daily driver, off road toy and road trip vehicle. Fixing anything on that is much easier than most any other car.

German cars are cool, but they are FAR from economical to maintain. MB quoted me $150 for a window switch for my wife's car (and she needed two). Fortunately I found after market ones.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
A former Audi owner claimed the minimum price for visiting a dealer was about $1500.
No thank you!

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post

While Wrangers have some reliability issues, the are probably the most fixable current vehicle on the road (especially before JK). Everything is accessible, everything is replaceable.

As a former owner of a JK and now a TJ, I can assure you that working on a TJ is a breeze, a walk in the park, compared to a JK.

J
2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #22
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

$15 gone, had to replace a burned out headlight, again.

$85 left to go in the next 3 months before she's gone!
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #23
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unfortunately in my situation that won't work. I have only 1 parking spot in my apartment and I just lost my secondary storage area that I'm currently using for my project Chevelle.
As it is I need to find storage space for the vehicles I already have.

For the guys talking about Hondas and Toyotas, have you priced one of those things out recently? They're damned expensive for what you get.
A normal no frills Accord/Civic (2000-2005) around here is selling for 5-7K with over 130K on the odometer.
I do not see how purchasing a vehicle like that could be considered an upgrade. I would lose 4wd, have a vehicle with more miles, a bank loan on top of it all and STILL be running the risk of getting a lemon.

It feels like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.
This $100 investment needs to last 6 months before I need to do anything else to it or it's gone.
Anyone want to buy a low mileage Wrangler? Lots of new parts!
Low milage?? Then why so many repeat bushings? You must have some mutant rubber eating microbes where you live.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Low milage?? Then why so many repeat bushings? You must have some mutant rubber eating microbes where you live.

It hasn't even hit 97k yet. For a 1999, thats awesome.
7k miles/year average, 48% less than the national average

It's the poly that was an issue, I learned that the hard way, same with cheap RC flex joints.
The PO had poly bushings in it from RE that just deformed and wallowed out the bushing sleeves.
Not to mention poly bushings in the shocks that did the same.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No matter what car you buy, it's going to have it's share of issues. Honda's vtech solenoids like to go out, bmw's window regulators, Toyota's can have issues with the computer that ends up affecting the cooling fan so the car overheats, buick transmissions love to **** the bed, ford Taurus transmissions like to fail right after the warranty expires. Sometimes these issues happen no matter what type of maintenance you do, even strictly by book. Much of what you've replaced are considered wear items. You've already invested many dollars to get your jeep running correctly, I've been down your road and I'm still going down it every once and awhile. Cars break. Think about your decision before buying another car or truck, because you may end up spending just as much on another vehicle.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.