One last chance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > One last chance

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

One last chance

I'm giving the Jeep one last chance before I send it down the river for good.
This POS has been nothing but a headache to me ever since I got it.
To date here is a list of repairs that I remember:

New water pump
Two new thermostats
New radiator (old one leaked)
Transfer case shifter was screwed up when they put the lift in.
Fan motor switch went bad melting the plug (twice)
Fan motor itself crapped out
Wiper motor
blower resistor
Starter multiple times
axle bearings in the back
U-joints in the d30 axle a couple times
Unit bearings in the front
brakes and master hardware kits all 4 corners (twice, once after the axle swap too)
DAMNED 8.8 E-BRAKE, constantly adjusting or replacing thigns
shocks all 4 corners
Radio mounts were non existant when i got it.
Antennea mount was stripped on the outside of vehicle
Power steering gearbox
Track bar front twice (once to replace, and again with the WJ swap)
New bushings in rear track bar (twice now)
New steering stabilizer
Spider gears in the d35 were destroyed but still moving me forward
rear track bar relocation bracket kept losing bolts and had to be welded on
gas tank skid has rotted through
More sway bar links and bushings than I care to mention
Rear wheel spacers that nearly caused MAJOR accidents (had to come off with the angle grinder)
Several wheel studs snapped, spun or siezed
all TRE's in the front are gonezo
New oil cap (broke in half)
New gas cap (leaked, threw CEL)
Pinion seals front and rear are toast
Transmission/ Transfer case leaks like a sieve
Spun several nutserts in the frame taking off the skid.
Broke a ball flange bolt where the exhaust meets the header
Complete block back exhaust and 2000+ 2 piece manifold swap after 2nd head pipe cracked.
The A/C leaks
Plugs and wires at 65k
Distributor cap twice (one junk aluminum one fouled up quickly)
Ignition coil shortly after
3 TPS sensors
Brake lines on all corners
Fuel pump/sending unit retaining ring loosened up somewhere along the line throwing a CEL
Replaced the pump itself soon after
Replaced sections of frame when the rear UCA brackets rotted off
Repaired said section of replacement frame when the UCA brackets broke off (bad design by autorust technicians)
Wheels to get them to stop leaking
More bushings than I care to mention
U-JOINTS
Had to replace the injectors (old ones were fouled out/plugged)
Wound up doing a HP30/8.8 swap to essentially replace all the bad crap
WJ brakes/knuckes and steering because the wimpy d30 stockers were way too flimsy in panic stop situations.
I'm on my 3rd driveshaft in the rear

I haven't hit as much as a dirt road with the thing in the past 2 years because I spend literally every weekend working on the damn thing. Just when you get it to settle down, something else lets loose.

I bought it with 62k on the clock and did ALL of the above repairs between then and now. The kicker is the vehicle still has less than 94500 miles on it....

I say it's getting one last chance because I have a short list of smallish things to fix and $100 to spend doing it.
But that's it, no more. If I get through that $100 and it still has issues, I'm selling it.

And they say low mileage makes a difference HA!

Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to owning a jeep.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i would bet the Jeeps see more than just light wheeling as well. Off road has a toll. lots of mudd can kill many things.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing more dangerous than salt induced rust is the previous owner.
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

So, in effect, you jacked up the horn button, and replaced everything underneath of it?

Geez, you may as well keep it.... There's nothing else to go bust!
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBad View Post
Geez, you may as well keep it.... There's nothing else to go bust!
I've been playing that card for years now but the Jeep has kept surprising me!

Agreed, the previous owner ran this thing through hell and as mentioned, the "salt" they use up here absolutely destroys these things. I've put less than 15 miles of very light trail driving on the thing in the 6 years I've had it but who knows the the PO did. Based on personal experience dealing with Jeepers and people on this board, 13 years is the magic number for a full framed Jeep in New England.

Before anyone get's huffy, this is not Jeep bashing thread, this is a thread bashing MY Jeep.

I'm already eyeballing Audi's as a more reliably option than the Jeep hoping that the Jeep gets the hint.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the prior owner passed on the maintenance that he should have done, hope it stops being a POS.
Audi?,I wouldn't buy anything from across the pond,(if it you sell) you can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda, if you don't want another POS, just my 2cts.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It was a bit of a morbid joke.

Thing is, I can't bring myself to buy a "normal" commuter car.
I've never owned anything that I would consider mainstream

Taurus SHO 5 speed
Jaguar XJ6
Chevy Chevelle
1986 GMC 1500
Lifted Wrangler <- probably the most "normal" of the group.
blah blah blah.

I get too much enjoyment out of actually driving.
The Audi S4 has literally everything that I want in a vehicle.
AWD, manual trans, luxury, 340hp 4.2L V8 etc, the downside of course is fuel and maintenance costs.

I'm both in love and a bit intimidated by this setup on the 4.2L though:
<3
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Sounds like the prior owner passed on the maintenance that he should have done, hope it stops being a POS.
Audi?,I wouldn't buy anything from across the pond,(if it you sell) you can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda, if you don't want another POS, just my 2cts.
You do realize toyota and Honda are Japanesse right. I got a pretty good grade when I took geography and if memory serves Japan is "across the pond also" just at a different angle.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

I owned a 1987 Honda Accord LX and a 1991 Honda Accord EX, both made in Japan. Both were the biggest pieces of junk I have ever owned. Transmission issues - one manual and one auto, bad water pump, ignition lock broke, failed motor mounts, two bad alternators, moon roof broke, timing belt broke at ~ 24k miles, headlight motor failed, power windows failed, carb gasket failure, and many other issues. It is no longer the 1970's and Japanese engineering has taken a hit since that pinnacle in the 1970s. I am not convinced that the Japanese build or design better vehicles.

As much griping as Jeep gets, not one problem has occurred with my wife's '13 JKU and she has had it about 10 months. My '13 Rubi has zero problems as well, even though it's new.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
You do realize toyota and Honda are Japanesse right. I got a pretty good grade when I took geography and if memory serves Japan is "across the pond also" just at a different angle.
Depends on which model and which year he buys. Since 2010 some 95% of Toyotas sold here in the United States are made here on American soil, put together by actual American citizens.

Take the 2nd Gen Toyota Tundra for example. That truck is manufactured AND assembled in San Antonio Texas, whereas the 5.7L powerplant (which I will state up front puts out more power than any 350 class V8 off the assembly line for any manufacturer- 381hp, 401ft lb torque stock) comes from Huntsville Alabama. It's an all American truck. Same goes for the Toyota Camry, the assembly process utilizes more American made components than any vehicle out there right now.

Toyota America is also its own separate entity from Toyota Japan, it's an American company headed up by Americans. Argue and whine all you want, Toyota is just as American as popcorn and movies, or hotdogs and soda.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Depends on which model and which year he buys. Since 2010 some 95% of Toyotas sold here in the United States are made here on American soil, put together by actual American citizens.

Take the 2nd Gen Toyota Tundra for example. That truck is manufactured AND assembled in San Antonio Texas, whereas the 5.7L powerplant (which I will state up front puts out more power than any 350 class V8 off the assembly line for any manufacturer- 381hp, 401ft lb torque stock) comes from Huntsville Alabama. It's an all American truck. Same goes for the Toyota Camry, the assembly process utilizes more American made components than any vehicle out there right now.

Toyota America is also its own separate entity from Toyota Japan, it's an American company headed up by Americans. Argue and whine all you want, Toyota is just as American as popcorn and movies, or hotdogs and soda.
The same has happened for Kia and Hyundai. They both have plants in Alabama and Georgia.

I take parts to those plants almost every week from Los Angeles. The vessel comes in, the union port workers take their sweet *** time being good for nothing lazy asses, then my company's port drivers take it to the warehouse where I take it to the plant halfway across the universe.

Yup!

EDIT: Kia and Hyundai make some really nice cars these days, but I still prefer American cars... Detroit American.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Problem is that you are daily driving an old jeep. My TJ sits in the garage and is a 3rd vehicle. I only drive it on jeep jamborees and hunting. Find yourself a commuter vehicle and reserve the jeep for offroading.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post

Let me first point out that these are foreign cars not domestic. There is a difference between assembled here and made here. I have dissassembled and reassembled my Jeep. But I dont say its made by me. The bigger part of the picture is the profits leave the US. It is supporting a foreign company. You can argue its american all you want and I am sure you will whine and cry about how you are a self proclaimed genius on the subject like you have with other things but the fact remains it is a company ran ultimatly by people outside of the US. The profits do not stay here. It may do more than Audi to support our economy but it is still a foreign company. Dissassemble a toyota or honda and check each part. The large majority will say Made in Japan. Fact remains it is classified as a foreign car and not a domestic car for a reason. Let your know it all drivel now commence. You work for toyota as a lot jockey or something if I remember correctly so I am sure you will defend them to the death as an american comapny. Also here is a source for proof they are not an american company.

Encyclopedia
toyota

city, Aichi ken (prefecture), Honshu, Japan. It lies along the middle reaches of the Yahagi River. It originated as a castle town, with its commercial quarter serving as a collection and distribution centre for silk cocoons. The head office of the Toyota Motor Company was moved to the city from Kariya in 1938, and Toyota subsequently developed rapidly. Particularly after 1955, Toyota built large factories for the production of passenger vehicles and auto parts, using steel from Tokai. Pop. (2005) 412,141.

Learn more about Toyota with a free trial on Britannica.com.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Problem is that you are daily driving an old jeep. My TJ sits in the garage and is a 3rd vehicle. I only drive it on jeep jamborees and hunting. Find yourself a commuter vehicle and reserve the jeep for offroading.
Unfortunately in my situation that won't work. I have only 1 parking spot in my apartment and I just lost my secondary storage area that I'm currently using for my project Chevelle.
As it is I need to find storage space for the vehicles I already have.

For the guys talking about Hondas and Toyotas, have you priced one of those things out recently? They're damned expensive for what you get.
A normal no frills Accord/Civic (2000-2005) around here is selling for 5-7K with over 130K on the odometer.
I do not see how purchasing a vehicle like that could be considered an upgrade. I would lose 4wd, have a vehicle with more miles, a bank loan on top of it all and STILL be running the risk of getting a lemon.

It feels like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.
This $100 investment needs to last 6 months before I need to do anything else to it or it's gone.
Anyone want to buy a low mileage Wrangler? Lots of new parts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.