Old rental car? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Old rental car?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 05-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Old rental car?

So I need a Jeep. Well maybe I don't need a Jeep, but I'm in Hawaii, and it seems like a very good idea. There's an old rental car (and I mean old, it's currently with a second or third tier company), at what seems like a reasonable price. I'll have it checked out by a mechanic, of course, but is this a bad idea? I have very little mechanical ability of my own. Will a 10 year old Wrangler end up costing a me whole lot of money in repair bills? This will mostly be an around town/beach car.

Cheers!

72andsunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've never purchased an old rental car, but I've rented a few cars and i wouldn't want to own the car that I rented. Where I'm from, people don't say "drive it like you stole it." They say "Drive it like you rented it." which isn't quite as cool, but a little more accurate.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
1991YJisLife
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say go for it. Probably gets less abuse as a rental than it would offroading. It's a jeep so there will be repairs no matter what. A wrangler is probably the best vehicle for handling the abuse placed on it during its rental life!
1991YJisLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Acidhouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's definitely worth looking into. Yes, the people who rented it probably didn't treat it like it was their own but more than likely it would have received regular maintenance and wasn't abused off-road.
Red Jeep #231
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It all depends on how good of shape it's in. I wound never, ever, buy any rental car that I drove. I drive fairly spirited. In a rental, the spirit is alive during the entire rental period. Also, keep in mind, you can go off road in a rental wrangler in Hawaii. Ask me how I know.
Unread 05-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidhouse View Post
It's definitely worth looking into. Yes, the people who rented it probably didn't treat it like it was their own but more than likely it would have received regular maintenance and wasn't abused off-road.

Regular maintenance? You mean the bi-annual 50k mile oil change?

It is a Jeep, so it can take whatever was thrown at it but if you are going into this with the impression that it was well cared for and not abused you are sadly mistaken.

I have seen how some people treat their own Jeeps and would buy a rental before those certain Jeeps but well cared for and rental never go hand in hand.
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
Acidhouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike
Regular maintenance? You mean the bi-annual 50k mile oil change? It is a Jeep, so it can take whatever was thrown at it but if you are going into this with the impression that it was well cared for and not abused you are sadly mistaken. I have seen how some people treat their own Jeeps and would buy a rental before those certain Jeeps but well cared for and rental never go hand in hand.
Well I never said well cared for but my guess is that it would have had to have had regular maintenance if for no other reason than lawsuit protection. Most rental companies will at least show some sort of regular maintenance checks in case there is an accident that injures the passengers.
Red Jeep #231
Acidhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

I rented a JKU in Hawaii about a year ago. Now I was nice to mine but I saw several others that were not treated so nice.

With that said.
yes mechanic inspection is a good thing.
Put it on a rack and check the frame. being an island car you dont want it rusted out.
Check it over really good.
If you like the price and it checks out then go for it.

But you will learn a Jeep is something you have to work on. You might want to get some tools and work on those skills. Or take a local class at a HS or something.

If it is a 2nd car then if it has down time it wont be a big issue for you.
Also you did not mention what year or model Jeep it is.
If its a JKU the older 3.8 was not that good. I don't know my self just going by what other people said. I have 3.6 in my JKU and I waited for that to come out.

Give us more details on the Jeep and I am sure others will chime in on the specifics of that year.

Good luck.

PS what island? I loved it over there.
Unread 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

I would never buy a rental. EVER.

However FWIW, I was told some of the rental Jeeps in Hawaii are 2wd to keep people from taking the rentals too far off-road...
444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose it kinda depends on what this used rental car is and how much they want for it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I rented my Jeep in HI; the rules outlawed off road use. Regardless, in a location really far from anyone I knew, getting stuck wasn't something I wanted to do.
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2wd Drive JK interior.

Makes me feel weird.
Unread 05-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
So I need a Jeep. Well maybe I don't need a Jeep, but I'm in Hawaii, and it seems like a very good idea. There's an old rental car (and I mean old, it's currently with a second or third tier company), at what seems like a reasonable price. I'll have it checked out by a mechanic, of course, but is this a bad idea? I have very little mechanical ability of my own. Will a 10 year old Wrangler end up costing a me whole lot of money in repair bills? This will mostly be an around town/beach car.

Cheers!
I'll tell you a story about an experience with a rental car when I was a wee young lad in high school. My dad brought me out to Colorado to see the mountains for a spring break trip. We literally drove about 2000 miles in a week, in a FWD Pontiac Grand Prix rental car. At some point in a big parking lot I asked my dad if he had ever pulled the E-brake on a car going 25mph, or if he had ever put a car in Park while going 25mph. He said no, but we did test each in that parking lot. We also found out the computer wouldn't let you put the transmission in 1st gear when going 75mph, presumably because it would blow the redline. We also got it stuck in about 2 ft of snow on a 4wd trail, and bent a bunch of stuff under the vehicle trying to get it pulled out. After that, we had so much snow/ice packed into the fenderwells, we had to go to a pay-n-spray to get the clean out the fenders to get turning radius back.

Now, that was fraction of the abuse that car received in it's probable 30-40k miles of service to the rental company. Would you buy that car?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.