Ok, Your Honest Opinion: 4x4 Prowess... Who Wins..? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Ok, Your Honest Opinion: 4x4 Prowess... Who Wins..?

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #46
Archerc
2009 JK Wrangler 

Originally posted by Wrong side of the tracks

x2. 33-1 gear ratio, in low lock and in first a milspec H1 puts 10 000lbs of torque PER WHEEL!! to the ground. Its earth shaking. Then you brake modulate with that amount of tourque, it will pull your house of its foundation. Submerge to the top of the window in water, over 16" of ground clearance. Without a doubt all around best off road vehicle ever. Like he said, if you've never driven one off road, don't waste your breath

Archerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #47
Archerc
2009 JK Wrangler 

I smell bull....
Archerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #48
LazySailor
2007 JK Wrangler 

#1 2 door JK rubicon (only because the stock tires are bigger than the tj)
#2 any other jeep rubicon.
#3 the 09 H3 alpha. front and rear lockers, a v8 and 33's stock.
#4 the H1
#5 all the rest can fight it out they all suck.
Unread 04-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #49
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Let's get off the "mil-spec" kick, since it's making an already otherwise pointless thread even more pointless.

And yes, I drove the M998 when I was in the Marines. Also drove the 5-ton, the LAV and a lot of other vehicles, and guess what? Take off the mounted weapons and they are just stripped down, functional trucks. The H1 and the HMMWV are good trucks, and can haul a crapload of gear through some lousy terrain, but they aren't miles ahead of any other truck on that list. And while the H1s share the initial assembly, they are NOT just painted and clear coated versions of the military vehicles. Maybe the pre-2002 ones were closer, but after 02 GM made a bunch of changes, from the engines, to body lifts, gearing, trans, etc. Find me a civilian H1 with the 24v plug on the outside from the showroom. Or the dash throttle for deep water fording. Admittedly I could be wrong, but when I did shop these back a few years, I never saw any of those on the lot. Nor do I recall waiting on glow plugs to warm up on the civvy one.

Not knocking the Humvee or the H1 - they are good trucks. And actually, I am partial to the H3s too - would have gotten an H3 Alpha had it come out sooner, but the gutless 5-cyl kept me on the sidelines until the 4dr JKs came out. And I'm glad I waited. JK FTW!

BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
Unread 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #50
NYCJohn
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerc View Post
Originally posted by Wrong side of the tracks

x2. 33-1 gear ratio, in low lock and in first a milspec H1 puts 10 000lbs of torque PER WHEEL!! to the ground. Its earth shaking. Then you brake modulate with that amount of tourque, it will pull your house of its foundation. Submerge to the top of the window in water, over 16" of ground clearance. Without a doubt all around best off road vehicle ever. Like he said, if you've never driven one off road, don't waste your breath
I think you need to recheck your numbers on this. 10k of torque is not possible buddy. That would mean it has either a diesel from a rig, or a top fuel engine running alcohol. The HP output would be at least a 1000.... Again, no way.
NYCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #51
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoon View Post
x2. 33-1 gear ratio, in low lock and in first a milspec H1 puts 10 000lbs of torque PER WHEEL!! to the ground. Its earth shaking. Then you brake modulate with that amount of tourque, it will pull your house of its foundation. Submerge to the top of the window in water, over 16" of ground clearance. Without a doubt all around best off road vehicle ever. Like he said, if you've never driven one off road, don't waste your breath.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...vee/index.html

read it.

the M1 Abrams only puts out a quarter that, and thats a f-ing gas turbine from a Helicopter

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ank/index.html

read it.

Like NYC John said.... A Top Fuel Dragster/Funny car is a 426ci Hemi bored out to 500 ci with a massive super charger, 2 MSD magnetos, with the compression to turn liquid Nitro into solid form in the combustion chamber.... It is estimated at 8000hp. Know why? They haven't invented a dyno that can test it.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ine/index.html

Don't make ridiculous claims, please.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #52
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
You just made my signature better...thank you.
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #53
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Porsche has done pretty good in the Transsiberia. And supposedly you can buy one.

http://www2.diariomotor.com/imagenes...syberia-01.jpg

Not really my kind of car, but I think they are crediblecontenders.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #54
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy just bought a 71 International Loadmaster, 4x4, dually, crew cab. I know it's wider than most two lane highways, but it would go anywhere offroad. There are a lot of trails Jeeps can't go down because they're too narrow, but this truck would just make it wider.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #55
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

You know, I will be flamed for this, but I found in deep mud, (My own favorite off road fun) Jeeps are not as capable as the K5 Blazers and Full sized Broncos. Maybe this isnt true for all jeeps, but the Cherokee I had HATED deep water. A few times I would be half way through the puddle, loose power, and coast back out. This is, for sure, just my Cherokee, but in all I think you guys underestimate them.

Assuming we are all going to run the same super swampers, big as will fit, and leave everything else stock?

Trails:
Rubicon,
Wrangler,
Random Toyota's,
Cherokee

This category leaves out ALL full size rigs. I will say I would rather take a Porsche through a "Jeep Trail" than my K5.

Deep mud holes?
H1 wins it, since it has factory snorkels, ect. H1 can do through deeper holes stock than any other rig ever in history.
Then I put Blazer/Bronco
Then I put jeeps below this.... But I dont really know. Seems like in deep mud its mostly about tire size and horsepower.....

And since I dont enjoy crawling (I know, Im lame/noobish) I wont venture a guess.
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #56
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the Broncos are nice, powerful, heavy, brutes of a truck. I have always regarded them as a very capable off road vehicle, despite the fact I've never drove one.

I actually saw an older bronco, probably 60s, that was lifted with huge Super Swampers. I was awestruck.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #57
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
x2. 33-1 gear ratio, in low lock and in first a milspec H1 puts 10 000lbs of torque PER WHEEL!! to the ground. Its earth shaking. Then you brake modulate with that amount of tourque, it will pull your house of its foundation. Submerge to the top of the window in water, over 16" of ground clearance. Without a doubt all around best off road vehicle ever. Like he said, if you've never driven one off road, don't waste your breath.
This is an interesting post, that might be true....

He is saying that if you had 10,000lbs of resistance on one tire, the vehicles gearing could overcome it. This is believable, but it would be geared so low you would be doing under 5mph. Also, with that amount of resistance, I think you would break parts prior to the wheel turning....

I mean, think of a bar, coming from the center of the wheel, with 10,000lbs of weight on it. Why is it so hard to imagine the H1 being able to still move? That is 10,000lb pounds of torque the way I understand it.

VERY different from the 8000 horsepower a dragster puts out

EDIT: I guess, since its foot pounds, that would be 10,000lbs, applied one foot from the center of the wheel.
1955 M35A2 6x6
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #58
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Yeah the Broncos are nice, powerful, heavy, brutes of a truck. I have always regarded them as a very capable off road vehicle, despite the fact I've never drove one.

I actually saw an older bronco, probably 60s, that was lifted with huge Super Swampers. I was awestruck.
I have never driven one, but I own a 84 K5 blazer, which is a very similar truck, just without the Ford emblems (My family is very anti ford) and I love the thing! Its perfect for the offroading I like to do, which usually calls for the horsepower and sheer, "I will annihilate you" durability.

However, it can not will not and never could try to compete with my buddy's ZJ in trails. I am too fat, bulky, and it just wont happen. His ZJ doesn't have **** on me in the deep soupy muck though.

We all named him Bruce
1955 M35A2 6x6
Unread 04-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #59
Yellow TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
An military H1 with 37" super swamper mile marker winch front and rear with synthetic rope, kinetic tow straps, no roof, doors, windows ie no armour period, is the most capable off road vehicle going. I know this. Its a fact. I also have an 08 rubicon. They are two different beasts. Ones for civvies, the other is for soldiers who's lives depend on it to get through the mud hole, over the rocks whatever the case. Drop your ego's guys. There is not one event a jeep would beat this H1 in, maybe ergonomics? more cup holders? guys the Jeep rubicon is a beast, no doubt. For the money its amazing. An H1 is a war machine. Its a platform designed to get warriors somewhere come hell or high water to kill people. They will get you there too. An H1 isn't bothered with mud holes or rocks, it needs to get you there with four flat tires and half an engine destroyed. And it will live up to that. Think about that.
I might be wrong here, but isnt there a military speck jk these days, isnt it also a plaform to get warriors come hell or high watter to kill people? As a matter of fact I think the h1 is a one hit wonder from GM as oppesed to almost 70 years of service....if you want to really argue that point. I have seen plenty of trails that you couldnt even dream of getting an h1 through due to width issues...mb if you have on with a 50 cal mounted on it that number might get reduced...but I have never seen a trail too wide for a jk or tj.
Yellow TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #60
bendoon
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerc View Post
HA HA HA You guys are killing me with this crap about mil spec humvees!
The h1 is a pile of crap in my opinion, or at least the ones I have experience with in my time in the Corps were. The 6.2 or 6.5 diesel depending on which year model are nothing more than a converted 350 block. They were undependable and considering their weight had no power. I dont know who it was that said something about having 10,000 pounds of torque to the wheels in 4lo, but come on if you are that ignorant, just dont say anything at all. Maybe some people love them, but in all practicality they were better on road than off road in sand/mud or rocky terrain.

maybe marines don't maintain their vehicles? maybe they are 20 yrs old? brand new 6.5 turbo, 37" super swampers, with no armour. Ie: no roof, no doors, no windsheild=no weight for all you mathamagicians out there. If I had to go from point A to point B and my life depended on it, I'd take an H1 hummers than my 08 Rubicon. I love my Jeep, but its no comaprison folks. If you want I'll take a picture from the manual with the torque numbers so all you brains can do the math as well.
bendoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.