Offroading in Central NJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Offroading in Central NJ

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
luke154
2010 WK 

Offroading in Central NJ

Hey all, Im new to jeeps and live in the monmouth county, NJ area. I just went wheelin yesterday at some trails off of reed road in jackson. just wondering if anybody had some in depth info on these trails like if its legal any maybe any maps or directions on where the trails go. also, i heard of some trails in colliers mills. are these the same trails as the ones on reed road? anybody know of any other trails or directions on how to get to them. just wanna be respectful and not end up on someones property or anything like that. def got the bug and am eager to do some more exploring. any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. the more i try to look it up the more i just get confused as to which trails are which and where u can and cant go. thanks again

luke154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you been to the Pine Barrens? Can't be too far from you considering the size of NJ.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
luke154
2010 WK 

Nope. Havent been there. Dont really have any info or where to look it up. The posts are pretty vague
Unread 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pine Barrens (Wharton) has lots of legal sand roads. Popular spot.

As I remember, New Jersey Jeep Association does a lot of rides down there.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wharton and Colliers mills are legal to drive on the trails that are marked. In colliers mills that basically means any trail that the jeep can fit down, Wharton is slightly more complicated because there are some areas that are closed down to vehicles but can be hiked. The colliers mills reserve is most likely what you accessed from off of reed road, if you look on google maps and use the satellite feature you can see the trails and the trail names in each. I'v been wheelin colliers since I was a kid and seem to never get bored of it, here is a pic from christmas eve wheelin!

Managed to find the only large rock in the area!
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
luke154
2010 WK 

thanks bmxer i really appreciate the info! i was just there the other day for the first time and i could see how you still wouldnt be bored of it. its really close to my house and its nice to know its legal to be in there so i def see myself getting back there sometime soon. is there a station where u could get a trail map or info from that u know of? also, i would really like to get in there someday with someone who really knows the area so i can learn the basics. my son is almost old enoughto ride with me and i think it would be cool for us to start goin down there and it would be nice to know my way around.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My grand daughter got her first ride through there when she was about 18 months old. I got some pictures of the happiest kid you could imagine.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
ChefsSVX
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know this is an older thread, but the trails around there, are they for more modified rigs or can stockers hit the trails there as well? I'm down near Exit 63 so I am not that far off of there.
ChefsSVX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefsSVX View Post
I know this is an older thread, but the trails around there, are they for more modified rigs or can stockers hit the trails there as well? I'm down near Exit 63 so I am not that far off of there.
Wharton is more like primitive sand roads rather than trails, no problem for stock.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
ChefsSVX
2013 JK Wrangler 

I knew that about Wharton, but how about Colliers?
ChefsSVX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
luke154
2010 WK 

Colliers mills has a lot of deep mud puddles that you may need a lift kit and some good tires for. Other than that its mostly narrow dirt roads and some cool hills. Def don't need to be an expert but its certainly not boring. Its a fun place to wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.