Off Roading = Clutch Monster? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Off Roading = Clutch Monster?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
white94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Off Roading = Clutch Monster?

Either i have really bad luck or i am missing some information on how to not break my blutch every time i bring my jeep into the woods. In North jersey i do some mudding and some rock climbing and always seem to mess up my clutch exspecially in the water/mud. Anyone have some tips that are important to not messing up my clutch??

white94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean mess it up?

Do you slip the clutch alot because if you do try 4 low it will let the Jeep go slower with out stalling. You could also get better gears but should not have a problem with the 4.10's you have on 33's.

If you drive through deep water keep the clutch engaged, you can start a Jeep in 4 low (or 2wd on flat pavement) in 1st gear with out pushing in the clutch just do not touch the brake when you start it. I guess this stops water and mud from getting on the clutch. If you drive fast maybe try slowing down for the puddles (I know not as much fun) this helps water from getting on parts that really should not get to wet (like clutch or battery)
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Avoid pushing the clutch in while it's submerged in water/mud... Pick a gear before you enter the water and stick to it throughout!
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
white94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

okay, and well i always have to get it replaced every time i go off roading, which sucks, alot of $$ that could be going to progressing my jeep. and ya i always drive slow off roading, so i dont break stuff, and i try to not use the clutch while submerged but i feel like 1st gear doesnt give me enough to get through some mud and i need second
Unread 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're kidding right? 4 low = gear reduction = no need to hardly touch the clutch. Don't depress when in deep water. That's it. Clutch doesn't care what else you do unless you suck at driving a manual, which may be the case.

Quit being a dumb *** and learn how to drive.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
white94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sorry im not perfect buddy, was simply lookin for some insight, clearly im new to offroading seeing as im asking the question. Dam, get over yourself
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
Avoid pushing the clutch in while it's submerged in water/mud... Pick a gear before you enter the water and stick to it throughout!
x2 I like 2nd in 4low through most water & mud holes.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
robman8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You're kidding right? 4 low = gear reduction = no need to hardly touch the clutch. Don't depress when in deep water. That's it. Clutch doesn't care what else you do unless you suck at driving a manual, which may be the case.

Quit being a dumb *** and learn how to drive.
wow that was harsh, who pissed in your cereal.
robman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
white94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok cool, thanks bud, appreciate it
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white94YJ View Post
sorry im not perfect buddy, was simply lookin for some insight, clearly im new to offroading seeing as im asking the question. Dam, get over yourself
Imped doesn't like people from New Jersey

How often do you use 4Lo?
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Mudmouse990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i learned the hard way about deep water i filled my tranny with water after i had to stop in a hole. I thought it was the clutch but its my syncros about to die
[B]90 yj 2.5l or pure power,thrush turbo, gutted cat, RC 4in lift,1" boom shackles, 33" BFG A/T's, outlaw alum rims,Rhino lined interior,overhead lights,connex 3300 cb, Homemade disco's, no rear trackbar
future mods- diamond plate rocker gaurds, fold down bus steps,home made front and rear bumpers , tube fenders, paint my doors red,possibly a winch, 302 ford or a 350 chevy, ford 8.8, cv style shaft and much more [/B]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]
Check out my build thread[/SIZE][/COLOR] [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90yj-getting-there-1155268/[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]My Home made Quick Disconnects Write up [/COLOR][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/[/URL]
Mudmouse990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There was a bit of a learning curve for me to figure all the gears and ranges out. When I first started off roading, I used to stay in 4hi and try to navigate obstacles. The only thing that did was burn my clutch. I soon figured out its better to stay in 4lo the entire time (with my gearing and tire size). I use 5th or 6th to keep in line on the trails and 2nd or 3rd to go over or through obstacles. I havent found one yet that required 1st, Im sure its only a matter of time though.

The way you operate the clutch on road and off road is waaaaaay different. On road we all have a tendency to use the clutch for almost everything. Off road its not as neccessary. Keep in mind: go slow and your Jeep, by nature, doesnt like to stall. If youre in the right gear going over an obstacle, you might just need a bit more gas, it wont lunge forward. If youre going down a steep incline, let the engine do some of the braking for you. Again, it more than likely wont stall. Since Ive learned to use 4lo properly, I have yet to stall. Even my wife, who is new to driving a stick and very nervous off road, has yet to stall.

Bottom line, you dont need to use your clutch as much as you think you do.
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #13
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Easy killer, some of us are slow.
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
white94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

alright, thanks everybody, i guess it will take a little while to figure things out and get comfortable with all the gears and stuff.

appreciate it!
Unread 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
Luv-My-TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another trick I use is, if needed, is to start the Jeep in second gear/4Lo if it stalls on water/muddy obstacles. That way you do not need to disengage the clutch from the flywheel letting it get wet/dirty. You will need to switch the plug on the drivers side kick panel on a TJ for this to happen as it will override the clutch pedal safety switch. Replace the plug when on the street to avoid an accidental take off.
"I'm a TJ owner, I dont go waving like a retard who lost his helmet everytime i see a jeep. If you like to wave so be it, I have better things to do like running over boxes of puppies while driving drunk and texting from the other side of the highway." - KKiowaTJ
Luv-My-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.