Off road trails near Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, TN - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Off road trails near Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, TN

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
jhughd
2009 JK Wrangler 

Off road trails near Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, TN

Headed to east TN in Oct and would like to do some trail riding. Can somebody give me some info on some good trails. Not looking for extreme, my wife will be with me.

Thanks heaps,

JD

jhughd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

There are a couple of nature trails to ride (that I know of), one is near downtown G'burg and one is leading out of Cade's Cove, but neither are off road trails. The one near downtown is a narrow paved road that takes about an hour or so and has some great views and snakes through the woods and goes near some old homesteads (pretty cool). The other is Rich Mountain road and goes to Townsend. I have never driven it, but I hear it is just a gravel road; great views and wildlife though.

I would love to know of some more stuff around there. My wife and I are there at least once a year and it would be awesome to get some wheeling in while there.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
QuickSilverCon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Windrock Offroad Park.

It is about an hour and fifteen minutes from Pigeon Forge. It is on the other side of Knoxville. Head west on 40 to Oakridge and follow the main street in Oakridge until you hit the Windrock turnoff.

Sand mines/royal blue is northwest from Pigeon forge...prolly 30 or 45 minutes. very nice scenic place.

pics of all the trails can be seen here Trail Rides
QuickSilverCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The road to Cataloochee is nice. Very tight and narrow up the mountain. Not a 'Jeep' trail in the sense that I did travel it with an RV, but a nice ride.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
jmat1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilverCon View Post
Windrock Offroad Park.

It is about an hour and fifteen minutes from Pigeon Forge. It is on the other side of Knoxville. Head west on 40 to Oakridge and follow the main street in Oakridge until you hit the Windrock turnoff.

Sand mines/royal blue is northwest from Pigeon forge...prolly 30 or 45 minutes. very nice scenic place.

pics of all the trails can be seen here Trail Rides
Can you direct me to the Sand Mines/Royal Blue, or any other trails in that area for that matter...Im going down to that area next week and looking for some trails...

Thanks
-J
jmat1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat1980 View Post
Can you direct me to the Sand Mines/Royal Blue, or any other trails in that area for that matter...Im going down to that area next week and looking for some trails...

Thanks
-J
I guess not
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd also like to know what is in that area. I went to Colorado last year. This year I'd like to see the Appalachians with my Jeep.
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry i dont have any jeep trail recommendations, but here is my trip review. If you can, stay at gattlingburg and not pigeon forge. Ton of cool mountain homes with great views for rent. Pigeon forge is okay for a day, but it is very touristy. Cade's cove is a neat area also, basically an old settlement in the mountains, worth the drive, but not jeep worthy. Black bear were all over the place. Would also recommend rafting, we used Rafting In the Smokies.

Sorry didn't realize this post was from years ago!
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I'd also like to know what is in that area. I went to Colorado last year. This year I'd like to see the Appalachians with my Jeep.
Royal Blue is around 30-40 miles from Windrock from what I remember just north of Lake City. It's good for a day trip on the hard side of the mountain (off camber, rocks, amazing sandstone and the top is like a white beach where they used to mine the sandstone. The link below should get you close. Where I enter in is saved on my GPS though. It's not a multi-day place to wheel though.

http://ironjeep.com/royal-blue-wma.html

If you're hitting up Windrock, Oak Ridge is the place to stay and you can spend days there.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Chris, thanks for the tip.
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301
Sorry i dont have any jeep trail recommendations, but here is my trip review. If you can, stay at gattlingburg and not pigeon forge. Ton of cool mountain homes with great views for rent. Pigeon forge is okay for a day, but it is very touristy. Cade's cove is a neat area also, basically an old settlement in the mountains, worth the drive, but not jeep worthy. Black bear were all over the place. Would also recommend rafting, we used Rafting In the Smokies.

Sorry didn't realize this post was from years ago!
Don't be sorry! I love digging up old threads.
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
kibobby83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Glad I found this thread..I'm here now and brought the jeep..time to see what I can find ..
kibobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
JOHNO
2010 JK Wrangler 

About an hour and a half West of Gatlinburg, in Tellico, there is a great Jeep trail on the Tennessee/North Carolina Border.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.