JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Obsession: "HEY! Use the search button" (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/obsession-hey-use-search-button-686766/)

Baggot 02-04-2009 12:03 PM

Obsession: "HEY! Use the search button"

Why does everyone insist on posting

"Use search"
"hey great question use the search function"
"So - to be serious. Please use the search button."
"Already done!! Use the search button"

(Ironically i used the search function to get these)

I always assume that people use the search function (to some extent) to research the problem or question but i know a few don't. I have been told to search even after i read 10 full threads from the search first before my question.

Why does it matter to people so much if the same question is posted more than once? Every post on this site is about the same type of jeep why isnt every question already answered and this site can be turned into a data base not a forum? THe answer is its a forum! everyone has variables and insights that sometimes need to be addressed specifically. Also, some new people troll only the first few pages might find out about an old topic.

I understand that some people sign up to ask one question like: "is there a way to put 33's on my jeep?" and they just want an answer without having to do any work... this is annoying but some people like replying so let them.

If you think you are a hero by pointing out that you know of the topic already post the link or something dont declare "Use the search button".

What do you think? am I being unrealistic?

2005X 02-04-2009 12:13 PM

i think the problem arises when people start posting the same question over and over like
CAI
BB AND 33s
EXHAUST
the problem is there are alot of threads on the very subject, many times they are only a couple post apart, personally i dont care, if there is another thread on the same subject with good info then i will post the link. i have also found that if someone doesnt get the answer they like then they will post the question again hoping to get what they want to hear, such as gaining HP,torque,mpg after installing a CAI.

p-rev 02-04-2009 12:52 PM

search this has already been covered... just kidding but it does get annoying when people constantly ask what kind of rear axle do i have? what tranny do i have? what does sahara mean? when they could find all that kind of stuff in the stickies at the top of the page.

igofshn 02-04-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

am I being unrealistic?
Yes you are. The search can be a wonderfull thing. Most do not use it. Most do not even look at the FAQ that is located in some of the sections. A lot of the questions are answered there.

beneharris 02-04-2009 01:01 PM

ya i think some people just aren't computer savvy enough to use the search, or think about using it

p-rev 02-04-2009 01:04 PM

i do like playing the repost game though

Rob99 02-04-2009 01:19 PM

There are already several threads complaining about this same topic! Next time use the search function before posting a new thread!!! ;)

Strizzy 02-04-2009 01:31 PM

http://jeepforum.com/forum/search.php

Tony89 02-04-2009 01:39 PM

my question is instead of being a **** and posting "use the search" why don't YOU do a search and post a link to a relevant thread?

i'll tell you right now why you won't do that. for the same reason i get pissed off when i DO use the search: you end up with 4 ****ing pages of search results for the same question with nothing but "use the search" and stupid *** REPOST games. hopefully some moderator or admin sees this post and finds a way to remedy this problem. for the record: if it weren't for the FAQ's threads in the tech sections i would not have learned a DAMN THING on jeepforum

patricknolan 02-04-2009 02:02 PM

People say search this or that because there will always be newer members who do not understand they should just search. Unfortunately people will always have to say this.

Now, some people tell me to search. And mind you, I search for hours because my job has tones of downtime. Im so involved in one question I search and search and search. When someone tells me to search it infuriates me!! How dare they! lol.

igofshn 02-04-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

hopefully some moderator or admin sees this post and finds a way to remedy this problem
Any suggestions????

Tony89 02-05-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igofshn (Post 6505179)
Any suggestions????

For one make people quit doing the stupid REPOST game. At least then when I search and see a thread title that's relevant with 7+ replies I won't think "This thread has a few replies, there should be some information in it." only to open it up and find that stupid game. This isn't my first internet forum, and I AM smart enough to use the search first. I'm also smart enough to know when searching and you see 10-12 threads asking the same question with no reply that its probably been covered a thousand times and I just need to find one of the threads that has information in it. But that stupid game makes it even harder. Now instead of searching through 3 pages of threads with no reply, I search through 3 pages of threads with 7-10 replies, all of which are big, red R-E-P-O-S-T.

buickgnx88 02-05-2009 08:46 AM

This is Really interesting! :teehee:

Turner 02-05-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony89 (Post 6504428)
my question is instead of being a **** and posting "use the search" why don't YOU do a search and post a link to a relevant thread?
i'll tell you right now why you won't do that. for the same reason i get pissed off when i DO use the search: you end up with 4 ****ing pages of search results for the same question with nothing but "use the search" and stupid *** REPOST games. hopefully some moderator or admin sees this post and finds a way to remedy this problem. for the record: if it weren't for the FAQ's threads in the tech sections i would not have learned a DAMN THING on jeepforum

You would be the one neEding the info not us. Why should we care if you don't? makes it appear as if you really don't care then we would be wasting our time..... Its only 4 pages. Read through it you may learn something more than what you were expecting.

Jason D 02-05-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strizzy123 (Post 6504369)

OK, I feel like an idiot asking this, but is there a link somewhere to THAT specific search page? When I click on the "Search" button all I get is that useless Google search which searches the entire site.

The time now is 08:54 AM.