NYC Jeep Club Deploys to Ground Zero at Breezy Point for Hurricane Relief - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > NYC Jeep Club Deploys to Ground Zero at Breezy Point for Hurricane Relief

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

NYC Jeep Club Deploys to Ground Zero at Breezy Point for Hurricane Relief

So today my club made a call out to members to deploy out to Rockaway Parks and Breezy Point to help aid with the Hurricane Relief. Only vehicles able to pass through the flooded roads and numerous sinkholes were allowed in. We volunteered and help prepare the church as an aid station, and proceded to help tow cars that were stranded on the streets, pull porches and decks that were moved onto peoples property (or what was left) and move them out of the way so cleanup could go easier, and help whoever needed help clearing the remains of their once so called homes

Its truly heartbreaking and so sad to see all of this, as it is only 1 hour away from where I live. I truly lucked out and am so grateful for it. Almost all of these homes are deemed uninhabitable by local authorities. Everyone here had lost everything they owned, most of them with what they evacuated with and the clothes on their back. Areas such as this are not expected to recover for at least 6 months

Donations and any aid are openly welcome and much appreciated to the victims affected heavily by Hurricane Sandy

A quote from one of the habitants of the area that we helped out.

Me - "So you guys live here?"

Him - "Used to..."

Here is the album http://imgur.com/a/sHt9r

Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
herklord
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good for you guys, go jeeps go!
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
stevemoores
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heartbreaking pictures, it's as if this story has dropped off the news radar already.

Thanks for posting them.

A big thumbs-up from Western Canada.
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

So, having been boots-on-the-ground, can you give any insight as to what's really in need and how to get it there? I know "send money to the red cross" is the standard thing, and that's well and good (and I've done that)... but amongst the people you coordinated with to get in and the people you worked with on the ground, did you learn of any more direct approach for underserved areas?

Having too many people in the way or ending up with three trailerloads of canned hash isn't where we'd want to go.

thanks for your help..
...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf View Post
So, having been boots-on-the-ground, can you give any insight as to what's really in need and how to get it there? I know "send money to the red cross" is the standard thing, and that's well and good (and I've done that)... but amongst the people you coordinated with to get in and the people you worked with on the ground, did you learn of any more direct approach for underserved areas?

Having too many people in the way or ending up with three trailerloads of canned hash isn't where we'd want to go.

thanks for your help..
...tom
They really really need DRY firewood. There was 2 uhauls brought in filled with wood, but it was all wet sadly. Food, and warm winter clothes and blankets and sleeping bags also. Alot of people are also without a decent pair of boots now. Ultimately... these families need another home or some form of shelter to stay in

If you got a truck or rig they will let you into the disaster area. Just take the Belt parkway until you hit the Rockaway Park parkway and go south on that. Sadly they are still charging every vehicle $3.25 to use the bridge, and charging both ways

However if you want to bring your club down, you need to get in contact with the FDNY to receive approval. They also have plenty of tankers there for you to fuel up on your way out or in
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
xjandyj

keep us updated (grew up in queens)
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
LKLOAD
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome job, Glad to see your club getting involved instead of watching things on T.V. like most.
LKLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's crazy, it was a year ago my club hit then up out there. Alot of good guys from NYC jeep club put in some time helping out. We're always here to help

Sent from the jeep cause my owner is drunk again
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.