NP 231 Seal tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > NP 231 Seal tips

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

NP 231 Seal tips

after rebuilding my TC both front and rear output seals are leaking. The rear seal that was installed by terraflex is leaking, and the front seal installed by me is leaking a lot. Got two new seals to put in. Any tips so I dont end up with more leaky seals.

They both leaked as soon as I took it for a test drive...

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure the yokes don't have a groove worn in them from the old seals, be careful not to knick the new seals, and smear a good generous dab of general purpose grease on the lip of the new seals to lube them up before inserting the yokes during reassembly.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

10-4 on that.
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a very fine grade of scotch-brite that is used by mechanics (also painters, I got it at home depot) which does a very nice job of cleaning up sealing surfaces.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I use a dab or rtv which usually helps. Don't want to do it a second or third time.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the suggestion of using RTV behind the seals is a good idea. If you watch the Advance Adapters SYE install video on YouTube, they use RTV on both output shafts.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This jack wagon didn't read the instructions for terafelx completely. They state in the instructions to use silicon on the splines when putting the rear output yoke on.... Im starting to think my seal wasn't bad, just me being in a hurry and skipping that step in the instructions..

Used RTV on the rear yoke, used a little grease and trans fluid on the seal and yokes when sliding them in and no leaks!

Now if I could only get my clutch/trans working right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.