To be or not to be, that is the question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > To be or not to be, that is the question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
gunnersmateguns
2000 XJ Cherokee 

To be or not to be, that is the question

I currently own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It is an occasional driver for me (usually weekend errands and sometimes I use it for commuting during the week), but not my primary driver (that is a 2011 Hyundai Elantra sedan for the gas mileage, and my Cherokee usually develops a new leak or a part that needs to be replaced if I drive it too often/too far). I now have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It has 70,000 miles on it, both tops, new tires, no rust and other issues, it is one really clean Jeep, and the $20,000.00 price is right too. My question is for someone that commutes 300 to 450 miles a week to and from work (this can go up when I am in school because I have to drive to work then 35 miles past my home to school in the evenings or 50 miles to school on the weekends (different campus) is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited a good idea as a commuter vehicle? I would be trading in the Hyundai for the Jeep (wifeís orders, citing that I already have too many vehicles). I canít say that harsh winter weather and loads of snow are a reason to get the Jeep. We have had more snow here (Ohio) this winter than we have had in the past 4 or 5 years, so it really isnít necessary to have a 4X4 to get around. I am thinking about fuel and repair costs primarily. Also would any of you purchase a warranty if you purchased a used Jeep? I mean I love my Cherokee, and would drive it more often as a daily driver if it didnít guzzle gas, spring new leaks, and have parts that need replaced monthly (different parts usually). I think that it is comfortable on the highway, and around town, it also has been outstanding when I have had to drive through shin deep mud and water at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after it rained during a race or getting to and from remote fishing/hunting locations, it can just be expensive to operate as a daily driver. What are your thoughts about this, I like the Wrangler, but donít want to screw this up and have to listen to ďI told you soĒ, or ďItís all your fault the _______ didnít get paid/fixed, because your Jeep costs so much.Ē, and it needs to be a lot more reliable than my Cherokee. I look forward to hearing what you guys think.
Thank you
Mike

gunnersmateguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

While I like my 08 JKU, the engine sucked. I drove it back and forth to Florida once and I absolutely hated it. Driving around town was fine, but the highway was horrible. I'd keep your elantra, IMO.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I love mine, and though I love the way it drives on the freeway, it would be one of the very last vehicles I would consider for a long distance commuter, period.

Best case ever your going to get maybe 20 mpg, but figure closer to 18.

Again, many things to love, but commuter mileage still ain't one

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
gunnersmateguns
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you both, I appreciate your straight forward honest opinion.
Mike
gunnersmateguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Adam013085

As much driving as you do, I would keep the elantra, sell the cherokee and pick up a TJ or YJ if you want a Jeep. The price on the 08 is a pretty decent price but not a GREAT deal. Others will come around.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
bobjp

Why spend $20,000 on a vehicle just to rack up 400 miles a week on it? Especially one that gets bad gas mileage.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.