noobie with flat towing questions/capabilities - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > noobie with flat towing questions/capabilities

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
crappyfisherman

noobie with flat towing questions/capabilities

Okay folks...first off HELLO!

I am NOT a current Jeep owner but we're selling our 4x4 Excursion since we're also selling our travel trailer that vehicle was purchased to tow...since I really don't need a vehicle that size for everyday commuting...and since we're thinking about getting into a diesel pusher motorhome...I need a vehicle that can be flat towed behind a motorhome.

I called the local Dodge/Chrysler dealership and they claim "ALL" Jeep Wranglers are flat towable even those with automatic transmissions.

I checked a copy of the 2012 Dinghy tow guide and it seems that at least the 2012's are flat towable with either Auto or Man trans...

I am contemplating a 4dr 4WD Wrangler Unlimited as our dinghy...does anyone know if "ALL" means "ALL" years for these regardless of auto or man trans?

Oh yeah...if anyone has flat towed one of these...are there any tricks to it like pat your head, rub your belly, shift to park then neutral and start the motor for 3 minutes while rubbing your head and then shut it off and remove fuse umpdesquat...I've seen some pretty crazy sequences to make a vehicle "flat towable"...I'm not sure if the Jeeps are just hitch and go.

THANKS for the responses in advance.

joe.

crappyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Dan_NTX
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not have first hand experience...but the manual says the following:

Flat Towing a Jeep® Wrangler
According to the Jeep manual:
When towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for recreational towing -- such as behind a motorhome -- you must tow with*four wheels down*(as opposed to using a tow dolly), because...
"Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing!"
How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
Key must be in the "accessory" position......

Depress and hold* the brake pedal.
Set Parking Brake
Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
Start the engine.
Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
Apply the parking brake.
Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
Release the parking brake.
Note: Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!

Note: Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on the Jeep Wrangler or Wrangler Unlmited JK. The bumper face bar will be damaged.
Dan_NTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ALL Jeep Wranglers can be flat towed, from 1987-2012.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transfercase in neutral. Transmission in park or 5th. If its 86 - 95 disconnect the front driveshaft.(not the rear ever it pumps oil through the transfercase) hitch it up and go. Simple as that.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Transfercase in neutral. Transmission in park or 5th. If its 86 - 95 disconnect the front driveshaft.(not the rear ever it pumps oil through the transfercase) hitch it up and go. Simple as that.

But... Wouldn't the transfercase not be turning anyways.. Considering the driveshaft isn't connected..?

And even if the rear was disconnected, wouldn't the front driveshaft be turning the transfercase, considering the drive chain links the front and rear outputs together...??

So...??
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress

But... Wouldn't the transfercase not be turning anyways.. Considering the driveshaft isn't connected..?

And even if the rear was disconnected, wouldn't the front driveshaft be turning the transfercase, considering the drive chain links the front and rear outputs together...??

So...??
This is what I was taught and what the guru's say so I listen. The pump may be driven in a weird way. I don't know. I know the way I stated works and seems to be the preferred method so that's the info I pass on. Are there other ways probably but I haven't done it that way so I don't put them out there since I don't have experience with them. Others that have experience can.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress

So...??
This is what I was taught and what the guru's say so I listen. The pump may be driven in a weird way. I don't know. I know the way I stated works and seems to be the preferred method so that's the info I pass on. Are there other ways probably but I haven't done it that way so I don't put them out there since I don't have experience with them. Others that have experience with other methods can recommend their method.

Unread 08-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
crappyfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NTX View Post
I do not have first hand experience...but the manual says the following:

Flat Towing a Jeep® Wrangler
According to the Jeep manual:
When towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for recreational towing -- such as behind a motorhome -- you must tow with*four wheels down*(as opposed to using a tow dolly), because...
"Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing!"
How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
Key must be in the "accessory" position......

Depress and hold* the brake pedal.
Set Parking Brake
Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
Start the engine.
Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
Apply the parking brake.
Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
Release the parking brake.
Note: Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!

Note: Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on the Jeep Wrangler or Wrangler Unlmited JK. The bumper face bar will be damaged.
THANKS Dan...that is exactly what I was looking for...

Now I just need to sell my Ford Excursion and start my search for a 2012 4dr Wrangler!
Unread 08-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
JeepCares

You can access 2004-2012 Wrangler Owner Manuals here.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
jcgribks
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's easy to tow a Wrangler. Mines a 2006 TJ w/ automatic. Just hook it up, start the engine, shift the transmission into neutral and then shift the transfer case into neutral. I then put my transmission into drive and rev up the engine a little to make sure the transfer case is in neutral, then I shut the engine off BEFORE I shift the transmission into park. I then pull the key out and put it back in to make sure I only turn to the first click and not in the on position.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
crappyfisherman

Well...we bought a Jeep but a 2012 Liberty 4WD...

I just couldn't see dealing with the manual locks on the Wrangler with our kiddo's and friends...so...we went Liberty Sport as I was only interested in spending very low $20's for the vehicle...the 2012 Liberties are coming with $4K in rebates right now...so it made sense to go new over a used Wrangler...

The only issue I had with the Liberty was the fuel economy out of the 3.7L engine and 4 speed trans...but...this is not our primary vehicle and it will see minimal miles and be towed behind the coach...the new Liberties I know will have the smaller 3.2L Pentastar motor and supposedly a 9 speed trans?...not sure when that is coming out...but I'm always opposed to buying the first year of any model year with MAJOR changes like the driveline...call me paranoid and this vehicle for us will be a long term vehicle behind the coach...since setting it up with the hitch for flat towing and wiring/etc is about an $800 deal...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're Jeep owners...but not a Wrangler...we went with the Liberty.

Joe.
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappyfisherman View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that we're Jeep owners...but not a Wrangler...we went with the Liberty.
A Liberty is just a fancy looking box with a Jeep logo on it
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
crappyfisherman

LOL...that's okay...I'm not interested in serious rock crawling or off-roading...when I was in Moab I didn't even leave the pavement!
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I rented a Liberty recently. While not a fan of them before, I was pleasantly suprised by how comfortable they were. Drove like my old XJ.

What did you mean by "manual locks"?
Unread 08-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
crappyfisherman

Manual locks as in how you lock the doors...the Wrangler Unlimited's we looked at all had manual crank windows and manual door locks...

We were not looking at Sahara's or Rubicon's...but I'm told some Unlimiteds do have power windows and locks...I guess the used ones we were looking at did NOT have power locks...that was a huge turn off for us with a family of 4 and 4 doors to worry about opening and locking every time!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.