Noob Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Noob Questions

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Noob Questions

1: I'm not sure on how to properly park a manual transmission. It seems to me that leaving it neutral with the parking brake on is a bad idea since someone could theoretically roll it away.

I'm not worried about theft as much as vandalism since I work on a college campus - I don't want to find my Jeep at the bottom of the parking ramp one day.

2: Suggestions for cleaning/maintaining exterior plastics/soft top/plastic windows? I can stand there in the aisle at the store and see 500 products that claim to work - I'd rather learn from ya'lls experience with these things.

3: When I cruise down the highway in 6th gear (70MPH) I'm at ~3,000 RPMs. Is that okay or would taking a 6hr. drive at 3,000 RPMs be a bad thing?

4: Recommendations for first oil change. I'm at 350 miles right now.

I'm really pleased that I got a Jeep and I want to take good care of it.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these questions.

MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

1) leave it in 1st or reverse. Parking brake as a backup

3) I don't like it either, but it's fine
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

When parking, apply the parking brake, put trans in neutral, let the brake hold the vehicle, then put trans in 1st.

Bestop makes a very good plastic window cleaner and since they make Jeep's soft top .......

Not sure on #3

I change my oil every 5k miles. Today's oils don't need to be changed every 3k.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

1. Put in first if parking with an incline, reverse if parking on a decline, parking brake always!

2. I use 303 protectorant on my top and windows. To polish up clear windows I used mothers plastic polish ($7) and it works fine using elbow grease.

3. You are ok

4. You just killed some kittens by mentioning oil change. Just kidding, change as often as you want.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
dadkinsemt
Lost

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well number 1 seems to be answered. 2 I would go with best top stuff. 3 it is the 3.7 so it is ment to run a little higher rpms than the old 4.0. And number 3 I would change it at about 1000 miles the first time just because it is a new engine and little shaving may come off as it breaks in. After that change it every 4000 to 5000 miles and check it every 1000 to make sure it is still full and looks good.

Congrats on the new jeep
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.