No Wrangler Pentastar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > No Wrangler Pentastar?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
ARTSBEST

No Wrangler Pentastar?

In the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the all-new 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine will deliver 280 horsepower (209 kW) at 6,400 rpm and 260 lb.-ft. (353 N*m) of torque at 4,800 rpm -- an increase of 33 percent in horsepower and 11 percent in torque over its predecessor -- while providing an 11 percent fuel economy improvement.

"The all-new Pentastar is the most advanced six-cylinder engine Chrysler has ever offered," said Bob Lee, Vice President - Powertrain Product Team.

The new Pentastar V6 also will contribute a 2 mpg increase to Chrysler's CAFE by 2015, resulting in fewer greenhouse gas emissions and a reduction in oil dependence.

Customers Benefit: Fuel Efficiency, Refinement, Quality, Low Cost of Ownership

Chrysler's all-new 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine design features a double-overhead cam (DOHC), narrow included valve angle, cylinder head and high-flow intake and exhaust ports. This design, combined with dual independent cam phasing, allows optimum volumetric and combustion efficiency over the full speed and load range, resulting in an exceptional, flat torque curve along with high specific power -- the engine's torque exceeds 90 percent of its peak value from 1,600 to 6,400 rpm -- which will provide customers with outstanding drivability and responsiveness, without the need for premium fuel.

ARTSBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
-Zona-

Screw 'em, we should get our hands on a 4cyl turbo-diesel anyways (hopefully) with the Fiat deal.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

cool, guess i'll get one for the wifey then, in a wrangler of course.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
TNJeepMan

By the "No Wrangler Pentastar" title I'm not sure if your implying the Wrangler will not get this motor. They haven't officially announced it, but I'm pretty sure that this new lineup of V6 motors will replace the old ones across the entire line. Look for the new motor in the Wrangler in 2011 or soon thereafter.
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

this must be the "phoenix" line of engines that they've been developing for the last couple years.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
The new Pentastar V6 also will contribute a 2 mpg increase to Chrysler's CAFE by 2015, resulting in fewer greenhouse gas emissions and a reduction in oil dependence.
That sentence to me implies that by 2015 they expect a high percentage of their vehicles ot be using that engine, so the logical assumption is that the Wrangler would be one of them.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
TNJeepMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
this must be the "phoenix" line of engines that they've been developing for the last couple years.
Correct. Same thing.
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I expect that engine to wind up in the Wrangler fairly fast, esp. if things keep cooking along for Chrysler...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am (lightheartedly) intrgued by this discussion. Jeep designers apparently are torn between two groups of Wrangler loyalist: Those who want to bring back a profoundly anachronistic pushrod 6 developed in the early 60s and those who are upset because the "latest and greatest" rad tech toy has not been announced for Wrangler.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I am (lightheartedly) intrgued by this discussion. Jeep designers apparently are torn between two groups of Wrangler loyalist: Those who want to bring back a profoundly anachronistic pushrod 6 developed in the early 60s and those who are upset because the "latest and greatest" rad tech toy has not been announced for Wrangler.
well, I am perfectly happy with my minivan engine, but many would like more power...and this would provide it and better fuel economy....

I am also a huge fan of the old straight six, but I fear that ship has sailed, and this looks like an improvement...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
In the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the all-new 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine will deliver 280 horsepower (209 kW) at 6,400 rpm and 260 lb.-ft. (353 N*m) of torque at 4,800 rpm -- an increase of 33 percent in horsepower and 11 percent in torque over its predecessor -- while providing an 11 percent fuel economy improvement.
I hate when they list numbers like that. 280 HP at 6,400 RPMs. Who the hell runs their vehicles near redline all the time? I want to know what it does in the 2K - 3K range.

Of course, it does go on to say:
Quote:
.........efficiency over the full speed and load range, resulting in an exceptional, flat torque curve along with high specific power -- the engine's torque exceeds 90 percent of its peak value from 1,600 to 6,400 rpm -- which will provide customers with outstanding drivability and responsiveness, without the need for premium fuel.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
TJRubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I personally bought my 06 because i heard they were getting right of that flat tappet pushrod straight 6. Can't screw with 40 something years of proven tech, no whizz bang crap.
Black Jeep Club member #95

Build Thread
1-20-13
Northridge4x4

Getting Astute
TJRubicon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
I hate when they list numbers like that. 280 HP at 6,400 RPMs. Who the hell runs their vehicles near redline all the time? I want to know what it does in the 2K - 3K range.

Of course, it does go on to say:
Sounds good to me, with 90% or greater torque from 1600 to 6400 rpm. Remember that Power = Torque * RPM
Also cool that the motor is all aluminum, I'm a big fan of lightweight components. The Wrangler version may be even better, as Allpar is reporting that it will have direct injection for that application. It's about time Chrysler figured out what all those other manufacturers mean when they refer to VVT and DOHC.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.