NJ State Windshield Laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > NJ State Windshield Laws

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
95GreenWrangler
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 199
NJ State Windshield Laws

So I've tried searching online but haven't found anything has completely answered my question. Does anyone know if there is a definite law in New Jersey stating that you can't drive with your windshield down on the street? I'm looking for something similar to the mirror laws that were posted as a sticky in this forum section. I mean we have done it before, but maybe we just get lucky and don't see any cops. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Courtney

__________________
1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
95GreenWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Ctskip
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 184
From what little I know, I would imagine that operating a motor vehicle on any public road would require some sort of eye protection. Be it a windshield or safety glasses. Just like operating a motorcycle without a windshield.. JMO.
Ctskip
__________________
Wrangler 4 cyl 5 spd WHITE
04 M B CLK convertible
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
Ctskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Brandon_YJ
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 3,696
It wasn't long ago that I was in a discussion on here with others about that very law in that very state.
We were unable to find ANYTHING stating that a windshield must be in place.
I think the guy that spurred the conversation talked to his local police department and found out it was OK to drive with it down... or maybe that was in a different thread about California - I can't recall completely.
However, at 35mph a junebug smashing into your face would be like a marble from a slingshot. Not to mention road debris being kicked up and rocks being tossed by tires... and at higher speed? ugh!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
95GreenWrangler
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
It wasn't long ago that I was in a discussion on here with others about that very law in that very state.
We were unable to find ANYTHING stating that a windshield must be in place.
I think the guy that spurred the conversation talked to his local police department and found out it was OK to drive with it down... or maybe that was in a different thread about California - I can't recall completely.
However, at 35mph a junebug smashing into your face would be like a marble from a slingshot. Not to mention road debris being kicked up and rocks being tossed by tires... and at higher speed? ugh!
Yea that is something I've already dealt with, all the debris from behind the dash once the windshield is folded down. It is best to wear sunglasses when doing that. I was just hoping some information about it might be stated just like those mirror laws are clearly stated.

But as the post before not every motorcycle has a windshield and they are still going to be considered legal. Who knows, it all confuses me.
__________________
1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
95GreenWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
A few questions:

Are you looking to drive like this all the time, or just want to be able to fold it down when you get to say, the beach or trail and figured it would be easier to fold it down for the whole trip??

If your looking to travel faster than 40MPH, I would seriously consider a helmet or at least a good pair of driving goggles.

Honestly, your better off just going down to your local PD and asking about the laws. They would be able to look it up for ya right there.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
95GreenWrangler
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
A few questions:

Are you looking to drive like this all the time, or just want to be able to fold it down when you get to say, the beach or trail and figured it would be easier to fold it down for the whole trip??

If your looking to travel faster than 40MPH, I would seriously consider a helmet or at least a good pair of driving goggles.

Honestly, your better off just going down to your local PD and asking about the laws. They would be able to look it up for ya right there.
Probably nothing like highway driving or anything. Mostly like driving around town or to go to some stores. I wanted to try out the idea because I can, since that is how our windshields are made. I don't know any other vehicle that has the capabilities to do that, so I say why not use it to our benefit.

Going to any store I probably won't being going more that 40mph anyways. I'm just concerned about a ticket more than getting hit the face with anything just yet....
__________________
1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
95GreenWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GreenWrangler View Post
Probably nothing like highway driving or anything. Mostly like driving around town or to go to some stores. I wanted to try out the idea because I can, since that is how our windshields are made. I don't know any other vehicle that has the capabilities to do that, so I say why not use it to our benefit.

Going to any store I probably won't being going more that 40mph anyways. I'm just concerned about a ticket more than getting hit the face with anything just yet....
Yea, the ticket thing is the only thing that holds me up. I have yet to find proof either way in NY if I can do it. That is why I suggested the Leo aproach.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
95GreenWrangler
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Yea, the ticket thing is the only thing that holds me up. I have yet to find proof either way in NY if I can do it. That is why I suggested the Leo aproach.
Hmm Leo approach?? I believe I am unfamiliar with that.
__________________
1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
95GreenWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GreenWrangler View Post
Hmm Leo approach?? I believe I am unfamiliar with that.
Leo = law Enforcement Officer.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
95GreenWrangler
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Leo = law Enforcement Officer.
Oh haha, I've never heard that one. Well let me know if you find anything out, I'm going to keep searching the internet to see if anything helpful comes up.
__________________
1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
95GreenWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose
 
atomicmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 3,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Leo = law Enforcement Officer.
I saw that on another board and was wondering... LOL
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
tazzzdvil
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ilion, NY
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Yea, the ticket thing is the only thing that holds me up. I have yet to find proof either way in NY if I can do it. That is why I suggested the Leo aproach.
Rusty, sorry to put the knife in it, but NY says NO FRIGGIN WAY

NYS VAT Laws
12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.
tazzzdvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzzdvil View Post
Rusty, sorry to put the knife in it, but NY says NO FRIGGIN WAY

NYS VAT Laws
12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.


BAGH, who needs em... Good to know, thanx mate.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
Brandon_YJ
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 3,696
Good god, it looks like that NY code for windshields was written SPECIFICALLY because of Jeeps.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
95GreenWrangler
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzzdvil View Post
Rusty, sorry to put the knife in it, but NY says NO FRIGGIN WAY

NYS VAT Laws
12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.
Well good to know if my Jeep ever ventures out of the state... But where did you get that tazzzdvil?? Maybe they say something about New Jersey too??
__________________
1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
95GreenWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.