new vehicle - how many miles is acceptable? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > new vehicle - how many miles is acceptable?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #46
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

in my point of view, ill probably beat it harder than they ever will at the factory so no biggie to me. id be more pissed about having to wait longer to get my new jeep than anything else.

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #47
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTWO...13GooglePlus10
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
That is a huge dealer policy issue (don't quote me on it, but I think it's also a Federal crime as well). Typically a test drive requires proof of VALID Drivers License as well as VALID Insurance. And a salesman always goes on the test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
So if I go and test drive a new car tomorrow, I'd have to get insurance on it before I take it for a test drive. Even though I cant insure a car I don't own.
The insurance portion is most likely a state-by-state issue, depending how that state determines the relationship between people and their insurance policies. Here in Colorado, I've had to provide a license, but on the dozens of test drives I took last year while LJ shopping, I never had to provide proof of insurance. Your mileage may vary.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #49
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

50 miles is nothing but you ordered a new vehicle, the 50 miles of "TESTING"? would make me demand some discount in the price.
You don't know what kind of abuse they put on it, someone else drove your new car for over an hour.
Both of the new vehicles I ordered had less than 10 miles on them when I signed the papers one had 6 the other 3.
My position would be they rented your Jeep they owe you money!
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #50
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you could just not take delivery and order a different one
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #51
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
50 miles is nothing but you ordered a new vehicle, the 50 miles of "TESTING"? would make me demand some discount in the price.
You don't know what kind of abuse they put on it, someone else drove your new car for over an hour.
Both of the new vehicles I ordered had less than 10 miles on them when I signed the papers one had 6 the other 3.
My position would be they rented your Jeep they owe you money!
What? I highly doubt they're "abusing it". It's called testing, many vehicles go through. The fact that people are whining because a company is taking the time to make sure the vehicle is right is just absurd. And a discount? You've got to kidding me. Here, I'll give you $5, does that make up for those minuscule miles?

Just be happy they're telling you ahead of time instead of it being a surprise.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #52
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Pay him the standard rate per mile as outlined by the IRS. 2012 rate was 55.5 cents per mile. So OP should get a cheque for $27.75
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #53
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I work at a Toyota dealer. Most of the cars roll of the truck with 0 or 1 mile on the odometer, some of them with as many as 7 miles. We then drive them around our lot getting them through service to deflate the tires to a normal PSI and turn off the warning lights on the dash and make the radio work, this is about half a mile of driving. We then drive it to a detail shop that is a mile round trip. From there if it is a truck we get $20 of gas for it from a gas station that is a mile round trip, then it goes on our lot. Once you buy the vehicle we fill it up with gas at the same gas station that is a mile round trip.

So if the car rolled off of the truck with 0 miles on it, it would have 2-3 miles on it by the time it was yours assuming no one test drove it and it did not leave the lot for any reason besides the detail and one gas trip.

We regularly use brand new cars to shuttle employees between our dealership and the detail shop to move cars around. We will sometimes make 10 trips to and from which is 10 miles on the car. People will test drive cars which will add several miles to a car. I once took a brand new Scion to get lunch for the dealership, this added 9 miles to the car, and I am just a lot attendant at the dealership. We will sometimes get dealer trades that are from as far away as 35 miles then we put at least another 2 miles on them, an then put them on the lot as brand new cars. I have seen a brand new Tundra that had close to 300 miles on it, it sat at a dealership and was test drove then dealer traded and test drove and dealer traded, etc..

The factory putting 50 miles on the Jeep for a quality assurance thing is a plus in my eyes.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #54
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gotta love being the porter sometimes. Most of your job is sitting in a car behind the wheel
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #55
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For everyone that doesn't mind having a new car they paid full price for pre-driven. I will personally volunteer to "test" yours for you. I can't tell you how many miles the test will take and I won't tell you what the testing is. But it will be tested. Anything that brakes afterward is purely coincidental and will be covered under your existing warranty.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #56
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
Gotta love being the porter sometimes. Most of your job is sitting in a car behind the wheel
You must not have to do the b***** work I did as a lot attendant. Get the managers lunch and such
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #57
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
You must not have to do the b***** work I did as a lot attendant. Get the managers lunch and such
Oh no I still do that on the weekends
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #58
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I woudn't mind Jeep testing it out. If it was Bob and his buddies that wanted to road test it getting lunch I would be more worried.
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #59
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I work at a Toyota dealer. Most of the cars roll of the truck with 0 or 1 mile on the odometer, some of them with as many as 7 miles. We then drive them around our lot getting them through service to deflate the tires to a normal PSI and turn off the warning lights on the dash and make the radio work, this is about half a mile of driving. We then drive it to a detail shop that is a mile round trip. From there if it is a truck we get $20 of gas for it from a gas station that is a mile round trip, then it goes on our lot. Once you buy the vehicle we fill it up with gas at the same gas station that is a mile round trip.

So if the car rolled off of the truck with 0 miles on it, it would have 2-3 miles on it by the time it was yours assuming no one test drove it and it did not leave the lot for any reason besides the detail and one gas trip.

We regularly use brand new cars to shuttle employees between our dealership and the detail shop to move cars around. We will sometimes make 10 trips to and from which is 10 miles on the car. People will test drive cars which will add several miles to a car. I once took a brand new Scion to get lunch for the dealership, this added 9 miles to the car, and I am just a lot attendant at the dealership. We will sometimes get dealer trades that are from as far away as 35 miles then we put at least another 2 miles on them, an then put them on the lot as brand new cars. I have seen a brand new Tundra that had close to 300 miles on it, it sat at a dealership and was test drove then dealer traded and test drove and dealer traded, etc..

The factory putting 50 miles on the Jeep for a quality assurance thing is a plus in my eyes.
Thats always good lol use the lot cars and shower down on them. Not that you do that but, I know most young porters will. I took my Jeep in for service and the young porter came out like he was going to jam in my Jeep and god knows what else but, I pulled the face plate and watched him park it. It would be a shame for him to live such a short life lmao.
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #60
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lol I can see at the end of this all the Jeep coming in with 10 miles on it, Chrsyler isn't known for their effort in quality control, they probably took it to burger king and back, decided it worked and passed it
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.