new vehicle - how many miles is acceptable? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > new vehicle - how many miles is acceptable?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
That is a huge dealer policy issue (don't quote me on it, but I think it's also a Federal crime as well). Typically a test drive requires proof of VALID Drivers License as well as VALID Insurance. And a salesman always goes on the test drive.
So I can't go buy my first car ever because I don't have insurance I guess.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
You are a forum moderator, and thats your stupid answer? If I wanted a used car I would have bought one. If I wanted one that people had test driven I would have bought one off the lot 4 weeks ago. Now you can kick me off the forum because I have no time for these kinds of stupid answers. So my comment to you is gfys .... u can cry like a little girl now and ban me. Have fun doing it !
Anger issues? My post was meant to be sarcastic, boss. Chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
Wut
My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
none... zero...

there should be ZERO miles or negative miles on the odo when you pick it up on day of delivery...

Now, go away,

and do try and grow up...

and never, NEVER post such an imbecilic question again...

EVER

thank you
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrama View Post
Eugene you sound like a guy who has been working sales too long lol
I'm glad to say I got out of that a long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
NO this is not a first world problem, but I didn't know that only major problems could be posted or discussed, I must have missed that in the Forum guidelines.
How is this not a "first world" problem? Do you really think someone in the Congo would be *****ing that their "new" car had 50 miles on it because the manufacturer wanted to make sure it was 100% perfect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Calm your tits.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
This
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #33
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
So I can't go buy my first car ever because I don't have insurance I guess.
No, picture ID and proof of insurance always required.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

No, picture ID and proof of insurance always required.
So if I go and test drive a new car tomorrow, I'd have to get insurance on it before I take it for a test drive. Even though I cant insure a car I don't own.

Hopefully you don't advise customers this same way.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #35
ncb

Seems like legitimate questions concerning the inspection process. Why the need to get all pissy and fill this thread full of ****? At least the OP didn't start a wave thread or ask if 33s will fit with out a lift.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #36
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlilguy View Post
If you think 50 miles is unacceptable, you need to come down to earth. The lowest mileage vehicle unowned was at 40k AND it had a salvage title. First time I latex eyes in it it was totaled.

Not to be an jerk, but you sound like an ungrateful kid on Christmas. But I also understand the frustration is more than likely not in the miles, but the extra 3-4 weeks until you get your jeep. But as for me, 50 miles isn't crap compared to the piece of mind that some highly paid person at jeep has given my new vehicle a once over and "hopefully" catch any small defects or problems. At this rate, you could have pre-ordered a 2014 and got it a few short months later.

Sent from my couch while drinking a nice cold beer
Not sure why you think I need to come down to earth. I also own an 04 Jeep that I purchased with a salvage title, but I didn't pay $40,000 for it and I knew I was buying a salvaged vehicle. You knew exactly what you were buying, a salvage vehicle with 40,000 miles. So you got exactly what you wanted or were agreeing to purchase.

I ordered a brand new vehicle from the factory, with the expectation that it would have 5 miles or less on it. I looked at the odometer statements for my other 6 vehicles I have that I purchased new, the highest mileage at delivery was 8 miles, 3 of which I put on test driving.

I did not order a vehicle with miles on it, I ordered a new one. As far as being an ungrateful kid on Christmas, how am I being ungrateful ? Because I asked about the miles on a brand new ordered vehicle ? You speak of some highly paid person at Jeep giving my new vehicle the once over. Do you know anything about the inspection, what it consists of ? Jeep states "....Your vehicle will be put through rigorous testing and quality audits before being released...."

No one can tell me what rigorous testing for 3 or 4 weeks will consist of ? Will the engine be run for hours upon end at idle? Will it be put on that machine that vibrates it for hours on end to see if it develops a rattle ? Will any major components be disassembled for inspection and then reassembled. A simple one day post production inspection of the vehicle by a quality control person would not have caused me an ounce of concern. Four (4) weeks of "rigorous testing" I would like to know what that consists of. It makes me think that it is more than a once over by some highly paid guy at Jeep. If this makes me an ungrateful kid in your mind then so be it.

Jeep Customer service states that do not know either, that it should be discussed with the selling dealer. Dealer salesman & management are great people, they don't know either and have calls into Jeep to try and find out.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Seems like legitimate questions concerning the inspection process. Why the need to get all pissy and fill this thread full of ****? At least the OP didn't start a wave thread or ask if 33s will fit with out a lift.

Unread 04-29-2013, 01:54 AM   #38
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

They may mostly be dino miles to who knows
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #39
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep
Man they gonna beat the **** out of it.
Yup they are gonna break it in real good.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #40
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
So if I go and test drive a new car tomorrow, I'd have to get insurance on it before I take it for a test drive. Even though I cant insure a car I don't own.

Hopefully you don't advise customers this same way.
It's to prove you do have a valid license and insurance. No, you don't have insure the dealer car, we have them insured already through the dealer, however, that does not mean you can just freely hop in and rely on the dealers insurance. If an accident occurs where you are at fault (lets be honest, it's a car you are not familiar with yet), how do you think we are supposed to have it repaired? This is where you have to work with your own insurance company and file a claim.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #41
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

just too add a bit of info, a dealer demo is still new until it has 6k miles or has been titled and will be sold as new. thats why salesmen turn them in around ~4k and some sucker thinks they are getting a good deal cause its a demo when its sold a bit above invoice

i dont see anything wrong with the dealer test, but would like to know what it entails
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #42
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was just at the jeep test track, heres a pic I took

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/9fa23d7..._0412_1787.jpg

Enjoy your new jeep!!

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #43
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
It's to prove you do have a valid license and insurance. No, you don't have insure the dealer car, we have them insured already through the dealer, however, that does not mean you can just freely hop in and rely on the dealers insurance. If an accident occurs where you are at fault (lets be honest, it's a car you are not familiar with yet), how do you think we are supposed to have it repaired? This is where you have to work with your own insurance company and file a claim.
Just in case someone asks at your dealer, you only need to have a valid driver's license and be able to present it. Of course, the individual dealer can have their own rules with regards to it.

According to the two dealerships I spoke to (said I was looking for my first car and had never had/don't have insurance right now), I do not require insurance to take a test drive. They will take a copy of my valid driver's license and have me take the test drive with one of their sales staff riding with me. They had never heard of any insurance guideline or California law regarding this.
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #44
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
I was just at the jeep test track, heres a pic I took

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/9fa23d7..._0412_1787.jpg

Enjoy your new jeep!!
That looks like it could be the rigorous testing they were talking about.
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #45
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciawork View Post
Definitely not something to get worked up over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
4 people test drive it leads to 50 miles. Stop crying like a little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I can't believe this is actually a thread. Is anything wrong? Is the jeep broken? Did you die? No. Calm your tits.
Are you kidding me? There was nothing in his original post that was even remotely indicative of getting worked up, crying, or behavior symptomatic of someone needing to calm down.

He bought his vehicle from the factory and they're going to put 50 miles of "rigorous" testing on it after the fact. He simply wants to know that entails. I don't see how that's an unreasonable question. Mileage between lots and test drives are understandable, sure, but that's not the case here. Furthermore, he didn't post his question in all capital letters with half his words misspelled, he didn't threaten to go to the dealership with a bomb strapped to his chest, and he prefaced that he already tried to contact Jeep with his questions and they have not responded.

There's more drama here than the waiting room of an abortion clinic, but none if it stems from the OP, not to mention the fact the moderator apparently didn't read the entire post before constructing his ignorant reply. The only people who need to "calm their tits" are you guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.