New and looking for advice. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > New and looking for advice.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
CRaiche
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New and looking for advice.

Hello everyone! I am brand new to the jeep scene and a very excited new owner to a 04 Wrangler. I recently had my 05 Mourano totaled out by a hit and run driver. A great buddy of mine just put his jeep up for sale the same day. It was like it was meant to be. Now i know little to none about the jeep world and even less about mechanics so this will be a very long adventure...

Because my mourano was my daily driver, the jeep will now be taking its place. I know that they are not meant to be a very fuel effiecent beast, but what are some cheeper mods that I might make to get a couple more mpg's out of her? Is a cold air intake a good option? I'm not able to spend tons of money just yet on this hobby, but some extra mpgs would be nice.

Im also not looking for a number like 35mpg or anything just a little better.

CRaiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The best thing you can do is monitor how you drive. Its a brick with a sail on it, aerodynamics weren't factored into its design.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
CRaiche
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh i understand that completely! Just figured if i could get a couple cheaper mods that help out then it helps... Every penny counts these days!
CRaiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum.

I had a í04 Rubi, great Jeeps to be sure. Kinda like Anticanman said, you must drive with a light foot. Iíve been driving Jeeps steady ever since 1986 when I bought my first one (1986 CJ7 Laredo) and have never tracked my gas mileage other than watching the gauge (1/4, half and ĺ). To do so would drive me crazy.

Just drive and enjoy it. If you are looking for good gas mileage youíre barking up the wrong tree. Just ainít going to happen.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I calculated the MPG once right after I lifted my '98. Haven't done it since because it makes me sad

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
anotherlilguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck. Although I have been seeing close to 16 mpg out if my 03 rubi. And I don't consider myself a "conservative" driver, but I have changed my driving habits since I have owned a jeep. For the record, I am VERY happy with those mpg numbers out of the ole girl.
anotherlilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It will not have nearly as nice of ride, mpg, and creature comforts of your Nissan...but it will go so much farther off road.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Making sure your tire pressure is set right will go a long way! Other than that the biggest difference is really just how you drive. Look way ahead in traffic so you can try to anticipate/avoid starts and stops. Any time you have to get the thing moving will cost ya!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.