New Jeep Time - requesting info from JK folks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > New Jeep Time - requesting info from JK folks

Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough**Flash Weekend Sale** Rockridge4wd.com Only!

Unread 08-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #1
Tyr4nt

New Jeep Time - requesting info from JK folks

Hey guys,

TL;DR - I blew up my TJ and my wife and I have agreed we are buying a JK. The immediate and practical reasons include our two kids, which will have an easier time getting in and out of the JK than my TJ.

What I need: Product advice!
What trim level JK do you own?
Did you buy from a dealer or used?
What options are your favorite factory options on your vehicle?
What options do you love that you chose and why?
What options do you wish you would have spent the $ on, example Rock-Trac or hard top or ?

Thanks all!
~Ty4nt

Tyr4nt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Tyr4nt

Looks like there's not a lot of JK owner enthusiasm? Whatever.

I went to a dealer today after doing some research on Ze Webz. Looks like Rubicon is the way for me to go. I don't care about interior or air conditioning, but I do like the idea of factory lockers, dana 44s, and a 4:1 low ratio out of the transfer case. I am intrigued by and also skeptical of an electronic sway disco, but if it breaks, I'll install a currie anti-rock or equivalent.

No JK guys like their rigs enough to talk about them though? That gives me the weirds more than the price tag...

Last edited by Tyr4nt; 08-12-2015 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: spellzing errorrs
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
ncb

Try the JK forum vs. the Wrangler general discussion forum.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
ncb

Rubicon

New from a dealer

The fact that the only option was a hard top. I only run it in the winter

That I went with a Rubicon. 2.5" lift plus 35s and it's perfect for me

What options do you wish you would have spent the $ on, example Rock-Trac or hard top or?
I wish I had the 3.6 vs. the 3.8 in my 2009. Even with proper gearing it's a bit of a slug living at 6,000 ft. and taking I70 into the Rockies.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Tyr4nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Try the JK forum vs. the Wrangler general discussion forum.
I can do that. My intention was to keep this out of the tech forum, but you're probably right.
Unread 08-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr4nt View Post
Looks like there's not a lot of JK owner enthusiasm? Whatever.

No JK guys like their rigs enough to talk about them though? That gives me the weirds more than the price tag...
WOW. Whole half day of patience? Whereas a lot of YJ and TJ owners may be students and have all the time in the world to surf......The JK....or rather JKU crowd tends to be older and usually have jobs mid week! That's why not much response!
I'll post about JKU later!
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have an 07 JKU. I would strongly suggest you look at the JKU it is much nicer with kids. I don't find getting into the back of the JK any easier than the TJ.

I have a JKUX This is the basic model. I do have the power windows and door locks and honestly like them.

Jeep was bought with the soft top and we used it for a few years and then bought a hard top. I run the hard top in the winter and run a bikini top most years in the summer. The soft top just sits in the garage now.

I bought new in 2006. My original 3.8l was replaced (by me) at 58-59K. I would look at the newer 3.6 if I were buying right now, mainly for the newer auto transmission.

Lockers, gears, and swaybar disconnect has made the biggest difference to my offroading ability/confidence.

If I were doing it all over again right now, I would get the newer engine with the auto transmission in the rubicon package. I have added most of the options to get close to the rubicon package but not quite. That said, I am not a hardcore wheeler and my setup is enough for what I do at the moment and I have spent less than I would have had I bought a rubicon new.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well I'm older and my kids are all out of the house. So I got a 2 door for myself. However, my wife has a 4 door if I ever need one...lol

I purchased a Sport. I felt that a Rubicon was more than I needed and just a waste of money for me. I lifted, did 35s, and regeared, and added a front locker at the same time. So the 4.11s would have been useless for me as I'm running 4.56s now. Don't rock crawl so I didn't need the 4:1 transfer case. The Dana 30 front housing is as strong as a 44 housing so I did not need the front 44 either. Money could be better spent.

I originally started looking for used but the used 3.6 prices were too close to the new prices so I bought from a dealer. I wanted a hard top which severely limited my options of finding one on the lot. As least where I live. I went to 2 dealerships and there was only one 2 door hardtop between them both. And that was out of approximately 60 JKs. As a result, I didn't get power windows and locks, and that is what I really would have liked. Funny thing is I took the hard top off and put a soft top on. Haven't had the hard top on since.

So 3.6 with power locks and windows would be my only criteria if I was to buy again today. Everything else I can work with. Good luck.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
JeepChgo
2015 JK Wrangler 

What trim level JK do you own? 2015 Rubicon

I bought new.... After 6 months of looking for a used Jeep the price of a new with a good discount was a better deal. Jeeps really hold their value so you have to buy an older model out of any warranty to get a great deal. I wanted a 2013 model or newer as some of the standard feature changes were appealing but couldn't find great deals on used.

Personally I like the matching color hard top but that's a personal preference thing... I'm glad I got the Alpine stereo package. Radio and satellite sound quality sucks but if you
stream from your phone it sounds awesome.

I didn't really care about options other than the hardtop and speakers as the Jeep is not my daily vehicle. There are some off road courses that I'm going to and want a Jeep for Chicago winters as my daily car is rear wheel drive.

What options do you wish you would have spent the $ on, example Rock-Trac or hard top or ?
None so far.... I would have gotten a different color if I didn't have a wife but I'm good so far.
JeepChgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

If I was buying a jeep now, I'd get a 2015 Rubi/dual tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr4nt View Post
Hey guys,

TL;DR - I blew up my TJ and my wife and I have agreed we are buying a JK. The immediate and practical reasons include our two kids, which will have an easier time getting in and out of the JK than my TJ.

Thanks all!
~Ty4nt
What level ? Rubi/auto
Did you buy from dealer/used ? Internet order/dealer delivery
What options do you love ? Eswaybar/4/1 xfer case/elockers(any speed/2wd/4wd/4hi/4lo)
What options do you wish you would have spent $ on ? none MOPAR

My JKUR lives in the Nv desert and I have a hardtop--that stays in place/insulated/racked/no leaks/no noise/no sunburn-etc

Whatever

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 JKU Sahara
Bought used - great deal
Most everything electrical group (power everything) was standard.
had premium sound but no nav-wanted nav radio- so got me a China knockoff -cheap.
wanted smartbar so I no figit in mud(electronic rubi swaybar)- so bought me a takeoff)
Liked the newer softop with springs (2013+) so got me new take-off
liked aftermarket rock sliders.....so got me some COD/mw3 newish take-offs
and the bumper!
would like lockers (but haven't needed them due to standard equipment BLD
aussie in future....or take offs

best option- max tow package cause it gave me 3.73.....4.11 would have
been even better. but maybe a soon regear.

I would have liked the post 2011 interior and the post 2012 transmission (no, I don't care much for the pentastar!

Ideal jeep?- LS6.0 6l80e swaped 2011 JKU (new interior) . With D60 all around (could be sahara or rubicon as everything that makes the JKU a rubi will need to be sold.....I believe it is coming very soon (minus the axles for now)
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

2013 Rubicon 2 dr. Bought brand new, since it made no financial sense to buy used.

The only option I got was the tinted windows on the soft top.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Tyr4nt

Thanks duuudes!
Unread 08-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
arbakken

What trim level JK do you own: 2015 JKU Willys
Did you buy from a dealer or used: New, the resale value was so good you almost can't afford to buy used!
What options are your favorite factory options on your vehicle: MT tires, 430 and alpine stereo, hard top
What options do you love that you chose and why: I like the Willys package. Gives me a limited slip, the chunky tires, but saves me $4k from the lockers and swaybar that I'll never use
What options do you wish you would have spent the $ on, example Rock-Trac or hard top or : I wish I could have gotten the tan interior in a sport.
arbakken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
BillyJack
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 JKU Rubicon. Bought new. Resale is ridiculous. Didn't come with a hard top so I bought one for $900 off of craigslist. Has everything I need. Wish it had the tailgate holder opener thing like the newer JKUs. The aftermarket hood holder opener things that are sold to retrofit look like crap.
BillyJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.