New Jeep Owner - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Rik84

New Jeep Owner

So! By the end of next week I will be taking delivery on a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Picked it up for a good price, no hassles yet.

I just wanted to introduce myself on the forum as I'm a bit of a forum lacky when it comes to my vehicles.

Up until last Wednesday I was the extremely proud owner of a 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution MR - which i successfuly crashed into someone else's garage... So I've now decided that rather than going fast I will go slow and try not to roll my new (to me) jeep.

This is going to be a huge change for me. My car was potentially the fastest Evo X in BC, and definitely the fastest Evo X MR in BC. Now I'm going to be driving an *** slow Jeep! But it'll still be a riot.

I have a bit of problem with modifying everything I own. My Evo was one off, my Harley is 1 off, and I am damn sure that within a year or two my Jeep should be a monster.

So, as I sign off, I'm Rik, I will soon have a Jeep, I do not want to crash into another house with this vehicle, but I may drive it off a cliff...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
evoGibson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you didnt buy a jeep, you bought a mini van....

1999 xj, bone stock-current
1998 xj, 2" on 33's-past
1994 yj on 31's-past
post #3 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Rik84

ah yes, the joy of forums. Thanks for the **** comment. Apparently actually assisting others in the community and being a productive member of society escapes you.

Aside from that - pound sand.

post #4 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Offroadchris
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ah a 4 door jk, what are your plans for it? oh and get ready for the minivan bashing. its all good and fun any time there is a new jeep on the block it gets picked on till its old news. so is it stock? and for the record the best desition i made was to stop the fast and furious b.s. and go jeep. because after all no matter how sweet you think your f&f lancers and impreza's are there still just the cheapest vehicle in there lineup souped up and over priced! easy to crash. not that a jeep isn't easy to crash... may be easier. but you'll not kill your self and everyone around you when you do.. atleast lets hope not.. unless you park like this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...-today-943640/ well this forum will be bountys of invaluable information.

"My jeep is a death trap, so get out of the way."
"Stupid posts get stupid replys! Its not my fault thats just how it goes."
post #5 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome! I too am a new guy to Jeeps, but I came over from the lifted truck segment. Sure is a different experience, but I love it so far! Just as there is always a faster rice burner than yours, there will always be a bigger bader Jeep than yours. If you can get a handle on that and not get butt hurt when you are in someone elses shadow, you should be able to keep a few $ in your pocket. Have fun!
post #6 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Offroadchris
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoud View Post
Welcome! I too am a new guy to Jeeps, but I came over from the lifted truck segment. Sure is a different experience, but I love it so far! Just as there is always a faster rice burner than yours, there will always be a bigger bader Jeep than yours. If you can get a handle on that and not get butt hurt when you are in someone elses shadow, you should be able to keep a few $ in your pocket. Have fun!
sage advice. build your jeep to be fun for you and what makes you happy. there will alway be a bigger badder jeep on the block. and its a king of the hill game. dont get cought up in that b.s. have fun with your jeep.

"My jeep is a death trap, so get out of the way."
"Stupid posts get stupid replys! Its not my fault thats just how it goes."
post #7 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Rik84

Oh don't worry, the "fast and the furious" has been sucked out of me. The Evo was fun, it should have ran a high 11 in the 1/4. But I'm past all that.

The Jeep is totally stock right now. I'm not 100% sure how far I want to go with it yet. Decided to go with the 4 door instead of the 2 door as I'm in sales and the extra room makes it a heck of a lot easier to pick up a few customers and grab stuff off a jobsite if I have to. I really wanted the 2 door Rubicon but just not enough room for my needs.

It'll probably stay more or less stock this year. Next year I'm thinking about a 4 1/2" (approximately) lift, new rubber and wheels. Pull off the bumpers and put on some tougher/who cares if I hit a tree with them bumpers. Looking into some performance work. Probably just work on getting the motor to breath properly through exhaust and intake. That would include moving the air intake around a bit, new intake manifold (if there's such a beast available for my minivan motor), proper set of tubular headers, and a full custom exhaust set up.

The Jeep's a 2007, a darker red (I think it's called Red Rock Red on the new ones), hard top and soft top, 6 speed, power group, tow package, standard stereo (which I will remedy in time).
post #8 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
mouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not too sure about the JK's maybe one of the JK guys will jump in but i can tell you that trying to squeze more out of a TJ isn't worth the money you will spend for just a few extra HP's.
post #9 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
ncb

Welcome. Don't worry about all the bashing you'll receive here. Hemi swaps and super chargers are the on HP enhancers that are worth dropping coin on.
post #10 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Rik84

I'm not looking for a whole bunch of extra power, just something to wake it up on the highway. Really just smooth out the power band.

If I get really bored I'd probably go with a Hemi swap. My biggest concern there is that I'm sure I'll start breaking things in the driveline with that much extra HP. The torque in the low gears scares me a little as well.

I've still got a bike that's pretty quick so I can still enjoy some on that. I'm just looking to build a really capable 4 door that I can get up into the bush without any issues, looks good, and is still reliable enough for me to drive every day.
post #11 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously, don't waste your money on intakes and exhaust, it won't wake anything up. Its really not worth the money at all.

Also this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
So, as I sign off, I'm Rik, I will soon have a Jeep, I do not want to crash into another house with this vehicle, but I may drive it off a cliff...
Is signature worthy

Welcome
post #12 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Rik84

hah, thanks man.

Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust and everything. A lot of the stuff I do to vehicles may not actually do a whole to it, but it's still more fun shooting myself in the foot and gives me something to do on the weekends.
post #13 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Mooseknuckles
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would like JK's so much more if the 5.7 was a factory option...

The Green Machine 2005 Wrangler Sport, 31" Michelin LTX A/T's on 15x8 Cragar V5's
The Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HAYTHANKS to Rammer500 for the Membership Upgrade!
post #14 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoGibson View Post
you didnt buy a jeep, you bought a mini van....
That's BS! The JK is a capable rig right out of the box. I am a TJ owner. My first jeep was a 74 CJ5. I know a Jeep when I see one. I'd take a JK over a YJ every day of the week. I am fine with a little intergeneration rivalry but that was no way to welcome a new jeep owner to the group.
Especially coming from a square headlighted open D35d low output 4 popper.
post #15 of 40 Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Rik84

Hah, couldn't have a read a better post just before bed.

Sir - I thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
That's BS! The JK is a capable rig right out of the box. I am a TJ owner. My first jeep was a 74 CJ5. I know a Jeep when I see one. I'd take a JK over a YJ every day of the week. I am fine with a little intergeneration rivalry but that was no way to welcome a new jeep owner to the group.
Especially coming from a square headlighted open D35d low output 4 popper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.