New guy here going off road for first time tomorrow... any advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > New guy here going off road for first time tomorrow... any advice?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
paulgraff

New guy here going off road for first time tomorrow... any advice?

I got a 2010 jeep wrangler and the kids want to go off roading, so we found a trail pass place in Pearlington Mississippi so off we go tomorrow.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

And remember I have never owned a jeep before and I have NO off road experience at all except the parking I used to do 30 years ago when I was dating, but thats another fourm.

Thank you for your time and tips, they are greatly appreciated.

PG

paulgraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

1. Take a buddy
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
gtstricky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2. Do not go alone.

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/] [COLOR="Yellow"]TJ Boot Camp Threads[/COLOR][/url]

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/winch-basics-1004426/] [COLOR="Yellow"]Winch Basics[/COLOR][/url]

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lift-tire-questions-new-jeep-owner-1004989/] [COLOR="Yellow"]Lift Basics[/COLOR][/url]
gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yes definitly have a buddy with another 4x4 and make sure you have tow straps. if you are planning on going with out a friend then a winch is a good idea.
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Taking a buddy is the best advice, but if you absolutely can't at least make sure somebody knows where exactly you are going and give a time that you plan to be back.

Also, measure any puddle of water before going in, it could be much deeper than you think. Just break a limb off of a tree and stick it in to check the depth.

Have fun and post pics!
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Find a local club, hook up with them....go with them your first time, otherwise you may have a terrible experience and never want to go again, especially if you go alone.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

All of the above plus; Too little gas might get you stuck, too much can get you body damage. You don't say what model 2010 you have. If it does not have recover points add them first, recover points are hooks on front and back that straps and / or winch lines can be connected to.

Post in the South central forum that your looking to wheel for the first time and I'm sure you'll find some locals willing to help out.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
yotgirl
2010 JK Wrangler 

yes, take a friend who has expereince. i had never driven a 4wd off road and we took my brand new (only days old!!!) jeep around a lot of cane field headlands about a week ago. since weve had a lot of rain here, most tracks were overgrown and/or very sloppy with water and mud. nothing too serious but enough for me to learn a few basics and get the feel of the vehicle. i would never have attempted the tracks on my own even though they would be considered 'kiddy stuff' to a lot of people. anyhow it was a lot of fun having the reassurance of an experienced driver with me.
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Take a friend with experience, make sure you know how deep the water is before you go through it, get a snatch strap rated to over 10K with loops, not hooks, get some decent anchor shackles to attach the tow rope.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This won't help you tomorrow, but along with the above advice I'd get this book: Off Road Guide - Jeep Jamboree - 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine
You can order it for $7.95 (includes S&H) from: Mark A. Smith Off-Roading, Inc., 2776 Sourdough Flat, Georgetown, CA 95634. I got a copy years ago when I went on a Jeep Jamboree and found it very informative and helpful. This booklet is a good reference.

Random thoughts: Attachment points front and rear (no trailer hitch balls), don't let anyone talk you into doing anything you're not comfortable with, have a way to air-down your tires and air back up, have a full-size matching spare, shovel, tow strap (no hooks), make sure you know how to engage four-wheel drive and four-wheel low, start with a full tank of gas, bring what you would need if you had to spend the night out in the woods (food, water, warm clothes, etc.), make sure everyone is wearing a seat belt at all times, have another vehicle with you, order the above book (it's cheap, and it might save you from damaging your Jeep). Heck, I might order another one since this is an updated book. It never hurts to review stuff.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

All the above is good. Try to use common sense, take things slow and easy. You're out to learn and have fun, not run the Baja 1000, right? Relax and enjoy, don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Also, another thing that just popped into my head...

Try not to scare the passengers. You want your family to enjoy offroading, I assume. Make it so they want to go again in the future.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgraff View Post

I got a 2010 jeep wrangler and the kids want to go off roading, so we found a trail pass place in Pearlington Mississippi so off we go tomorrow.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

And remember I have never owned a jeep before and I have NO off road experience at all except the parking I used to do 30 years ago when I was dating, but thats another fourm.

PG
Hope you were carefull going in and out of 4wd low cuz the little fail safe clips aren't very strong
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
billymac4511
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgraff View Post

PG
How'd it go?

Pics?
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rubber side down?
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

3. put your tires on the rocks, don't straddle them.
4. test water & mud with a stick before going through
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.