New exhaust opinions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > New exhaust opinions...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New exhaust opinions...

So I just got a new air intake and I am considering swapping out the stock exhaust as well. I have been looking around and the first option that really jumped out at me was Magnaflow.

The two that are available for my little 4 banger are listed below:

Mangnaflow 15885

Magnaflow 17122

The obvious differences between these two systems are the price and the position of the tip, one exhausting out the back of the jeep, while the other comes out the side.

I'm a little new to performance upgrades and I know there's not a whole lot I can do with a 2.4l but any opinions about these systems or suggestions about others would be more than welcome.

"Wha's a Jeep?" Popeye asks Professor Brainstine.

[COLOR="Blue"]_/l ,[___],
l--L --OlllllO-[/COLOR]
[B]()_)()_)-o-)_)[/B]

[URL="http://northshorejeeps.forumotion.com/"]North Shore Jeeps[/URL]

[B]WTB:[/B] Poison Spyder Hood Louver, AEM Brute Force CAI, High flow Exhaust, Rokmen High Clearance Belly Pan, Engo 9-10K winch, Air Lockers
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ive got the full length and it sounds great On my 4.0. Im not a fan of shine so i painted it with high temp Black.
Punisher8738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher8738 View Post
Ive got the full length and it sounds great On my 4.0. Im not a fan of shine so i painted it with high temp Black.
Any performance differences? MPG?

l--L --OlllllO-[/COLOR]
[B]()_)()_)-o-)_)[/B]

[B]WTB:[/B] Poison Spyder Hood Louver, AEM Brute Force CAI, High flow Exhaust, Rokmen High Clearance Belly Pan, Engo 9-10K winch, Air Lockers
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
asim04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The second one listed will be louder as it is Magnaflow's off-road muffler. MBRP has similar setups just like the two posted if looking at a cheaper option for bolt on. If you're a DIY person, you can get a Thrush muffler for cheap at Advance Auto as it is similar to a Flowmaster and use it to replace your stock muffler or buy a turn down tip to copy the second Magnaflow setup.
asim04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
edinct
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got the MBRP exhaust and Magnaflow cat. Sounds badass. Wish I knew how to attach a video clip to this thread using my iPhone.
edinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Rob, I can't speak to the 4 banger, but I'm not new to performance exhaust. I've used the Borla, Flowmaster, Spintech, and Magnaflow brands over the span of several years on two different Jeeps. In my opinion, Magnaflow and Borla have a lower, better sounding grumble. As far as performance, I could always feel a difference when I swapped out the stock exhaust. Magnaflow is a good choice. I'd go for the rear exit, but thats just me.

Also, and randomly, did you play youth hockey for Medford? Your name seems very familiar, but can't seem to figure out where I've heard it before.
cherox is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post
Rob, I can't speak to the 4 banger, but I'm not new to performance exhaust. I've used the Borla, Flowmaster, Spintech, and Magnaflow brands over the span of several years on two different Jeeps. In my opinion, Magnaflow and Borla have a lower, better sounding grumble. As far as performance, I could always feel a difference when I swapped out the stock exhaust. Magnaflow is a good choice. I'd go for the rear exit, but thats just me.

Also, and randomly, did you play youth hockey for Medford? Your name seems very familiar, but can't seem to figure out where I've heard it before.
I think i'm gonna go with the short exhaust for the sake of price...i just have to check if it's legal in MA.

And yes I did play hockey for Medford. PeeWee through Bantam. Did you?

l--L --OlllllO-[/COLOR]
[B]()_)()_)-o-)_)[/B]

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.