need your opinion/would you do it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > need your opinion/would you do it?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Reply
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
need your opinion/would you do it?

okay, i have a 2.5L and have been wanting to make the switch to the I6 for a while now... after doing some searching and wanting to spend as little as possible this is about the best option i have found (imo)... so if you had the opportunity would you do the following...

2000 wrangler se
2.5L 4 cyl
56K miles
outstanding condition
plus 3000 dollars

for

2003 wrangler sahara ed
4.0 6cyl
100K miles
outstanding condition

would you do it?

all opinions are welcome.

thanks for looking and happy holiday!

greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
gistecknician
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 145
My question to you is, why do you want a I6? Is it truly a want, or a need (wheeling, towing, etc)
gistecknician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
BillyV65
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 349
As an owner of a 2.5 and currently installing a 5.9l V8, I'd say the 4.0 is a need from a speed standpoint. I like being able to maintain highway speeds (70mph) and I know my 2.5 couldn't do it when going up any grade whatsoever.

I'd say it's worth the 3k
__________________
'07 Rescue Green JK - 3.5" Rough Country with 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers on 18" Fuel Hostage wheels...More to come
BillyV65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
skiahh
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 187
mmm... a 2000 with 56K for a 3 year newer but DOUBLE the miles?

No, I wouldn't do that one.
__________________
'09 Bright Silver 2dr Rubicon
'03 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
www.teamnavycycling.org
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by gistecknician View Post
My question to you is, why do you want a I6? Is it truly a want, or a need (wheeling, towing, etc)
eh... a little of both...
greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyV65 View Post
As an owner of a 2.5 and currently installing a 5.9l V8, I'd say the 4.0 is a need from a speed standpoint. I like being able to maintain highway speeds (70mph) and I know my 2.5 couldn't do it when going up any grade whatsoever.

I'd say it's worth the 3k
yep, my feelings exactly... the 2.5 is grossly underpowered especially in the hilly terrain of northeastern tn...
greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
wendell
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: grafton ohio
Posts: 3,292
I think thats the way to go, if you want a 4.0, it's better to get a 4.0 powered jeep, than screw a round with trying to swap one into your jeep being that it's so new. If not the 03, another 4.0 jeep. The mileage is geeting up there, but it is 3 years newer and the 4.0 is known to run up to 300,000 mile with oil changes if not more. I would say do it. Once you get the 4.0 bug, you won't be satisfied with your 2.5, might as well swap and get it over with now so you can start the mods on the new jeep instead of wasting money on your current one.
__________________
1987 wrangler, 258 I-6, 5-speed.
2007 liberty sport 4X4, automatic
2009 ford ranger 4x4 FX4 OFF/ROAD, 5-speed
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
I think thats the way to go, if you want a 4.0, it's better to get a 4.0 powered jeep, than screw a round with trying to swap one into your jeep being that it's so new. If not the 03, another 4.0 jeep. The mileage is geeting up there, but it is 3 years newer and the 4.0 is known to run up to 300,000 mile with oil changes if not more. I would say do it. Once you get the 4.0 bug, you won't be satisfied with your 2.5, might as well swap and get it over with now so you can start the mods on the new jeep instead of wasting money on your current one.

i agree... i just hope we can work out a deal on monday!!
greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,425
I don't know what your budget is, but personally if I was going to upgrade, I'd find a TJ that has less miles on it and possibly even newer. At least if you haven't yet, do more shopping around before you settle.
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Finsup
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 107
Why not just regear for more pedal response and save the extra money for building it up. I have a 99 2.5L and was thinking about selling to get a 4.0 but decided, why sell a paid off Jeep only to get a payment and not be able to build mine. I dont know if you have a payment or will have one, but just my $.02
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
__________________
Oh No....a drug dealer is here!

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #453
Finsup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
theducksguts
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,982
You should just re-gear.
__________________
00 XJ Sport 0331 Victim
99 XJ Sport
98 TJ

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but personally if I was going to upgrade, I'd find a TJ that has less miles on it and possibly even newer. At least if you haven't yet, do more shopping around before you settle.
budget is pretty tight... i am about at my ceiling at 3k. he is offering me a really good amount for mine and selling his for a reasonable amount (imo).

i think that if i lived in a more densley populated area that i would be able to pull off a better deal as i regularly see better deals in ATL/CHI/BLT et cetera... unfortunately around here this is far and away the best deal i have found.

i figure if it is meant to be then it will work out monday, if not, then oh well...
greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsup View Post
Why not just regear for more pedal response and save the extra money for building it up. I have a 99 2.5L and was thinking about selling to get a 4.0 but decided, why sell a paid off Jeep only to get a payment and not be able to build mine. I dont know if you have a payment or will have one, but just my $.02
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
thanks man, good advice and that is definitely something that i have been considering for a while now... the thing is, to regear it will cost me approx 1500 according to almost all the quotes i have gotten around here... for a little more then i can get ultimately what i want and likely not have to deal with regear for a good while until i go with much bigger tires.
greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
greta
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 36.32N 82.37W
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
You should just re-gear.
considered that, but it too is expensive.
greta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
jjg214
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,080
if i were you, id jump on it, maybe try to talk the cash down a bit since your jeep has very low mileage.
__________________
WTB: HP Dana 30, Long Island/New York Area

detours backbone system for sale
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.