Need some input on a lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-11-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
JeepinDane541

Need some input on a lift

Hey all,
So I have my 03 TJ Sport which is stock at this point, I'm looking to get a lift and have narrowed it down to two companies. The 4" rough country suspension kit, and the 4" ProComp suspension kit, I'm not the jeeper who will be thrashing the jeep so I don't really need the whole indestructible kit or anything that is top of the line. I know of many people who swear by rough country but also hear on the forum that many don't like them, I will be buying all recommended parts to be sure nothing else breaks due to the increase in height. On the other hand I know many who swear by the procomp lifts and their customer service and warranties. I am still a little confused on the procomp having stage 1 and stage 2 for the 4" lift, also there being no recommended parts on the ProComp site. If anyone has some experiences and or insight with the two lifts please share some knowledge!
-Dane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-11-2017, 02:40 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should go over to the TJ Tech section and read. There will be hundreds of threads with basically this question. Lots of reading. Short answer is both of those kits are going to be well toward the bottom of any list most people around here would make. I think you'll find in that size lift the most commonly recommended budget kit will be the Zone 4.25".
post #3 of 14 Old 06-11-2017, 05:57 PM
RDPrimeaux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Answer these questions

1. Why do you want to lift it?
2. How do you currently use your jeep, and what are your future intended uses?
3. What size tires do you intend on running?
4. Any other modifications planned?

WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

There are other questions that could apply.
Low budget
Body lift and spacer lift by far the cheapest.
Then you may be looking at shocks.
Larger tires.
Regear.
Then it is "Damn, I should have went with "brand X" kit."
New springs, tires, axles, hiline fenders.

Damn, did I just spend $20,000 on upgrades?

2006 LJ Rubicon 4.88 33 RCV

post #4 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stay away from rough country and procomp.....
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 AM
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDane541 View Post
I know of many people who swear by rough country but also hear on the forum that many don't like them. On the other hand I know many who swear by the procomp lifts and their customer service and warranties.
Who are these people swearing by RC and Procomp? Because these people should not be trusted!

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #6 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 04:53 AM
phatplat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Zone 4" in my 01 and I like it fine.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 07:35 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatplat View Post
I have a Zone 4" in my 01 and I like it fine.
Zone 4.25" combo is probably a little better entry option as it at least has the potential to require less driveline work.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 PM
AlphaOmegaTJ

Garage
If you want to go 4" your talking a lot of money to do it right. RC and Pro comp are not what you're looking for. You're ride will be terrible. They're cheaper for a reason, they're not well designed high quality lifts. I'd look at Currie for a 4". It's expensive but even if you have to save and wait you'll be very happy. Always best to do it right the first time rather than trash a bad mod and replace
post #9 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 PM
RustyCage
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've heard a lot of people say the 4.25" Zone (fka BDS) combo will give you a good base for a very capable 4x4. Seems to me you're talking about decent shocks and springs, that a lot of people are happy with, which is the least expensive and easily replaceable part of the lift/suspension if you upgraded later. You spend your money on all the other undercarriage bits and pieces. I think that's how I'm going to do it for now.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had RC adj arms for over 4 years and replaced one bushing for 15 bucks about 8 months ago. I have been happy with them. That is the only RC component I have had so I can't give you an opinion on anything else they sell.

BUT I wouldn't go over 2.5 susp lift unless you are prepared to spend more money and time understanding the extra that could go along with it.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #11 of 14 Old 06-21-2017, 11:32 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDane541 View Post
I'm not the jeeper who will be thrashing the jeep so I don't really need the whole indestructible kit or anything that is top of the line.
This take on a lift upgrade is always interesting to me. Stating that one (not singling you out here, OP) will not be wheeling hard or challenging their Jeep so they don't need a good suspension is a terrible way to look at it. If I were driving my Jeep on the street 95% of her life you bet your *** I'd be looking for the absolute most compliant and cushy ride possible regardless of cost. If the question is 'what's the cheapest way I can get x" of lift' then just ask that. Looks like you've already narrowed that down tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
This take on a lift upgrade is always interesting to me. Stating that one (not singling you out here, OP) will not be wheeling hard or challenging their Jeep so they don't need a good suspension is a terrible way to look at it. If I were driving my Jeep on the street 95% of her life you bet your *** I'd be looking for the absolute most compliant and cushy ride possible regardless of cost. If the question is 'what's the cheapest way I can get x" of lift' then just ask that. Looks like you've already narrowed that down tho.
X2. The highway can be pretty tough on a vehicle.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

wrong post

post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post

This will be your shocks and tires and tire pressure.

Tags
4" , lift kit , lift kit advice , pro comp lift kit , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.