Need Opinions on What's the Best Diff Locker?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Need Opinions on What's the Best Diff Locker??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 01-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
C11Gidasi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Need Opinions on What's the Best Diff Locker??

OK I've got an '08 JK and am re-gearing soon, so I figure I might as well throw lockers in there while I'm at it.

I've searched and searched, read the FAQ's, and scanned the reviews page, but I can't find anything that addresses these specific things:

1. In your opinion, what's the best kind of locker? To me it seems silly to lug around the added infrastructure involved with air lockers. I don't want the added control of an OX locker. I want more control than an automatic locker. So it seems like the convenience and control provided by electronic lockers can't be beat, leading me to think electronic is the best way to go. Any reasons why it wouldn't be?

2. Is there any reason why I would want to avoid putting lockers in both my rear Dana 44 AND my front Dana 30 [i.e. the Dana 30 is a weaker axle]??

3. All that being said, bottom line: What's your favorite locker?

I think I'm leaning towards putting in ECTED Max's right now. I saw the article in the March 2011 FourWheeler magazine that was raving and raving about them. I see em at like $640 each.

Thanks!!!
Dan

C11Gidasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I REALLY like my ARB air lockers, I have them front D30 & rear D44. Not sure what your issue is "seems silly to lug around the added infrastructure involved with air lockers" not really any issues. I also have a York OBA system so no big deal to send air to the lockers. If you don't have an OBA you can always get the larger ARB compressor, it is great being able to air up tires and the end of the trail w/o having CO2 tanks.

I was wondering about electrical connections to my diff's. How do they handle water, and not just rain water but crossing streams, along with dust etc. and you still need a power supply and switches. The OX locker you need to find a place for there big levers and I have heard the cables get out of adjustment.

So for me the ARB's made sense.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
C11Gidasi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hmm Good point about the airing up and what not. How exactly does it work when you need to use your lockers? Can you just flip a switch, or do you have to wait for the pump to generate pressure? Is the pump mobile? I.e. can you take it to each wheel when you need to air up? Or is it installed 'permanently' into a part of the car?
C11Gidasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C11Gidasi View Post
Hmm Good point about the airing up and what not. How exactly does it work when you need to use your lockers? Can you just flip a switch, or do you have to wait for the pump to generate pressure? Is the pump mobile? I.e. can you take it to each wheel when you need to air up? Or is it installed 'permanently' into a part of the car?
You would already have the compressor on and aired up. Yes you just flip a switch to activate the lockers.
The compressor is permanently installed.
The compressor that ARB uses or at least did use will burn up eventually if it is used for airing up tires.
You would be much better off installing a engine driven on board air system.
Use a ARB in the front and love it! I have been running it for around 5 years and have never had any problems with it.
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well it all depends on how you set it up, like I said I use a York compressor. First flip the compressor switch give it a min. or so and you are ready to go w/ the ARB's. I leave the switch for the compressor on all day. It only comes when it needs to, the switch is on all day but the compressor only comes on a few times during the day. Now I have also installed quick disconnects front and rear so I can get air from either end. I can fill all four tires from one location, but I went this way so that I can help out jeeps in front or behind me if needed. Installed all of the switches in one spot,and I am using the ARB switches but then I am in a YJ so will need to find a spot in yours to locate the switches.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
jantzer

Cool ideas here. I like it.
jantzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow plumber that's a sick set up!!
CALUfootball64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.