Need Opinions on Estimate for Lift, Gear, Tires, Hood and Bumpers. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Need Opinions on Estimate for Lift, Gear, Tires, Hood and Bumpers.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

this install (if they remove and flatten out the stock brackets on all for corners) will take 20 hours or so. you have to also take into consideration that they are also installing a front bumper, (6 hours if you cut the impact zone out for their first one), removing, painting and installing a hood as well as the gearing. They could easily keep this jeep for a solid work week.

350-400 to install a ring and pinion is normal per pumpkin which looks to be what he is being charged. they put hourly but it is a flat fee. Normal pricing.

Just out of curiosity, what wheel you going with?

VegasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah the labor is marked as hourly, but it's actually a flat rate, I did ask about that. lol

And I'm guessing the guys who run this shop (which came highly recommended by local Jeepers), have day jobs (which I found odd), because their hours are:
"We typically work mon,tues,Thursday night from 6-10 pm" "I would plan on a good month for it to be done correctly without rushing." The without rushing is fine since they're giving a flat rate for the installs instead of a true hourly, but I'm not sure if I can go 1 month without my Jeep as it's my daily driver. I was hoping to drop it off on monday and as Tex mentioned get it back by COB Friday.

And here was their breakdown of the install (incomplete they have to figure a few other things I believe, but the main parts are listed below)

Long arm kit and drive shafts, steering mods 15-20 hrs

Ring and pinion sets 2 nights

Bumpers and tires 2 nights

Edit: And the wheel I'm going with I've actually forgotten the name, it's definitely more of a street styled wheel, black with a brushed lip. I'll throw up a picture of the JK so everyone can see. By the way, I used throw up, since I'm sure that's what most will do when they see it. lol I know, I know I should have gone with Craggar soft 8s.
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

looks good, seems there estimates are pretty close on everything. I think you would have your jeep back with 7-9 business days, or is that night... LOL
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've just never heard of a shop being open only 12hrs a week, which makes the 1 month turn around time completely plausible, but geez. lol

Edit: And the labor rates they gave me did seem fair, but wanted to double check with everyone here. Plus, the owner of the shop couldn't be a nicer guy, putting up with all my emails, questions etc and getting back to me lightning quick.
Unread 06-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #20
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bricktop and Vegas, I was under the impression that Long Arm kits handled better than short On the road. Is this not the case? I've heard everyone who got a LA kit regardless of brand comment on how it actually improved the on road driving. Is this not the case?
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Bricktop and Vegas, I was under the impression that Long Arm kits handled better than short On the road. Is this not the case? I've heard everyone who got a LA kit regardless of brand comment on how it actually improved the on road driving. Is this not the case?

this was true on a very short armed TJ. but on the JK it is just not the case. you get swaying and wandering really bad. your pivoting your axle off a longer point and so it is not going to be as precise.
Unread 06-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #22
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
I was just sitting installing a kit on a Jeep and thought about another thing. If you can get an honest answer form someone at Rubicon Express ask them why they now include a drag link with the Newer 4.5" Long arm kits when the first kits did not include one. They will tell you that the Jeep handled like CRAP and going to a HEavier duty Drag link helped improve steering and handling...... Hold on ill find a link to their site on why they sell this part....

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=85D0C36017695

there you go. The earlier 4.5 kits did not include this. They added this to the kits because it help keep it going down the road better.
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #23
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Vegas (and everyone else who chimed in), thanks for taking the time out to answer all my noob questions. Of course, now I think I might actually have MORE questions, but I feel at least slightly better educated about the whole thing. Now I can pick the brain of the shop a little bit, and see if they recommended the RE Long Arm because I mentioned I was thinking about that and the Teraflex kit or because they felt it was the best lift for my needs. If they think it's the best for my needs, I'll be interested to hear their reasoning as well. Plus, I'll go back to the Teraflex guy and ask him why his is better. I've no doubt he'll think so, but he's been nothing but nice and well considering how he's answered questions, and how he participates on the forums, that counts for something in my book as well. I'm a big fan of supporting companies who take care of their customers (or in this case a potential one), because in my experience it's pretty rare.

As far as the estimate goes, everyone seems to think it's right in the ball park, so that's a good thing and just adds to my confidence in the shop since they didn't seem to have any outrageous mark ups, charges, etc.
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok, after great consideration, the shop who gave me the estimate seems great, the owner Jeff couldn't be nicer, but due to the fact they want to keep my jeep for an entire month, I opted for another shop that's equally well talked up and who's prices are right in line with the first shop. The deciding factor, since both were said to be the 2 best places in the area was that the second place Appalachian Off Road said I'd have my Jeep back in just a few days. I visited with them today and they couldn't have been nicer. Their shop was full of Jeeps that almost turned my black JK Rescue Green with envy.

So once again, thanks to all who chimed in. And if you see this Bricktop I posted a couple questions in your build thread about driveshafts and the AEV screens on the bumper.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.